It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona closing down rest stops due to budget woes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I know your pain.

I used to drive 10E every other month. I would leave on a Friday evening and drive all the way to OK non stop. Bad deal when you have to do number 2 and all the rest stop is closed.

Thats why I think its funny.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bored To Tears
reply to post by Annee

I know your pain.

I used to drive 10E every other month. I would leave on a Friday evening and drive all the way to OK non stop. Bad deal when you have to do number 2 and all the rest stop is closed.

Thats why I think its funny.

You didn't have 9 year olds in the car.

I'm guessing.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

No, but I had a wife with a small bladder and was real annoying.

Does that count.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

No, but I had a wife with a small bladder and was real annoying.

Does that count.

Yeah - well -I am a wife.

Transporting grand children.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Right a letter if it bothers you this much. Short of that the only thing you can do is laugh about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Right a letter if it bothers you this much. Short of that the only thing you can do is laugh about it.

You mean "Write a Letter".

Sorry - I don't find it funny.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Come on now, are we going to start pointing out spelling errors?

I am sorry you are the type of person that gets angry over something they have no control over.

I think the image of cars lined along the side of the highway for a pit stop pretty comical. I'm sure the state will rethink closing them down when it starts to happen.

I will leave you to your anger though, remember that rest stops are a luxery, not a necessity.

Have a good night.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Bored To Tears

Fortunately, you seem to be ignorant, not necessarily stupid. Ignorance can be cured.

The rest stops are a necessity, not luxury. Their primary purpose is to provide a safe place to....wait for it......R-E-S-T. They were installed in the first place to reduce the accident rates due to fatigued drivers, try looking up the history.

Try examining the accident statistics before and after rest stops were put in. The government is endangering the driving populace with this shutdown. It can be easily forseen that accident rates will rise along the roads that now lack these facilities, shall the bodies be dropped at your callous doorstep?

At what point does one stop paying taxes for services undelivered? Rest stops closed, maintenance deferred, health clinics gone...seems to me that all the cuts are in areas used by the people who actually pay taxes. To continue to pay for stuff you don't receive so the money can go to support a banker's gambling addiction is stupid, not merely ignorant.

What do you bet that they'll be reopened as a fee-based concession outsourced to some politically connected business type sometime soon? To continue our investments such as these to be blithely diverted to private profit because the politicians refuse to maintain them is criminally stupid.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

A safe place to rest?

You haven't spent to much time resting at these places have you?

You call them a necessity, I call them a luxery.

You probably think air conditioning is a necessity also.

Thank you for saying that I am ignorant instead of stupid. That was mighty gracious of you.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
A rest stop is safer than pulling over to the side of the road and sleeping there, which is illegal anyway on a lot of roads. Not every driver is local, some are on long journeys and are weary, dangerous to others and themselves.

Air conditioning IS a necessity in some climates, temperatures can occasionally hit lethal ranges. Personally, I don't much use it, but I have lived in places where people died of the heat because they lacked it. I've also lived in climates where people died for lack of heat, damned near died of it myself.

A lot of things that at first blush look like luxuries were installed or created because they saved lives, most people call that progress. Tell me, what do YOU consider a social or personal necessity, enough so that you'd share it with others?

[edit on 27-10-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I have an idea, they can get rid of the photo enforcement cars along all of the above highways!!!!

That would save me money too as I drive the 40 weekly

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
So where's your McCain now?

two lines

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Thankyou. You conveyed what I was trying to in much better words.

We are paying for these things! They take them away.
Now we just pay for what we never see.

I can see the cops pulling people over for whizzing on the side of the road now.

The I-10 has a lot of truckers, and a lot of long distance commuters. I have had to use the rest stop myself a few times when doing long stretches in and out of the city. I am getting older, and I get cramped up in that car.

The I-10 here is already a flood with accidents almost every day. this was stupid to pull them down. They have them barricaded off, and they are taking down the signs.

But yeah, lots of cop traps on the I-10 here for safety, yeah rite!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
not sure they can legaly do that.

Not being from az, i'd question if them closing them is legal, i know here in montana, the rest stops, are sub contracted out , a 3rd party has a contract to keep them clean, upkeep, etc. Normaly the contract is from 1 to 3 years, So if the rest stops there are the same here, then who ever got the bid to take care of them would have a good lawsuit on their hands since they have contract from the state, with a bid.
it would be interesting to see if they are ran by contract, or if the state actualy takes care of them.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Come on now, are we going to start pointing out spelling errors?

I am sorry you are the type of person that gets angry over something they have no control over.

I think the image of cars lined along the side of the highway for a pit stop pretty comical. I'm sure the state will rethink closing them down when it starts to happen.

I will leave you to your anger though, remember that rest stops are a luxery, not a necessity.

Have a good night.

What anger?

It is your emotions you are reading into my post - not mine.

As said - I am 63 - from a time when pull off the road pit stops were the norm - been there - done that.

Preference - as a single woman with minor children in tow - would be a well lit - clean - facility.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarciaBrady
reply to post by Annee

Well if you are in the desert can't you just pull over and go all natural.

You could.

Although, if you get caught then you'll go to jail, trial, and end up having to register as a sex offender.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Actually I do not see how they can NOT make money on them . Shoot, charge for the toilet, get the snack machines out there. Of course anything government run can not make money,lol

A lot of places around here will not let you use the restroom unless you are customer.

Pay toilets? That's my worst nightmare!

"Sorry you have no money, guess you're gonna have to crap your pants!"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join