It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where have all the war protesters gone?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
How's that working out?

I dont really care how its working out. We pushed ourselves into this war like trigger happy dixies years before this administration and found ourselves in a mess. I support any measure that doesnt support cowboy tactics. The 2 year withdrawal is what I support, it is a withdrawal from the war regardless of "how its going". It'd be irresponsible to pull out like that as fast as we jumped ourselves in. Its this cowboy rush that in part got us into this mess.

In dont know why on earth your going on about the Iraq war that was not started by this administration. If there wasnt a withdrawal process you'd have a point but you dont.

www.cnn.com...

Ofcourse its bad. Its not our war, its Mr Bushes. We'r just taking the responsible way out and withdrawing in a fased plan however you choose to view it. So really whats your point? I support that the garbage inherited from the last administration is Obama's fault?? Or are you motivated to blame?

So the protests are only against American lives being lost?

Your questioning why there are protestors protesting a war thats already in a withdrawal process? Did you know that soldiers were still dying the minute Obama took office? Suppose Obama only declared an official withdrawal on the day he took office, would he blame for the hours in which those soldiers died where he assumed office?

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Wasn't the complaint that Osama isn't in Afghanistan?

No. You refering to the truther movement that crosses both ideological lines, not the anti-war protests.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It is amazing but the military has broken inductee quotas redords in decades.

Here's one protester and HERO: Matthew Hoh

[edit on 27-10-2009 by AnotherSon]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
When people say "Support Our Troops", they usually mean "Support Our War".

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
I dont really care how its working out.

...it is a withdrawal from the war regardless of "how its going".

Fair enough, I think this is all the information I need for this dialogue. Someday when it's your life at stake, perhaps then the caring will kick in. All the best, I need to turn my attention to those who do care and those who are dying...like today:

"October 28, 2009 6:43 a.m. EDT. ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- A powerful car bomb ripped through a bustling marketplace in Peshawar Wednesday, killing at least 90 people -- most of them women -- a government official said.

The blast at the Meena Bazaar injured more than 200 others, according to North West Frontier Province's information minister. The market is a labyrinth of shops popular with women in the Peepal Mandi section of the city.

The attack is the deadliest ever carried out in Peshawar and is among the country's deadliest.

A suicide car bombing on October 9 in Khyber Bazaar, a commercial hub in Peshawar, killed at least 49 people and injured 135 others." - www.cnn.com...

[edit on 28-10-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I have to give it to you, you made the best post so far.

Thank You , Thank You... I'll be here all week.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Even at the height of the "protests" against the current war, they were always much smaller and more artificial than the protests in the Vietnam era. The media, stocked with a larger-than-average proportion of nostalgic ex-hippies at the upper levels, hyped the "movement" and there were a handful of true diehards, but the "antiwar movement" against Iraq was NOTHING like the groundswell against Vietnam back in the day.

Some people would say it means folks today are less "idealistic" or "socially aware" than those in the Vietnam era, but as far as I'm concerned that's total garbage. The ugly truth is that what people in the Vietnam era were prostesting, for the most part, was not the war itself...whether they knew it or not, they were protesting the DRAFT. They were afraid of the draft impacting themselves, their boyfriends, and their male relatives. Once the US went to an all-volunteer military, 90% of people stopped caring because it wasn't their problem anymore.

With a few exceptions and except for on a few occasions, most humans are generally self-interested creatures. This holds true whether they wear tie-dies or pinstripes.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
The ugly truth is that what people in the Vietnam era were prostesting, for the most part, was not the war itself...whether they knew it or not, they were protesting the DRAFT. They were afraid of the draft impacting themselves, their boyfriends, and their male relatives. Once the US went to an all-volunteer military, 90% of people stopped caring because it wasn't their problem anymore.

With a few exceptions and except for on a few occasions, most humans are generally self-interested creatures. This holds true whether they wear tie-dies or pinstripes.

This is a very interesting point, thanks for pointing it out. Do you think the people who prostest this time were more in fear of the draft returning? I was wondering why there was so much protest in the government sending those who signed up for war to go to war. It's been a while since I read the contract, but I think I recall it being a possibility written rather clearly when joining the service. I wish there were no war, but also respect that I may not understand the route to get to the 'end of war' scenario.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I heard a protester! I don't know if he's the only one or merely just one with a microphone but his name is Michael Moore. Details can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although I wholeheartedly disagree with him, one thing I can say is that he is consistent with his message.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Dup post, sorry. Mod delete if you like.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I doubt anyone expected Obama to bring them home instantly, but the protesting will be back in force if he doesn't pick up the pace.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Here is my personal favorite to get the anti-war movement up and going again.
I would love to protest on capitol hill with everyone singing this song.

I love the will work for food signs comment, so sad but true.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

People in the Vietnam era didn't have to get permits.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is why you won't find me in the street protesting.
www.youtube.com...

The PTB can call any group of people an unlawful assembly and hurt you.

The PTB are in complete control.

How does your future look now?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
How does your future look now?

Very interesting, thank you for posting. It looked like the opening scene of Soylent Green without people rioting/resisting. I'd be interested in more context to the video as far as what happened to start this. I'm also wondering how the university is going to get their coveted tuition when they're beating up their students and fearmongering potential freshmen. Finally, I'm curious as to what an 'unlawful assembly' is.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
I think the whole ant-war mentality is "uncool" these days. I mean look at Hollywood. Even they are "support the troops" more than ever. It's almost unAmerican these days to even think about criticizing the war let alone the troops.

Big steaming piles of dissembling partizan crap.

It was obscene and terrible until Obama got into office.

Now killing for peace is cool again because Obama says so.

Politics and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Weren't there protestors in the streets last time this happened in Iraq?

US service member detained for allegedly shooting Afghan civilians, NATO says

People were killed in the shooting spree in Kandahar province, Gov. Tooryalai Wesa said, though he did not provide numbers. "The incident happened. There are some people killed, some wounded. But I don't have the details," Wesa said in a phone interview. Read more: www.foxnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...?test=latestnews

No blood for oil and such. We gotten involved in Egypt, Libya, and Afghanistan bombings/shootings. Soon to be Iran (oil again, right?) and Syria it seems too.
edit on 11-3-2012 by saint4God because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Protesting does nothing. The government will do whatever they want. Do you really think the elite give a # about anyone but themselves? Protesting is worthless. We best get ready for the worst. Arm yourself and gather supplies.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by squints2010
Protesting does nothing. The government will do whatever they want. Do you really think the elite give a # about anyone but themselves? Protesting is worthless.

The reason why this seems to be the case is because the government isn't really economically dependent on the people. It would take everyone at once to refuse paying taxes to shake the purse out of the government's hands. When groups of people get together and file a class action against a company, they change instantly. When people stop buying a company's product, they scramble to please the masses.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join