It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latvia has fallen meteorite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Latvia has fallen meteorite

www.vesti.ru

In the area of the Latvian city Mazsalaca now fallen meteorite crater 20 m wide and a depth of 5 meters, no one was hurt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

YouTube Video/ Credits:Brothers in Arms

Another source for the story. Credits: ArMaP

Another source

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[mod edit: fixed source link to translated article.]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 25-10-2009 by psycho13]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
MODS: Don't remove please. Long time lurker, first post. Link to source provided. News is in Russian. Source is reputable. I translated one for one(verify via Google translator). I haven't seen it hit English media yet, so feel free to add links. I will update once English channels add this. I don't see a reason for removing the original. Please at least explain to me first?

Direct translation:
A meteorite fell today in the region of a Latvian city Mazsalatsa, forming a crater 20m wide and 5m deep, no one got hurt.

I will not speculate at all in this try, hoping this time the post stays.

Mods, please at least tell me what I did wrong, so I know for the future.

www.vesti.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Here's more from the same source:

"This happened around 18.30. Now on the scene working rescuers and police, they cordoned off the crater, so that no one was hurt. We are not completely sure that this is a meteorite, since, according to witnesses, something fell from the sky and it was a fire. At Currently the most important thing to find out whether there is radiation. For the current night we find out, "- told the assistant chief of the State Fire and Rescue Service (GPSS) Inga Vetere.

At the scene, sent representatives of the Latvian Center for Radiation and the National Armed Forces of the country, ITAR-TASS.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The Mod changed the original post to go through Google Auto translation, so the title and text changed form and meaning. I don't like it, but whatever, as long as it stays.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If genuine, that would be one amazing thing to witness. I mean since when has this sort of thing ever happened in the last century? (by that I mean an actual crater, not just an air burst/break up... Tunguska i guess would be the most recent, if in deed it was a meteorite)

My question is.. is this just the first of more to come, i mean this could be simply a small part of a larger collection of debri? Maybe the 26th and onward really does have something in store, most likely not, but hey... its getting interesting.

Or maybe the moons decided to test for water

[edit on 25-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by psycho13

Interesting!
Isnt 20m quite large for a meteor? i thought meteors are barely noticeable on impact/entry?

they arent even sure themselves? AND they have armed troops.. what the hell!

EDIT: resources2.news.com.au... that's a 25 metre hole.. so 20m must be rather big... ooo anymore info on this before it gets swept under the rug?

even if it's not "exotic" i.e alien/ufo it could be signifact in terms of science.

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I felt a small tremor here in poland at about 35 minutes past midnight local time. We get the odd tremors once twice a year. But from a meteorite? Freaks me out to think how this could have landed right on top of me.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I remember back on Octuber 7th of last year, there were some time wave zero predictions, and if I'm not wrong that evening the first meteor to fall to earth witnessed by mankind crashed in Sudan.

I think Time Wave Zero is indeed working, the only problem is that people think that everything that matters is the USA, but definetely there are things happening, like the bombs in Irak and now the meteor.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

just to give an idea of a 25 m crater

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
reply to post by psycho13

Interesting!
Isnt 20m quite large for a meteor? i thought meteors are barely noticeable on impact/entry?

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

Given the speed youd think a meteorite would be traveling, i guess the energy it would impart would mean while the crater was large, the rock it self might have been quite small? Say a foot across? or less.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

beat you to that pic on a above post

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedtobehuman

Actually it was an earthquake. Must be quite a few today. Some reported, some not yet.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The last craters I can remember from Memory are that of one hitting a Mountain in Scandinavia and the South American one (which infamously released gas from a subterranean pipeline it hit.)

20 meters in Latvia is something significant, the Asteroid that was 5 meters across and tracked by NASA only left meteoric debris across Central Africa (although a Airburst was confirmed), I'd imagine the shockwave radius would be much greater aswell.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Check out the Youtube video.

Never seen one right after touchdown.

link   
What really scares me the most is where was the warning. I mean with all the

satellite advances. Surely we can launch enough to form a network zone. At

least it would give some advanced notice to shout like,"TAKE COVER", or

"GOOD BYE CRUEL WORLD". Anything would help.

link   
The armed gaurds are there to protect the people around the site from some ET poping out and stealing an Edgar type suit from some unexpecting farmer.....sounds like the same size as the crash site in men in Black....

[edit on 25-10-2009 by Reevster]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Brothers in Arms

Awesome. Very nice find.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I once recalled a Meteor expert saying that Meteoric debris is rarely (if ever) hot to touch after impact as they only ever have 7 seconds from upper atmosphere to ground level impact in which energy is converted from mass to heat. But damn, that video goes to throw that theory out the window completely.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Looks more like 20 feet in diameter. Nevertheless great find!!!

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Brothers in Arms

awesome! great find, never seen one after crash before... seriously cool looking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join