It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say is man's greatest fear?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

To be forgotten. Then how do you want to be remembered?

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

None will ever live long enough to know everything, unless you believe in.....Infinity, Eternity, Forever, Everlasting. Sorry for all the words to me they all mean the same.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

failure is attached to many things like:

-winning presidential vote -> (do things to stay in office and not get impeached)

-for illuminati to conquer the world (for illluminati existant believers, just an Example) + and anybody else who wants to.

-gays wanting to have equal rights

i can go on and on but that should give u the idea of why failure is possibly the greatest fear of man.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well to have the thought in the first place separates certain levels of intelligence. The general population 'don't care'. So that leaves those that 'do care' which would likely fall into the camp of philosophers, scientists and scholars.. which are predominately non-religious folks. I think the greatest fear is lack of human advancement. The Idiocracy effect where ignoramuses multiply and embrace stupidity which ostracizes intelligence and advancement of man. Even now those who have the ability to advance mankind are spit upon, called elitists, evil, etc. The basis for this of course is organized religion which is designed to keep the populous dumbed down, multiplying and tithing. The biggest fear is going backwards into superstition and irrational behavior. The last stand is the rising Atheist movement, but they are outnumbered and outgunned. The greatest fear is among us.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I believe since the dawn of man we have tried everything possible to be remembered for our deeds by erecting building which would stand the test of time, to wage great wars etc etc. Heck, for most men it is the soul reason why the reproduce.....to leave something behind by which they shall be remembered....

To have lived and to be forgotten is men's greatest fear

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Simple...

Right here.

Right now.

And that it be all.

Everything else is to avoid staring that in the face.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by platipus

Well I would argue that to succeed is his greatest fear. Because there are fewer in the world successful than are not successful.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,

Firstly to be politically correct the question should not be what is man's greatest fear but what is someone's greatest fear.

My answer, there is only two real fear's in the world, based on natural evolution of being human.

These are a) Sound, we all get startled by loud noises or eerie sounds
b) Visual, some say vertigo or bright flashes or darkness

Every other fear is created in our minds. Therefore a person's greatest fear is of not knowing how our own minds work.

Deactivating Fear and Panic through NLP

My greatest fear is losing my senses; being blind and deaf!

Regards,
E.T

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

I would argue that the fear of lack of advancement would only concern the one's interested enough to study it. I mean look how fast we have advanced within the past 20 years.

answers.yahoo.com...

Global positioning system. Tracks where you are with satalites to within something like 2 metres.

Guns. Look up AK-47 or M16/M4 on dictionary.com then click on encyclapidia.com . They tell you everything about the wepon. It's actually surprising the technology that went into them.

Rotary Engine. Only recently has this been discovered/invented and only Mazda has the rights to it (as opposed to combustion engine).

Satalites themselves? We're using actually Star Trek style perpulsion on satalites now called 'ion propulsion'. It actually (now I don't remember exactly) but it turns protons into electrons (or the other way around) and essentially propels itself by deflecting itself away from atoms! You know how positive and positive deflect from eachother (magnets), it's like that but it's pushing off of atoms.

Other than that I can't think of anything else (even thought there's like 1000's of things you could do), you just sorta sprung this one on me. I'll add details if I think of anything else.

* 3 years ago

* Report Abuse

Asker's Rating:
4 out of 5
Asker's Comment:
i actually ended up doing a video camera. it worked out pretty well. thanks for all your help anyway!

Is this what you are searching for?

* Rating: Good Answer
* Rating: Bad Answer

* 0 stars - mark this as Interesting!
Who found this interesting?

Be the first person to mark this question as interesting!
* Email
* Comment (0)
* Save
o Add to private Watchlist
o Save to Yahoo! Bookmarks
o Add to My Yahoo!
o Add to Del.icio.us
o RSS

There are currently no comments for this question.

* You must be logged into Answers to add comments. Sign in or Register.
Other Answers (7)
Show:

Mr. G by Mr. G

Total points:
14902 (Level 6)

o Add to My Contacts
o Block User
How about the INTERNET??

Civilian GPS devices

PDA's

Computers have changed by leaps and bounds in the past 20 years.

DVD Players

And that's just naming a few!!
o 3 years ago
o 0 Rating: Good Answer
o 0 Rating: Bad Answer
o Report Abuse
bigboo194606 by bigboo19...

Total points:
165 (Level 1)

o Add to My Contacts
o Block User
When u say technology, are u limited to just computer technology? There were so many advances made in building materials, Stem cell research, plastic surgery and many more.
o 3 years ago
o 0 Rating: Good Answer
o 0 Rating: Bad Answer
o Report Abuse
enufwork by enufwork

Total points:
31841 (Level 7)

o Add to My Contacts
o Block User
Automated DNA sequencing.

Cloning mammals.

Materials with negative index of refraction.

So I can't see lack of advancement being a concern.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Conclusion,

Seeing the amount of responses i would say it is about time for a star and a flag for you philosophical question....

Here you go.....

Peace

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Nice one.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Thank you my friend.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by eclectic.thoughts

I apologize. I have offended your senses. I am truly sorry.

A loud sound that will not hurt me. I can think of more fearful situations.

OK losing senses. Very good one. Alone. No contact with the outside world. It would be scary, but also a nice break from what is going on today. What about the people who have over come this challenge. They are the true success stories.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

So the fear of the unknown. That is where I classify that because there are religions that claim to know. So that would be covered. Every thought in your head about that moment. Is it true that it will be the way each individual see's the after death scenario. I am inclined to believe that after death is the same for all. At least if you argue it from a evolutionary stand point it would have to be the same for all.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Mans greatest fear is truth! Truth hurts. People would rather hear a gentle lie than a painful truth. People live there whole lives hiding in darkness only hearing the things they want to hear, only seeing what they want to see. Mans greatest fear is a fear of reality!!

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Conclusion agreed!

My fear of losing my senses is my own fear but then it should not really be fear because as you said, there are so many individuals in the world who have overcome difficulties in their life like blindness, becoming deaf that people can learn and be inspired from.

Which my whole point is that Fear does not exist, we create it ourselves and we have the ability to eliminate fear ourselves. Whether unreal fears, useful fears and cultural fears we are all amazing in our ability to overcome any fear.

Quote - AUNG SAN SUU KYI:
"Fear is not the natural state of civilized people"

Regards,
E.T

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

That is a good one also. To be forgotten. There are more people forgotten than remembered in history. Only those who do wonders, outstanding things, are remembered. Quiet right. If you really wish to be remembered then do something great. If someone wants something bad enough 80 to 90 percent of the time they work for it. So if being remembered is what you want statistics are with ya. So that cant really be a fear.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Losing my mind is my greatest fear, I cant imagine what it would be like to not know that I am losing my mind and not be in control.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

That is a big one. A lot of people fear to lose their mind. I deal with it on a somewhat daily basis. I work at an elderly home. I have seen the after math of what happens. I hope you have someone that is sympathetic to your needs if that happens. Someone to take care of you. Someone who understands that even in that state you can still laugh and smile and be happy.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

i guess it would be control since it has to do with losing the mind and many more things aswell?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join