It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you say is man's greatest fear?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I can't speak for anyone else, but mine is boredom. Only when I'm bored do I think of other things to be frightened of.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
mans greatest fear is life........
kx

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by shamhat

Boredom. Hmmm. Easily fixed. Get a hobby, 2nd job, ect... Maybe that's why they say," Idle hands is the work of the Devil." Could be I guess.

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

That is a very good answer. If there was no life there would be no fear. I think you are on to something. Star for you my friend.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
My greatest fear is eternal separation from God and Jesus after I die which as long as I keep my faith and obedience in Him, it will not happen. When you deny Christ and do not repent before you die, you will live in eternal torment with the ones that hate you the most (satan and his impe soldiers) and will suffer tremendous physical and mental pain. Jesus has given us a "gift" and if we throw that "gift" back at Him it's like spitting in the face of your best friend, but far worse.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
man is terrified of the unknown

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Conclusion

There are many things man may fear.
I choose the truth, being betrayed by those closet to you, death, and the unknown

Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
In time we hate that which we often fear.
William Shakespeare

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by variola major

There are many things man may fear.
I choose the truth, being betrayed by those closet to you, death, and the unknown

Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
In time we hate that which we often fear.
William Shakespeare

Very poetic and true. Good job

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Not to get off topic here.. but speaking of fear of the unknown (which I truly believed for a long time) some people say it doesn't exist. I read this and completely disagree. But if it doesn't exist, we can't be afraid of it. Hmm.

www.lifeshouldfeelgood.net...

Other than that, I also believe man's greatest fear is life. Page 78 of this book is very good:

books.google.com... &hl=en&ei=iETnSqOJB8utlAeD6qz_Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22greatest%20fear%20is%20life%22&f=false

-OpenOutcome

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think man's greatest fear is being wrong. So many wars have been fought and lives destroyed over opposing viewpoints, religious beliefs, political beliefs, etc. This site shows many examples of it, as points of view and beliefs are argued over, entirely on a basis of "if you're right, then I'm wrong, and I don't want to believe I could be wrong, therefore you must be".

The quest for actual truth is too often thrown to the way side. We don't want to discover the truth, we want to already be right, and we're prepared to kill to protect our way of being right.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by openoutcome

I covered that in a previous post.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

That is a very good observation. star for you.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Man's greatest fear is himself. He fears himself so much that he actively seeks to destroy his own success... day in and day out. We are all guilty of it. Once we succeed, the game is over. We defeat ourselves, and we always will, in hopes that we may overcome our defections... and for every piece of beauty we create, there is ugliness and we repel from our own glory. It's not that we hate ourselves. It's that we love ourselves....secretly.... and we only wish the best for ourselves, and we must fear ourselves in order to master ourselves. Fear is not wrong. Hate is not wrong. There is no wrong. There is only being and becoming, and that path is full of fear and trembling.

"When the desert leaves you dry, drink your own blood."

The desert leaves us in fear and trembling of our circumstances, until we are so spent and so tired and so thirsty that we have no other choice but to cut ourselves wide open and feast on our insides. From our blood, the flowers bloom... from our death, the world lives. From our fear comes understanding.

We fear ourselves because we love ourselves. We fear success because we wish to taste it for the first time. We are renewed by fire.

We don't fear death as much as we fear life. Death is the easy part.

It is odd, I know. But fear makes the world go round.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath DeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeathDeath
is man's greatest fear

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
ok point taken...Death. what is death? What happens after death? That is the fear....the unknown. Noth knowing what happens to...your conscience or "soul" does it die with the physical shell? There are many questions about death and much to learn...

sorry had to put that short thought fragment out there, don't let this deter anyone from the main "point" of the post....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
CLOWN LAUGHS.

and something about a nwo, idk.

HORSES CHARGING AT ME.

RABIES.

A WET CAT.

COCKROACH ANNIALTION OF HUMANNITY.

BALLOONS.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
another one just came to mind:

IF THE GOVERNMENT DECIDED TO TELL US THE TRUTH.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

think of the conciquences. you'd get a premium package of chaos, anarchy, war, rape, castration, annialation, hell on earth, confusion, mass suicide rate, loss of all hope, loss of conciousness, loss of morality, loss of words, loss of virginity, clowns, and uniquely greusome forms of death. thank you, SAW for that one.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

What about the aspect of personality in fear? Go figure out your enneagram type everyone. A Fives basic fear for example Being useless or incapable.

www.enneagraminstitute.com...

[edit on 28-10-2009 by katesbush]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by openoutcome
Not to get off topic here.. but speaking of fear of the unknown (which I truly believed for a long time) some people say it doesn't exist. I read this and completely disagree. But if it doesn't exist, we can't be afraid of it. Hmm.

www.lifeshouldfeelgood.net...

-OpenOutcome

While I am at work and not going to delve into this fully it seems the main point here is that "The unknown only occurs in the future and what do we know about the future? It’s another myth that doesn’t exist because as we know, tomorrow never comes" I would have to argue the unknown is not strictly tied to temporal points (the unknown only lies in the future). Hell there could be aliens running around right now that I don't know about, they could be in my office building without my knowledge and that scares me enough. Just to say it won't be an unknown when they abduct me and I have determined they were indeed aliens, doesn't mean it wasn't an unknown in the past. But seriously, this person is claiming the future is a myth due to the fact the future never arrives? Who is to say the future isn't happening right now just as much as the present or the past for that matter, but I can only be conscious of the present. I am not dead but that doesn't mean that I don't know I will die, I am well aware of the fact that one day I won't be here. While I am not personally afraid of this fact, I think many people are. Overall I agree with the idea that people should try to live more in the present though as long as they realize the past will always exist in memory and the future will always be imagined (in my mind an imagination counts as existence).

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Vicious Jones]

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Vicious Jones]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Chicks.

Hell hath no fury for a woman's scorn.

Behind every great man there is a great woman, simply because she is pulling the strings.

So many times I have friends where they get with a girl and they turn into wimps, they are "pussywhipped" or "under the thumb". It is because they are scared of feeling that woman's wrath.

So I say that men are scared of women

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join