It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists announce new planets discovered!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Astronomers have announced a haul of planets found beyond our Solar System.

The 32 "exoplanets" ranged in size from five times the mass of Earth to 5-10 times the mass of Jupiter, the researchers said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Hmm.....wonder if this could tie in with Nirbiru?

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link
Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Oct 19 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
S&F.

It's only a matter of time now...Christian fundamentalists are outraged that we're exploring the galaxy. I remember once I had a "friendly" debate with a crazy Christian at college. I was discussing the probability of finding a planet with life, without any assistance. He said "That's impossile, we're the only life in the universe." I literally just started to crack up. Here was a 22 year old, insisting that humans were the lone species in the galaxy AND universe. It was pretty funny.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
SandF on the good find.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Why does the planet have to be near Earth sized to sustain life? Is there a size limit on planets for being able to produce life? Why couldn't a much larger planet do it if the conditions were right?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
S&F.

It's only a matter of time now...Christian fundamentalists are outraged that we're exploring the galaxy. I remember once I had a "friendly" debate with a crazy Christian at college. I was discussing the probability of finding a planet with life, without any assistance. He said "That's impossile, we're the only life in the universe." I literally just started to crack up. Here was a 22 year old, insisting that humans were the lone species in the galaxy AND universe. It was pretty funny.

There are people who are still convinced that the world is flat......

There are many christians that fear if they believe in anything that could slightly disprove their beliefs they go with the ostrich head in the ground approach rather than listening to reason....While I'm not saying I don't believe in god (I do) but I'm not going to let my religion blind me to science

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Exoplanets are not new really. In fact, there is a website dedicated to the cataloging them as they were found. This site was established in 1995 and we are now up to 403 planets. You can find all kings of neat data such as the year of planet’s discovery, mass, radius, orbital period, semi-major axis, eccentricity, inclination, longitude of periastron, time of periastron, maximum time variation, and time of transit, including all error range values.

Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Interesting news. For some reason I have a tendency to feel like we either do or should know where most other planets are, so every time one, or in this case, a whole huge group, is discovered, it's pretty cool. It adds more mysteriousness to the universe I guess. Anyway, I'm sure the Nibiru crowd will be interested in this.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBinxMonster3

S&F.

There are people who are still convinced that the world is flat......

There are many christians that fear if they believe in anything that could slightly disprove their beliefs they go with the ostrich head in the ground approach rather than listening to reason....While I'm not saying I don't believe in god (I do) but I'm not going to let my religion blind me to science
I talked to a lot of Christians about evolution and the Earth. They said there's no way the Earth is billions of years old. They asked why there weren't fossils to prove that we evolved. They even denied that there was life farther past then Adam and Eve. They think Adam and Eve just started and poof there was humans. I believe that we will find information that puts religion and science hand in hand in my life time.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

S&F.

With our current knowledge...he (crazy christian) is correct, unless you know something no one else does. Saying there is other life out their is just as crazy as saying there is a God.

Both (aliens and God) have never been seen, so how are you any different from him?

Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

No our current knowledge dictates that there is NO way we are the only life in the universe.

Statistically speaking anyway. And it's not a lack of knowledge it's a lack of tools.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

S&F.

Wow, second post in and we're already going off topic in order to start some Christian bashing agenda.

So then if that's the case then provided the evidence that we're not alone. Provide the hard cold evidence then and prove that "crazy" Christian wrong.

And before you go on to bash me for being some loony fundie, I'm not religious. And before you go one and call me ignorant of the subject, I am in fact a backyard amateur astronomer with a pile of books on the subject taller then you or I stacked. I do grasp our insignificance somewhat.

I personally do believe that we are not alone but I wouldn't be so arrogant and elite in my view to bash and ridicule someone elses belief being our views are not proven the least bit. So how is his wrong? Personally I think it was just another lame excuse to get the daily Christian bash in.

As far as the topic, thanks for the link! That's great news and finding new Planets is always exciting.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
SandF on the good find.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me. Why does the planet have to be near Earth sized to sustain life? Is there a size limit on planets for being able to produce life? Why couldn't a much larger planet do it if the conditions were right?

It's not that at all. Depends what kind of life you are asking about...Human life would need earth like conditions, depending on size of the planet, would have to be contrasted by a sun that equals our sun:earth ratio [I believe]. I'm sure there are planets beyond the size of our planet that can sustain life. Someone correct me if I am wrong..

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand
With our current knowledge...he (crazy christian) is correct, unless you know something no one else does. Saying there is other life out their is just as crazy as saying there is a God.

Both (aliens and God) have never been seen, so how are you any different from him?

Peace

I don't dispute the fact that a Source of consciousness, or God if you prefer, exists. As far as aliens vs God, I think there is more substantial evidence for us to scientifically hypothesize that aliens potentially exist moreso than God. Whether that is on an intelligent or micro level has yet to be determined.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by DocEmrick]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

No our current knowledge dictates that there is NO way we are the only life in the universe.

Statistically speaking anyway. And it's not a lack of knowledge it's a lack of tools.

~Keeper

The difference between theory and fact.

If there is NO way we are alone, where are the aliens?

Do we have "knowledge" of other life forms outside of our planet? If not, then how is it not a lack of knowledge?

Saying statistically that there must be life outside of our planet is NOT saying there is life outside of our planet.

One is a theory using statistics, the other plain fact. This doesn't mean it isn't possible, but until that evidence is presented why take it as fact? Why not just say "I don't know", because honestly we don't know.

I don't know....see it's easy.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by letthereaderunderstand

Peace

I don't dispute the fact that a Source of consciousness, or God if you prefer, exists. As far as aliens vs God, I think there is more substantial evidence for us to scientifically hypothesize that aliens potentially exist moreso than God. Whether that is on an intelligent or micro level has yet to be determined.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by DocEmrick]

Hey DocEmrick,

I'm not saying there is a God, at least not an invisible one. I stand with you on the "source". Heck, I've witnessed many ufo's from orange orbs to black rectangles, but just because i've seen these things that I can't understand doesn't lead me to believe they are alien in nature, but rather unexplainable phenom.

I live in San Diego, so more then likely the things I've seen are military. The orange orbs are called "foo fighters" and have been on record since WW2 maybe even farther back. Using occums razor I derive they are most likely man made, but "I don't know".

Thanks for your response,

Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

To whores then!

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

To whores then!

To Whores!! I tip my 40 to your memory....

Bless you my son.....

Peace

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

yes the size does matter.

Right now we think we could go up to 2 earth mass in size and still have a habitable world. Current theories predict if its bigger than this the planet will hold onto too much gas and end up like neptune or another planet with an extremely thick atmosphere. No sunlight would reach the ground.

If a planet is too small like mars it deosnt have enough gravity to hold onto its atmosphere and will lose most of it.

Planets between 0.75 - 2 earth mass are considered good for earth like conditions.

[edit on 19-10-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
THIS discussion of God ad Aliens imprints the imagery of men arguing over the hue of the shadow cast on the cave walls. Is it akin to black or more of a white...?

btw, inside that cave i`m partaking in the group claiming that life elsewhere is statistically plausible (or quite certain -- we`re still figuring out the saturations of 'our' shadow).

On topic: great news OP. and more important then the discovery itself -- of this 32 planets -- is the realisation that our planet ins`t such an exception

"From [our] results, we know now that at least 40% of solar-type stars have low-mass planets. This is really important because it means that low-mass planets are everywhere, basically," explained Stephane Udry from Geneva University, Switzerland

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by maoklein
THIS discussion of God ad Aliens imprints the imagery of men arguing over the hue of the shadow cast on the cave walls. Is it akin to black or more of a white...?

btw, inside that cave i`m partaking in the group claiming that life elsewhere is statistically plausible (or quite certain -- we`re still figuring out the saturations of 'our' shadow).

On topic: great news OP. and more important then the discovery itself -- of this 32 planets -- is the realisation that our planet ins`t such an exception

"From [our] results, we know now that at least 40% of solar-type stars have low-mass planets. This is really important because it means that low-mass planets are everywhere, basically," explained Stephane Udry from Geneva University, Switzerland

Never said it wasn't possible. All things are possible. All I was saying is that at this moment in time, we are the only life we know of. When ET phones home...GREAT, until then who cares.

Like Kennedy said, "I could care less for space, we are only spending 7 million on the desalination of water and an ungodly amount on space, but if we are going to do it, we must be first"...."Second is nice, but it is second."...I'm paraphrasing, but it is something to that effect.

Kennedy was not interested in space at all. He only wanted to do it for the ego of the American Ideology.

We can't even feed people and we are worried about space....makes no sense. That's the only point I was trying to make. Why waste time on "possibilities" when we have real issues right here on earth?

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBinxMonster3

Yeah, besides it won't disprove their beliefs only the way it was fed to them. The bible for example does not say there isn't other life out there. It just talks about the earth. It does not specifically say there is no life outside the earth.

What it does say is to explore and question. It tells us to learn. It tells us to discover. If anything christian teaching should promote the exploration of our universe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join