It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bloody Battle Sparks Olympics Security Fears for Brazil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Bloody Battle Sparks Olympics Security Fears for Brazil

news.sky.com

Drug dealers shot down a police helicopter during a gun battle between rival gangs, killing two officers and injuring four other people.

Ten suspected dealers were also killed in the fighting in a shanty town, and two bystanders were injured, officials said.

The helicopter came down when bullets from the gun battle hit the aircraft as it hovered overhead.

The pilot was hit in the leg, causing him to lose control and crash-land on a football field.

Two officers on board died, while the pilot and three other policemen escaped as the craft exploded. All four suffered burns.

At leas
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 10/18/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Looks like the Security forces in parts of Brazil have a lot to deal with before the World Cup in 2014 & the Olympics in 2016!!

Bloody gun battles in Rio have caused major problems for innocent residents... they have to put up with this daily it seems.... all over drugs & cash of course.... now shooting Police Choppers out of the sky.... you've gotta see this to believe it, just go to the link! (At least reports say it was possibly meant or could have been stray bullets).

Almost like watching a Film.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-10-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This has been going on for years, how many times do cops also kill suspects but when British cops kill one Brazillian in London it is world news, when cops in Brazil shoot and kill no one cares. Brazil has twice the murder rate than America, it is like South Africa, it is not a pretty neighbourhood.

Good luck, I hope the Olympics like the football team covers Brazil's problems up. Actually maybe it is best to say I hope it soothes with the spirit of celebration than conflicts.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
just watch City of God to get a good understanding of what Brazilian slums are like. Then watch Manda Bala to understand the levels of corruption in Brazil.

The flavalas or Brazilian slums are some hardcore places. Like the article said though its not just the Olympics ot be concerned about but the World Cup in 2014 as well two years prior to the Olympics.

I think the Brazilian govt will pull through however, with its recent discovery of the massive Tupi oil field they will have enough funds and resources at the very least as collateral if the oil field is not producing significant amount by then to build the needed infrastructure and security to make the events be relatively flawless.

The country has to much riding on it, considering they are a bric economy and want a more dominant role in world affairs they need ot prove their capability.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

You're right... they do need to prove it just like South Africa need to prove it next year.....

BTW I have seen City Of God when it first came out so i understood the problems there.... although you would have thought by now that these slum areas would have been sorted out by now.... seems to take a long while to get these areas sorted out, not just in Brazil but all around the World where there are these slum areas....

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That's one of the many reasons a lot of people here in Brazil didn't want the Olympics in Rio. The Rio/Brazilian govt don't have any authority inside the favelas. When they try to do something, things like this happens.

And this wars between the govt and the drug dealers are normal on the major cities of Brazil. The only difference is that a helicopter was shot down in Rio. That brought attention from the media.

And you know what. Nothing it's gonna change before the World Cup or the Olympic Games. This violence comes from a long time, and it's only getting worst. And our govt is on a surreal level of corruption, so you can be sure that a big part of the money that they say it's going to be invested in Rio i'ts actually going to their pockets.

[edit on 18/10/09 by Canslli]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So the increasingly violent race protests/riots in the UK are not a concern for security for the coming 2012 Olympic games?

Or how about the out of control gang problems in the UK?
Or the out of control binge drinking?
Or the potential terrorist threat? London has been targeted before. The Olympics are the biggest sporting festival in the world.

I love Anglo media and the bias they openly show.

Athens wasn't going to be ready. Stadiums were going to be unfinished and construction sites still come the start of the games(nobody in Athens was actually worried mind you...., all the hysteria was in Anglo media).

The main stadium for London 2012 had construction work cease for months, but no hysteria.

South Africa for next years world cup. Same sort of hysteria. Because only in South Africa is there a violent gang problem. It doesn't exist in London.
It didn't exist in Atlanta in 1996.

Brazil for 2014 world cup and 2016 Olympics. Same sort of hysteria starting up.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BLV12

I dont think terrorist activities at the world cup or Olympics are a real threat just like I dont think terrorists would attack the UN building in NY or elsewhere. As it will be counter productive for their cause.

What is a problem in London is the hooligan threat, binge drinking is not a big deal its done everywhere in the world all the time, but when you mix it with a soccer hooligan culture that is when its a problem.

The worries about south Africa have more to do with the lack of proper security forces, as seen in the riots some year ago or so. But I think the real problem with s Africa is the god damn horns they use at the games, anyone watch the fifa cup? the spectators had some sort of weird horrible buzzers blasting non stop.

You cannot compare the size or strength of the gangs of Rio and Brazil or the levels of corruption of Brazil with that of England or Greece or the US. Brazil has some very serious issues with those two things, but the hope is that they will get them sorted out over the next 4-5 years.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The 2x violence isn't enough to keep me from wanting to chill with Brazilian women on the beach. Just saying..

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12
So the increasingly violent race protests/riots in the UK are not a concern for security for the coming 2012 Olympic games?

Or the potential terrorist threat? London has been targeted before. The Olympics are the biggest sporting festival in the world.

I am not sure the media is being biast because they speak about protests and knife crime and potential terror threats to London all the time, well SKy news and the BBC do anyway.

The difference in Brazil is that is way up in terms of scale of violence, London and the rest of the UK are no way near that level. In Brazil they kill tourists and by standers because it is fun, the UK even with it's social multicultural tensions are no where near the same depravity. I can walk in London without feeling I am going to be robbed, well it is better than my local pub any way. There are some parts I would avoid of course.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Sorry, are you saying that football hooligans are a threat to the 2012 olympics?

And if so, are you serious?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
In Brazil they kill tourists and by standers because it is fun

"They" we are meant to infer as Brazilians I take it?..

Interesting that Brazil has a healthy tourist industry, studying abroad program, and many expats working there, despite the fact that Brazilians seek to destroy them on sight.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

That was pretty funny what you said there.... i was in Rio a few years back and didn't see or have any trouble... i even went to what you might say was a dodgy area but i didn't feel scared.... i met a few people out there and had a great time!!!

I may have seen a few homeless young boys (which was pretty sad) but i gave them some food.... it was good to see them smile....

I will go back one day....

You know what?

There will always be drugs & guns and when you have drugs & guns you get violence & murders..... someone is always going to want what the next guy has and if that means killing that guy to get it then they probably will do so.... most of those guys had no education or parents around so that's where they end up.....

P.S If you go out there and see young boys or girls on the street help them out if ya can by giving them some food especially if they come round your table at the outdoor restaurant!

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think the western media was waiting for this one.

The one big criminal story that will allow them to start the next ongoing saga: Rio Crimewatch.

They had a good run with China. All of the big networks had reporters following China's Olympic lead-up: crackdowns, forced evictions, human rights abuses... and everyone seemed so disappointed when they pulled the Olympics off.

Here's the next story. And Hoooly Crap it's a big one. You will now be treated to coverage of every crime in Brazil, every scandal, every shooting, every heavy handed police action, every car crash, every police chase. It's almost made for Fox TV. World's Most Dangerous Olympics.

And they've got YEARS to follow this one. Undercover reports, Taking You Behind The Scenes. Meet the [fill in the blank] responsible for [verbing] the notorious [noun].

Hear that sound?

It's every news editor, print and TV. Every producer, every handler, and every up and coming reporter. They're all saying the same thing:

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the new rating$ boo$ter.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

Not a threat like terrorists or machine gun wielding kidnappers, but definitely a potential menace.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

As i said before, this kind of violence happens almost everyday here in Brazil. If internacional news channels starts to show all the kinds of violent acts that happens here it will show nothing but the truth.

There's no way to compare Rio with London, for example. It's almost funny to see that. The state of Rio de Janeiro has 16.010.429 inhabitants, 6,093,472 of these living in the capital. From January to July of 2009, 3.595 were killed in that state, most of them on the city of Rio. I made a little research and i don't know if i am right, but London has 7,556,900 inhabitants, and in 2008, 160 people were killed there.

And i'm sure you all know that not all brazilians are drug dealers or bad persons. There's a lot of good people around here. These people don't steal from tourists or shoot down helicopters.

[edit on 19/10/09 by Canslli]

[edit on 19/10/09 by Canslli]

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12

Athens wasn't going to be ready. Stadiums were going to be unfinished and construction sites still come the start of the games(nobody in Athens was actually worried mind you...., all the hysteria was in Anglo media).

The main stadium for London 2012 had construction work cease for months, but no hysteria.

South Africa for next years world cup. Same sort of hysteria. Because only in South Africa is there a violent gang problem. It doesn't exist in London.
It didn't exist in Atlanta in 1996.

Brazil for 2014 world cup and 2016 Olympics. Same sort of hysteria starting up.

I hate the decline in British civilisation since the 1960s, but have a word, South Africa is at a slightly different level to anything occurring in Britain

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I don't think you understand quite what football hooliganism is, but there is absolutely no possiblity of threat or menace towards any set of fans or participants coming to London for the olympics from football hooligans. Nil.

The various assorted muggers, aggressive drunks, pickpockets and gang members, yes, but no "firm" is going to attack anyone for any reason whatsover.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Indeed it is at a different level, and the problems/issues are of a different nature.
But I know people who have left both the UK and South Africa because they have had enough(Australia being their choice in destination).

The point was, the media is bias.
Sure they are covering it in the UK in regards to the 2012 games.
But when it was Athens, Beijing, and now that it's South Africa next year and Rio a few years later, this is what we will begin to hear about.
There will be no mass coverage of how Londons problems outside of the UK.
We heard a little bit about the main stadium being behind schedule with work stopped, but that was only because the construction firm involved was Australian.

And in regards to the other guy who said terrorism isn't really a threat for London.
Perhaps it's not, but then again the London tube systems was bombed by terrorists.

Why isn't there hysteria in Anglo media over this?

In Greece, there is some local elements mostly radical leftists who target banks, police stations, and multi-national corporations. Their attacks occur at night when nobody is around, thus the public isn't in any real danger.

Media was fixated with security not being enough, so Greece spent a record of over 1 billion on security for the Olympics. Athens games officials even brought in some of the top people from the US and Israel, that's how potentially damaging the nonsense in the media was.

On the other hand you now have London, the United Kingdom, which actually IS a target of Islamic fundamentalist terrorists.
Greece never has been a target for islamic terrorists.(because it doesn't go around meddling in the Arab worlds affairs and bombing them, so they have no bone to pick with Greece)

There's never been an attack by islamic terrorists in Greece. There's been one in London, there's also been several plots and many people arrested.
Part of the plot for the 2005(?) attacks was to kill the English and Australian cricket teams during the Ashes series which was being held at the same time.

Another recent plot was to hijack airlines and blow them up.

So we have a precedent set for targeting sporting events, and a precedent set for targeting foreigners in the UK.

So why aren't the same Anglo media outlets raving about the threat to London 2012?

Quite simple because they are bias.

If the Athens subway was bombed, never mind all the other plots in the UK, prior to the Athens 2004 games, the hysteria in the media would have broken world records that would have stood for another 500 years at least.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
And they were worried about security in Chicago????

This could be setting the stage for serious terrorism durning the olympics.

They not only don't fear the police, they shot em down.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join