It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating Optical Black Holes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

October 16, 2009
Creating Optical Black Holes to Produce Super Solar Cells
Chinese scientists have built an optical black hole, but don't worry, this isn't the plot to the next Dan Brown novel - like most terrestrial uses of the phrase "black hole" it's an analogy rather than an accurate description. You can tell by the way we're still here (We're just having some fun with the image!).

The fact it isn't really an all-encompassing singularity of infinitely-compressing reality destruction doesn't make it any less cool. The idea is actually even more awesome, if that comparative were in any way applicable to black holes: scientists have built an analogous event horizon by translating the idea from a cosmological construction of spacetime into an effective electromagnetic application. (We dare you to put more syllables in a sentence.) Spinning black holes twist spacetime itself, so that even things trying to travel in a straight line spiral in to irrevocable absorption. The new ultimate absorber (which sounds like something Reed Richards would build) does the same thing to light.
Source

[mod edit: added Required EX tags]
Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page): MEMBERS: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

[edit on 17-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
This got no attention I see. The Chinese are accomplishing some pretty cool stuff these days.

The scientists measured microwaves going into the device, and found none coming out. The microwaves entering the shell are trapped and guided towards the core, where they are absorbed in all directions equally because of the circular symmetry. The energy absorbed is emitted as heat.

The current device works only with microwaves, but they are aiming to develop a black hole for visible light next.

PhysOrg

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The scientists should be careful as some of the World's greatest catastrophes were those that started off as the most minuscule of occurrences or the resultant happenstance of an over anxious researcher.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by just an allusion

The scientists should be careful as some of the World's greatest catastrophes were those that started off as the most minuscule of occurrences or the resultant happenstance of an over anxious researcher.

I think people should also read carefully what they're commenting on...

It's simply an optical analogy like acoustic analogy of black holes... It doesn't bend light by gravity but simply using refraction... Thus, it's no different than your tiny and humble eyeglasses or contact lens. We all don't think that an eyeglasses could eat all the world up.. I hope we all agree on that

If developed further, I could see that it can be used as yet another way of converting solar energy into usable forms of energy... Hopefully, more efficient than photovoltaic cells.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
So they can refract the photons inward, ther for creating no reflection, well i mean they are almost there, which is in essence the idea behind optical invisibility, if the light gets absorbed and you can limit the refleting of photons you can make something appear invisible.... interesting. I hope it works, then the americann government can make new cameras in everynes houses to watch them and they wont even see them.... greeeeeeeeeeat.. or invisible government agents.. even better...

Dag those chinee
bad stuff see I.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yeah, this isn't harmless in and of itself. You could have one of those optical black holes right beside you and be perfectly safe, or even put your hand through it without fear.

It might lead to some rather Orwellian technology, like KingAtlas mentions, but the technology itself won't destroy the world or anything like that. The 'black hole' in optical black hole is just a physics analogy.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
So they can refract the photons inward, ther for creating no reflection, well i mean they are almost there, which is in essence the idea behind optical invisibility, if the light gets absorbed and you can limit the refleting of photons you can make something appear invisible.... interesting. I hope it works, then the americann government can make new cameras in everynes houses to watch them and they wont even see them.... greeeeeeeeeeat.. or invisible government agents.. even better...

Dag those chinee
bad stuff see I.

The concept of invisibility is to allow light behind an object to go around or through the object and continue upon leaving the object in the same direction undistorted and barely absorbed...

If light was absorbed/totally absorbed and photons prevented from leaving, the object will appear black - like soot.... Soot isn't invisible.

However... Since the current technology can absorb microwaves and possibly radar waves, it can be used to evade radar detection
Stealth aircraft, etc comes to mind....

[edit on 20-10-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Originally posted by just an allusion

I think people should also read carefully what they're commenting on...

It's simply an optical analogy like acoustic analogy of black holes... It doesn't bend light by gravity but simply using refraction... Thus, it's no different than your tiny and humble eyeglasses or contact lens. We all don't think that an eyeglasses could eat all the world up.. I hope we all agree on that

If developed further, I could see that it can be used as yet another way of converting solar energy into usable forms of energy... Hopefully, more efficient than photovoltaic cells.

Oh, I read it, I just projected ahead to applications of the technology and saw alot of people running around ensconced in invisibility cloaks up to no good, e.g, secretly snooping on others, engaged in acts of corporate espionage, infiltrating secret bases &/or facilities and the like, etc., etc.

top topics

join