It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seems fewer stars/flags being given these days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm not complaining personally...I've got plenty myself: something I certainly do appreciate.

But...it seems to me that looking over the board in general, there are fewer people taking the time to give stars and flags, even compared to one or two years ago. Is it just me, or do others notice this too? Or is it just my subjective impression?

I'm not necessarily critical of this...but curious as to why this may be (if indeed it is the case). Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I've been giving out very few now that you mention it.

The fact that most new threads are very short on substance and long on sensationalism has a lot to do with it. Too many people working on that blue participation bar and trying to elicit emotional responses.

The fact that I've stopped giving out stars or flags to rude and childish people accounts for the rest.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
well I don't know. The post I made two days ago was easily one of the most successful ones I ever made. I have received 34 flags so far, and 30 to 40 stars I think. It just goes to show that you can neveer really be sure what will work out for you. I have other thread that I thought would have done much better than my last one but they didn't.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Well there are plenty...

They just seem to be on the worst threads. I dont measure a thread or member on flags anymore...juts applauses

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I havent been giving alot of flags(not sure why), but I do overdue it with the stars

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
other than Breaking alternative news and space exploration, I find most threads to be sensationalist and/or redundant. I never thought I'd say it, but I wouldn't mind another good, old-fashioned bigfoot hoax right about now

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I star and flag everything that even moderately interests me.
I even star people that have insulted me in the past..... Stars and flags.....they don't cost anything and they might bring some joy and feelings of accomplishment to someone. Whats wrong with that?

It's not like they are some precious commodity that is in short supply.

I flagged this thread. Big deal.....

[edit on 15-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Well there are plenty...

They just seem to be on the worst threads. I dont measure a thread or member on flags anymore...juts applauses

Question, I am confused about the applause, how do you give applause to someone? Know about the stars and flags.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Lowly members aren't allowed to bestow applause; that's A privilege reserved for MOd's

Sometime I applaud members by telling them in a u2u how I feel. Not an official applause just a private

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks whaaa, now I shall return to my lowly corner.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Aqua...

Also I sometimes like to leave a little note in the profile box, located at the bottom of the persons post.

I see that you haven't activated your "comment" section.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I know, will do that soon....thanks.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks whaaa, now I shall return to my lowly corner.

Forum Subject Matter Experts can also applause in the forum that they are experts in. For instance I can applause people in the fragil earth forum and jkrog can applause people in the UFO and Aliens forum....There quite a few FSME's, you can tell by the label in the avatar

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
yeah, most threads are:

"here's a news article! Discuss!"

just do a little research, I got 90 flags on my first thread. And recently the topics are mostly political: corruption, crazy laws etc., nothing we don't already know

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Alright activated my comments area.....be nice.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by afterschoolfun

Have a little present for you........bought Rubik's cube's for my two Grandchildren last year, they are six and eight and they of course solved it in no time, took me months years ago.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Well any lack of stars and flags (which I have not seen personality) is likely due to a lack of worthy posts or threads. Members appear to be leaning towards not giving out the stars and flags so easily as of late (which is a good thing), unless it really deserves it. Either way, flags are meant to be given to important threads, and stars given to well laid out posts or posts that are agreed upon by members. There have been many threads recently that have gotten quite a few S/F's...

Really, it all depends on your content within your post or thread, trust me, if it is worthy it will receive them, so if not as much are being flagged or starred apparently then either there haven't been any "worthy" of that or one has not looked around enough. It is also likely that the "flag contribution level" has influenced member flagging. All in all though, it doesn't matter because most of the time important topics always get the recognition that is deserved. Also, as OzWeatherman said, FSME's (Forum Subject Matter Experts) can give out applause's )in their respective forum)as well as mods, but members who have not been titled FSME's or mods can not.

[edit on 10/16/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I star and flag everything that even moderately interests me. I even star people that have insulted me in the past..... Stars and flags.....they don't cost anything and they might bring some joy and feelings of accomplishment to someone. Whats wrong with that?

I totally agree. I flag everything that time was put into and everything I find interesting. If the thread gives me reason to comment then I star it even if I don't agree with the Op.

When people are greedy with free things that are never ending it's pathetic IMO.

Flag for the Op

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Exactly....

I wish they would bring stars back to BTS. Some post are so clever, funny and thought provoking that they deserve some type of recognition.

Personally I am spending a lot more time in BTS as the folks in there seem to have a sense of humor and not so wrapped up in ego building and the manipulation of others ideology, and view of the world/cosmos.

The creative writing forums have really blossomed and are showing people with solid talent and ability in both prose and poetry. What ever happened to jensouth?
I loved her stuff.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I consider myself a hit and run flagger. If I see a thread languishing on the recent posts board with no replies, well I just can't help myself. That poor thread all alone in the sea of useless idiotic threads with not so much as a single reply makes me feel sorry for the poster and I flag it for no other reason than to uplift the member who started it. After all, if it has any merit whatsoever, it deserves at least a lookie. The totally dumb, lame ones I leave alone.

I give stars to thoughtful replies. They are free and I am generous.
Besides I don't remember seeing any criteria outlined for the giving of free accolades.

Edited to tell you I flagged your thread.

[edit on 16-10-2009 by Hazelnut]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join