It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannot get ATS ip address to resolve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I am compiling a list of my favorite websites and their IP addresses so when TPTB shut down the internet DNS servers I will still be able to access my sites.

Problem.

75.126.76.151 will not resolve to www.abovetopsecret.com

here's the "official" info

whois.domaintools.com...

Just to prove it should work, here is yahoo's 209.131.36.158

Any help appreciated.

My firewall or router shouldn't be an issue.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Something at ATS changed. A few weeks ago you could get to ATS by going to [IP Address]/forum/. I remember doing it.

Here is a thread that confirms it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See post about halfway down by Iamonlyhuman.

[edit on 15-10-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
It looks like it's because it's the ip address of the datacenter hosting the websites Abovepolitics.com, Abovetopsecret.com & Belowtopsecret.com.

So the IP address 75.126.76.151 is the IP which reverse resolves to the company hosting ATS - 75.126.76.151-static.reverse.softlayer.com.
You should be safe enough using that IP unless ATS decide to move hosting companies.

The company that hosts this are softlayer.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4
It looks like it's because it's the ip address of the datacenter hosting the websites Abovepolitics.com, Abovetopsecret.com & Belowtopsecret.com.

So the IP address 75.126.76.151 is the IP which reverse resolves to the company hosting ATS - 75.126.76.151-static.reverse.softlayer.com.
You should be safe enough using that IP unless ATS decide to move hosting companies.

The company that hosts this are softlayer.com...

Nope

That doesn't work either.

Maybe one of the principals could weigh in on this?

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Never count on using the IP address to get to a web site. A website could be hosted on a dedicated server today, and thus all traffic defaults to a single dedicated web server site, but today servers hosts dozens of sites, all on a single IP address. Thus, the only way to get to a particular site on a server that is hosting dozens of web sites IS to use the domain name, otherwise how will the server know which site among the dozens it hosts you meant to access?

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by venividivici

You might be able to get away with putting the domain and ip in your hosts file.

Windows 95/98/Me: c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows later or Mac: Unsure (Google it)
Linux: /etc/hosts

I'm not sure how to test whether or not it works though. You'd have to somehow make sure normal DNS wasn't resolving.

Even still, I'm not sure in the event of a global DNS outage ATS would be of any help if people can't get here by IP address. Few people surf by ip and even fewer know how to use their hosts files.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici

Problem.

75.126.76.151 will not resolve to www.abovetopsecret.com

I just tried it and it resolved to ATS for me. Maybe it was a temporary issue? Try it again.

new topics

top topics

join