It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Spies Energetic Galaxy Merger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
13 October 09
In a new Hubble Space Telescope image, what appears to be one galaxy is actually the product of a collision between two Milky Way-like spiral galaxies.

The result is a galactic merger called NGC 2623, or Arp 243, and it is about 250 million light-years away in the constellation of Cancer (the Crab).

Studies have revealed that as galaxies approach one another, massive amounts of gas are pulled from each galaxy towards the center of the other, until ultimately the two merge into one massive galaxy.

Link

Amazing photos by Hubble at the link.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
How is this possible you may ask?

Being that all the physicists believe that "All galaxies are moving away" how could they possibly collide you may wonder??

These events lead me to believe the red shift theory is bunk.

Galaxies move in all sorts of directions, apparently.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

Studies have revealed that as galaxies approach one another,

How is this possible if all galaxies are moving "apart" and "expanding the boundaries of the universe"??

IMO It cannot. Therefore expansion universe theory fails to explain this.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

awesome picture, thanks for posting.

i wonder if there is a larger version floating around the web somewhere.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
How is this possible you may ask?

Being that all the physicists believe that "All galaxies are moving away" how could they possibly collide you may wonder??

These events lead me to believe the red shift theory is bunk.

Galaxies move in all sorts of directions, apparently.

Not if they're in a 'Local Group'

In the future, interaction between the member galaxies and with the cosmic neighborhood will continue to change the Local Group. Some astronomers speculate that the two large spirals, our Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy, may perhaps collide and merge in some distant future, to form a giant elliptical (see a summary of a possible scenario). In addition, there is evidence that our nearest big cluster of galaxies, the Virgo Cluster, will probably stop our cosmological recession away from it, accelerate the Local Group toward itself so that it will finally fall and merge into this huge cluster of galaxies, see our Virgo Cluster & Local Group page.

Some do blue shift
www.physlink.com...

[edit on 10/14/2009 by wookiee]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

There are picitures at this link, double click on the slide show, the picture I posted above was much bigger but it posted smaller for some reason.
www.space.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
thanks for the pics and not your theory.

andromeda is closing in on our galaxy. your theory about the theory is pretty much wrong as far as every other scientist goes

why do you want to think that it is bunk anyways?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Studies have revealed that as galaxies approach one another,

How is this possible if all galaxies are moving "apart" and "expanding the boundaries of the universe"??

IMO It cannot. Therefore expansion universe theory fails to explain this.

because of dark matter and dark energy influence, the galaxies do not expand out in a straight line.

think of it this way...if you had a bomb completely covered with very strong magnets, and it exploded, the magnets would blow outward in all directions, however due to the individual magnetic force of each, some would repel away from one another, others would attract and collide. think of the magnets force as dark energy.

in my opinion, since the speed of the expansion is increasing, i believe that our known universe is being pulled. logic suggests that the speed is increasing due to the 'PULL' becoming stronger as it approaches the source

[edit on 14-10-2009 by jimmyx]

[edit on 14-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

jimmyx do not Galaxies rotate like planets, maybe it's a dumb question, if they collide do they spin into each other?

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

jimmyx do not Galaxies rotate like planets, maybe it's a dumb question, if they collide do they spin into each other?

yes...it can't be a "galaxy" if it does not have rotating mass. if not it is referred to with a host of other names... nebulas, gas clouds, globular clusters, stellar systems, super novas etc.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

it would be something like this

since the stars in a galaxy create their own personal "bubble" the solar systems wouldnt collide together, but rather everything would merge into one. if it happened to us, then we would just see more stars

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

because of dark matter and dark energy influence, the galaxies do not expand out in a straight line.

So basically because of something you know nothing of, nor can prove in any way at all.

This is why I consider modern "physics" as little more than voodoo mumbo jumbo.

Just admit it. We humans have NO idea how the universe works or operates. We cannot even look at it correctly to observe it.

Just admit it. We do not have the mental capacity to fathom the workings of this vast Universe we find ourselves in.

Dark energy. Why not just call it "God's Magic Wand"?

Seriously. Lets be reasonable here. I thought physicists dealt with facts not fantasies or delusions. I guess we do not have very many "real" physicists yet.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Amazing video mahtoosacks, thank you.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Think I figured this out.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ed2595c7008.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So basically because of something you know nothing of, nor can prove in any way at all.

Just admit it. We humans have NO idea how the universe works or operates. We cannot even look at it correctly to observe it.

Just admit it. We do not have the mental capacity to fathom the workings of this vast Universe we find ourselves in.

Seriously. Lets be reasonable here. I thought physicists dealt with facts not fantasies or delusions. I guess we do not have very many "real" physicists yet.

why dont we admit that you dont get it?

some of us can understand a little bit, and if you actually read some papers you might too.

there are plenty of places for beginners to physics as well as (not as an insult) children's videos on subjects such as quantum physics (dr quantum is a good one on youtube).

i have on many occasions while trying to break things into layman's terms for friends explained that science could actually prove the existence of god.

and yes something that isnt directly touchable in the universe is hard to grasp, yet you can SEE dark energy. not directly, yet like looking through a pool of water, you see ripples, and see its effect on the whole. in fact we have a map of it.

mail.lionrampant.co.uk...
i wouldnt say someone just made that up.... can you?

as to your assumptions that it is all just whoo hah and made up, then i really suggest delving in a little deeper rather than casually discrediting everything as nonsense.

we do have a basic idea of how it works. everyday new advances are made.

no longer are the days where people can definitively declare THE EARTH IS FLAT, not because it isn't (which it isn't), but because something new is coming out that challenges all aspects from before it.

do us all a favor, and keep learning, instead of insulting.

on the whole, we do know very little (like what is beyond the universal horizon) but dont discredit everything just because of that

edit: also if you thought physics was all concrete hard facts, then you havent really been watching physics news at all, especially the theoretical physics section. its all whoo hah to those who like concrete facts.

just sayin

[edit on 10/14/2009 by mahtoosacks]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Amazing video mahtoosacks, thank you.

hey no problem. i love the universe. its as wonderfully beautiful as a forest is, except on a macro scale.

everything in nature (universe included) is all the same. its just a matter of scale

check out the videos from space.com (my home on the internet)

www.space.com... just go through the list and you will find very interesting subjects from how stars form, to how they merge, and a whole cosmos of different things out there

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Thanks, I get their email updates and go to space.com all the time, great place to be and explore.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I always find pictures like these so beautiful.

reply to post by muzzleflash

I would like to point out that Physics is in no way "mumbo jombo". Physics is the part of science that can not be debated, it is considered fact or empirical evidence.
As for "theoretical physics, now that's different. It is like saying "possible facts", I don't get it but what ever makes them happy.

Now when it comes to dark energy/matter, expanding space (lookback time) and the big bang... they do not exist, this is nothing more than someones imagination at work. These theories were made up to help support the BBT and all of them, including the big bang, are in direct contradiction to the know laws of physics. I have posted a lot of stuff on what I think about this subject in the thread, "The Big Bang Never Happened". That is a link to the post where I think I started to explain my thoughts for an alternative to the high redshift values found with QSOs

The result is a galactic merger called NGC 2623, or Arp 243...

The classification "Arp 243" is from Dr. Halton C. Arp's atlas of peculiar galaxies. Dr. Arp has a thing or two to say about these high redshift values, read some of his articles from his web site.
Dr. Halton C. Arp.

To be clear I think the big bank theory is a waste of time, I would rather keep the laws of physics and the theory of relativity than the BBT because we cannot have both.
Space is not expanding like cosmologists claim it is and I rather view cosmology as more like a religion than science.

ADD: This is in response to the replies in this thread, not your original post Aquarius1.

[edit on 10/14/2009 by Devino]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

I understand Devino, speaking of theoretical physics, they talk about these theories like they are fact, as much as I love Kaku he is guilty of that. No worries I have a trick skin.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahtoosacks

why dont we admit that you dont get it?

some of us can understand a little bit, and if you actually read some papers you might too.

there are plenty of places for beginners to physics as well as (not as an insult) children's videos on subjects such as quantum physics (dr quantum is a good one on youtube).

i have on many occasions while trying to break things into layman's terms for friends explained that science could actually prove the existence of god.

and yes something that isnt directly touchable in the universe is hard to grasp, yet you can SEE dark energy. not directly, yet like looking through a pool of water, you see ripples, and see its effect on the whole. in fact we have a map of it.

mail.lionrampant.co.uk...
i wouldnt say someone just made that up.... can you?

as to your assumptions that it is all just whoo hah and made up, then i really suggest delving in a little deeper rather than casually discrediting everything as nonsense.

we do have a basic idea of how it works. everyday new advances are made.

no longer are the days where people can definitively declare THE EARTH IS FLAT, not because it isn't (which it isn't), but because something new is coming out that challenges all aspects from before it.

do us all a favor, and keep learning, instead of insulting.

on the whole, we do know very little (like what is beyond the universal horizon) but dont discredit everything just because of that

edit: also if you thought physics was all concrete hard facts, then you havent really been watching physics news at all, especially the theoretical physics section. its all whoo hah to those who like concrete facts.

just sayin

[edit on 10/14/2009 by mahtoosacks]

500 years ago people who said the world was flat were accepted(like today)

and the few who said it wasn't were considered morons and against god....

fact is to claim what we THINK we know as fact today won't change in another hundred years is laughable

to even claim you understand how something works when you only seen 1 billionth of what it is

honestly makes me giggle

keep trying tho.

gdamn fools tryna talk themself into beliefs....

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join