It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safe school czar says killing for calling names in not aberrant behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
And this is just another one of those appointed by the leaders of our nation who say the silliest things.....

To quote Jenkins (the czar):

We need to own up to the fact that our culture teaches boys that being “a man” is the most important thing in life, even if you have to kill someone to prove it. Killing someone who calls you a faggot is not aberrant behavior but merely the most extreme expression of a belief that is beaten (sometimes literally) into boys at an early age in this country: Be a man – don’t be a faggot.

As Suzanne Pharr so eloquently explained in her landmark work Homophobia: A Weapon of Sexism, antigay bigotry is inextricably intertwined with the maintenance of “proper” gender roles by which little girls are supposed to be “sugar and spice and everything nice” and boys are supposed to be, well, quite the opposite. When boys take up guns to kill those who torment them with words like “faggot,” we shouldn’t be surprised. They’re just doing what we have taught them to do.

www.bluegrasspundit.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by willow1d

OMW Oh my word. I guess the next thing we know guns won't be banned from school, they'll be encouraged.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Just who exactly are these czars,and what are they thinking with? Killing for name calling not aberrant behavior? I guess killing in the name of religion would fall under the same qualification wouldn't it?

What is happening to this country? Some one please tell me that this behavior coming out of Washington is a joke. For if it is not a joke,we are in serious serious trouble!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I don't even know how to reply to something like that. Humour is not appropriate here. Insults? I'd say he did a great job of insulting himself and anyone who supports him.

Shock.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by idle_rocker
OMW Oh my word. I guess the next thing we know guns won't be banned from school, they'll be encouraged.

As long as it is set up as duels of honor I'm all for it! The principle can keep a couple of weapons on hand and anyone with a disagreement can use them settle it on the playground.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I just thought 'wow'

But he is right, it is what they kids DONT get taught that is wrong
They havent been taught to respect EVERYONE, and there arent that many that actually respect their parents.

My son had his hip dislocated in a bullying attack. (no reason, he didnt even know the other kid)
So off to hospital to have it put back in.
Having to stand there talking to the surgeon who is telling me that the only places he sees things like this are in car accidents.!

This happened 6 months ago and we are still waiting for a 'Youth Justice conference'

It's only getting worse and worse, when is it going to be safe to send our children to school? The schools have a Duty of Care and none of them seem to be exercising this.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I believe the question needs to be who is vetting the people, how close to the President of the United States are they, and why is there no back ground investigation into their past activities? This is not the first time I have heard about the safe school czar, nor do I think it will be the last, but this guy just does not get it. People do what they learned from their parents and passed that along. I was taught at an early age to respect all people. If I uttered any disrespectful term against any people, you would have thought, based off of the reaction of my parents, I shot someone.
But I digress, and back to the original point, who are these people and why is no one who is suppose to be looking after the President of the United States, why are they not looking into the back grounds of all of these people, and going through their past as if they were applying for a top secret secruity clearance?

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

WOW. I would be surprised, if it were any other administration this happened under. With the current one, this is par for the course.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
Just who exactly are these czars,and what are they thinking with? Killing for name calling not aberrant behavior? I guess killing in the name of religion would fall under the same qualification wouldn't it?

What is happening to this country? Some one please tell me that this behavior coming out of Washington is a joke. For if it is not a joke,we are in serious serious trouble!!!

It's not a joke, except on some of the voters, and yeah, we are in serious trouble.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
When I read the title of the thread, my initial reaction was outrage.

When I read what he actually said, it makes a lot of sense.

Both Kevin Jennings and Suzanne Pharr bring up good points. We do raise our children in a culture of violence. When I was in high school there was at least one fight a week. And I grew up in a nicer area. My little brother's school has fights daily, often more than one.

If we continue to lie to ourselves and say it isn't happening, we're only going to make the situation worse. Kids in America are shooting up schools at unprecedented rates, clearly there is a problem somewhere.

Oh, and when I read this in the article, I couldn't help but laugh:

In a 1998 article(pdf), President Obama's safe school czar Kevin Jennings seems to be condoning murder by students subjected to homophobic harassment.

Yeah, I guess we all can't help but to do a little twisty every now and then.

In all seriousness, he obviously isn't condoning murder. He's pointing out the faults in the way we raise our children to react to adversity. Anyone who thinks he is condoning school shootings needs to seriously re-evaluate their predisposition to bias.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
When I read what he actually said, it makes a lot of sense.

Both Kevin Jennings and Suzanne Pharr bring up good points. We do raise our children in a culture of violence.

So, just cause you called me "bias", allows your murder by me to be the "proper and expected course"?
If that's the case, then I should not be punished for it, because it would then be the norm and accepted since it was expected.

How many parents do you know that teach their children it's okay to kill someone for that reason?

If we continue to lie to ourselves and say it isn't happening, we're only going to make the situation worse. Kids in America are shooting up schools at unprecedented rates, clearly there is a problem somewhere.

Absolutely 100% agreed! What has happened in the recent years that might have caused this? The simplest answer is we've taken away "right AND wrong" and proper punishment for the wrong. And to add another one that I agree with...desensitizing.

Oh, and when I read this in the article, I couldn't help but laugh:

In a 1998 article(pdf), President Obama's safe school czar Kevin Jennings seems to be condoning murder by students subjected to homophobic harassment.

In all seriousness, he obviously isn't condoning murder. He's pointing out the faults in the way we raise our children to react to adversity. Anyone who thinks he is condoning school shootings needs to seriously re-evaluate their predisposition to bias.

Maybe. If he had just used a wrong word, "aberrant" here, I would totally agree with you. However, it doesn't seem to be just this once. He says at the end of that quote, "They're doing what we've taught them to do."

Who? Who has taught them to kill for name calling? Except him, that is. Is this another case of choosing the wrong words in the same article?

And it's an "article", not something off the cuff, something he should have, and you know he most definitely did, go back and make sure his context was clear. He purposedly chose the word "aberrant" for killing someone for name calling. He purposedly chose to say "we've taught them to do [that]". If he didn't know what he was alluding to with his words, then should he really be the one writing rules and regulations for our schools' safety?

I'm thinking he's not necessarily "condoning" murder, as stated in the commentary, thus the reason I didn't include that in the quote. I didn't want to bias anyone by suggestion, therefore I quoted what he said, and only what he said. And you see that everyone, including you, read it as I did.

I can't preclude you because you followed the link. And I'm assuming that since you followed that link, you followed the source link on that site as I did, wanting to make sure that it was his actual quote. Therefore, you initially read it the same way as I and everyone else.

However, you then accepted what the last source said about what they felt was what Jenkins meant as your own interpretation. Which I had tried to do also, but I reread what he said and I just can't see anyway around it.

So, I did the post to see if I was reading it correctly and have summarized from the post.....every one reading Jenkins directly without pre-suggestion, take it to mean that he was indeed saying that murdering for name calling was not out of the accepted norm, was not a deviation from the expected. It just seems to me that he's saying that those who kill because they were called a name should not be held totally responsible for it.

Again, not necessarily condoning murder, but saying to go easy on the perp 'cause they ain't responsible for their own actions.

new topics

top topics

join