It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why does ATS crash my browser so often?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
hi all.

I like ATS, yes, I come here mostly to read; often I have found that one link leads to anther and I have sometimes from two to five ATS forum pages open at once.

I use explorer 7 on my vista machine.

I look at youtube, flickr, other huge sites and ATS seems to be the site that gives to my browser the most trouble! After a number of page views, explorer clogs up, even locks up to where I have "close the program" out.
Today when i shut down the computer, a window comes up to tell me that a pdf program was still "open"! I did not use pdf files today!
[somthing "required" me to use the pdf adobe reader!]

i do not think that this is perhaps an issue with ATS itself, it might be with some of the ads. I think that i have the latest flash and such Players.

?????

what can i do to "optimize" my browser for ATS?! it is getting to where I have a
slight fear of malware in the ads.
would explorer 8 be better for ATS?
or firefox?

thanks...freestone

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

Well IE 8 was built specifically for Vista and Windows 7 machines, so if you are behind I would consider getting it upgraded.

However, when it comes to browsers IE8 has nothing on Firefox or Opera, these browsers along with the latest flash addons, should optimize your experience.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freestonew

There are many problems with Internet Explorer, thats why I jumped ship. Try using Firefox, Opera 10 or Safari. They seem to work wonders for me

~ The Doo ~

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I use IE 8 and find it good but you must block all pop-ups and when links won't open because they are considered pop-ups, just right click and open the link "in a new tab".

You mention .pdf's being opened when you didn't do it. Think malware. You might google the problem and take the appropriate action. This .pdf issue has come up before in other people's posts.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

yes, I might well use firefox. but when I am in explorer, i note this small problem. maybe switching browser would be best. thanks...freestone

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Could be a problem with registry and temp files to,

Also as said IE is a dog, get on Firefox or safari

Even if you do or dont, I would say that the following is definately worth a look, cetainly has helped me and friends and only need the free version...

Though I am not advertising it, reccomending it etc just it worked for similair issues with me and others, even with firefox on general browsing.

IoBit Advanced System Care

Speeds up your connection or rather optimises your browser to.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by freestonew

i do not think that this is perhaps an issue with ATS itself, it might be with some of the ads.

Try Google Chrome. It can successfully block the intentional malware-style popups. It will most likely be very hard for the script kiddies to penetrate.....

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by praxis
Try Google Chrome. It can successfully block the intentional malware-style popups. It will most likely be very hard for the script kiddies to penetrate.....

Lol but however every single website, search and almost thing as well typed into any online place, will be recorded, saved and NEVER deleted against your profile and IP address, to include every single email sent and recieved, all online content and activity in fact against your Number ISP address which against your ISP produces name and address etc.

Google Chrome the king of unknown spying.
If using firefox many might find this interesting as an add on:
Anomynous Google

What it means

Elf

[edit on 12-10-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Vista Royal Business w/ Google Chrome and Never an issue, care or concern.

AVG being the only additional "protection" installed.

... near constant tests/refreshes, using both IE and FF, with nary a non Browser-related "issue" since.

months, even. (!?)

no alerts. no "infections". nothing.

[edit: to add]

with regards google being the kin of unknown spying...

where'd you buy your gas or groceries today? dinner out? ... atm?

'tis All the same.

[edit on 12-10-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Well your the computer expert so cant argue against that,

However are you not even slightly concerned about the data retention and logging of google?

Anyhow as you show your set up as shown obviously leads to stable browsing and free of infections etc... so the OP has good advice there on what to use and which way to go, again though if he is happy about the google concerns many have.

Elf

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

Originally posted by praxis

Lol but however every single website, search and almost thing as well typed into any online place, will be recorded, saved and NEVER deleted against your profile and IP address, to include every single email sent and recieved, all online content and activity in fact against your Number ISP address which against your ISP produces name and address etc.

The Linux version of Google Chrome will be out soon. Open source. And the Linux crown does not have a lot of tolerance for low-class spammers or script kiddies.

Firefox is a major disappointment in Linux. It does not render a lot of websites correctly. Opera is much better.....

new topics

top topics

join