It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EDL & UAF clash in Manchester

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
48 arrests in Manchester today after clashes between English Defence League and United Against Fascism. I was hoping all this was going to die down, but it seems to be increasing.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Half my mates got stuck in this today i was smart enough to avoid it >_<
Im just hopping theres nothing on tomorrow cause im pretty much in the center from 7am onwards. and i dont wanna get killed by the strom troopers

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The only clash's i see in that video is people against police. Looks kinda stressy though.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Before Phoenix chimes in and starts to defend the UAF no matter what, it's worth pointing out that the EDL were not the ones attacking the police. The UAF were the ones attempting to break the Police lines so they could attack the EDL, who were there legitimately protesting. It's ironic the Anti-Fascists of the UAF adopt fascists tactics against those they disagree with.

Mat Trewern, from BBC Radio Manchester, said the atmosphere had turned "quite nasty" as the day progressed.

He said: "There had been some ugly scenes as protesters clashed with police, but it has started to calm down and the crowds are dispersing.

"At one point, earlier on, when it became extremely tense, members of the UAF tried to break the police line between the two groups, which in turn angered the EDL members.

"Trouble had started when 100 members of the EDL arrived at Piccadilly Gardens and they were immediately met with shouts of 'racists' and 'off our streets' by members of the UAF, who had already congregated at Piccadilly.

BBC

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
lol . They sure love a good punch up in Manchester.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I see two packs of idiots baying for each others blood with the Police in the middle.

Sad.

Really, really sad.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm presuming that both groups were there in a legitimate protest since both groups were there.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Way to go EDF... Moral Support coming to you from your American Cousins, I am proud you are standing up for your nation unlike some of the limely bastards here in the States.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

That's exactly what both groups are - extremists under the guise of anti-fascism, and thugs pretending to be patriotic. Both are really stupid!

[edit on 10-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

The UAF only turn out when they notice that the EDL has advised the authorities of their planned demo. The UAF ones are rarely, if ever, sanctioned protests.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The bit I get consistently bothered by in all this is the way the UAF either react violently to seeing a union flag or they end up burning them..

The sight of a Union flag inflamed supporters of the UAF, causing large numbers of protesters to go in search of the culprit.

Source

It seems just the sight of a Union Flag/Cross of St George is enough to send some members of the UAF into a frenzy.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
I see two packs of idiots baying for each others blood with the Police in the middle.

Sad.

Really, really sad.

Bingo. but, will this get worse in your opinion? I know more demo's are planned?

I think the police did a pretty good job on this one as much as I dislike the old bill.

At the end of the day it's the dog's I feel sorry for, they have no choice in the situation.

[edit on 11-10-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Sadly, I think that there is only going to be one way that this will come to a head, and it will more than likely be a fully fledged riot, akin to the one staged by idiots from both sides in Bradford a few years back.

And someone will get killed. Of that I have no doubt.

This kind of abject and moronic thuggery feeds off itself. Neither side there seems to be interested in talking, discussing and resolving differences. They just set up shop, spout their rhetoric and instantly appear to want to kick the crap out of anyone who doesn't see it their way.

In the middle of it are the Police, who will no doubt be called "Nazi bastards" when they try and actually impose the law of the land with regard to peaceful nonviolent assembly, and innocent bystanders and businesses who will have to pick up insurance costs when - invariably cars, houses and shops get ransacked and set on fire. Communities will splinter and take years and years to heal themselves again afterwards.

In the meantime the politicos will cry out that more laws and regulations are needed to control public order, and the rest of the country will find itself much worse off in the long term.

Neither side in this "battle" represents anything but crassly moronic posturing - its like no one has learned from Brixton, Toxteth, and the troubles in Northern Ireland.

I don't want to see sections of this country turned into the Shankhill Road. Apparently these fools do, and they're doing their very best to try and achieve it.

top topics

join