It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Clockwork orange discussion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ok, so i just got off my dinosaur and watched the film. Talk about furburgers, lol.
I love when hes being spoon fed and he makes them funny open mouth faces, lmao.

At the end of the movie, i came to the conclusion that the doctors flipped the script and started playing #9 while people were taking pictures of him, making him feel good and i guess that triggered the hit. or he was suffering from amnesia from the suicide attempt or maybe him being spoon fed led him to have a flash back of the women feedin him grapes and that put him in a trance. it was a funny, dark, phucked up movie, lol

Could we possibly go into depth and say the main character was already A.C.O before he got locked up? And who the hell was the new roomate that took over his bed? (undercover?) It just seemed like it was part of the treatment.

Feel free to share some vital points that usually get overstepped watchin it the first time.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
In the book, Alex doesn't go back to his old self. He decides to grow up and knock off all the Ultra-voilence and Miloko Plus abuse. Kubrick decided to change the ending for the movie because he felt that the audience for a movie like that would like the new ending better than the original.

As for the mechanics of his reversion to his old self in the movie, I always just assumed that the "Ludovico technique" didn't work quite as well as they had hoped. A straight answer is never really given, though.

Cool thread, flagged.

TA

[edit on 10-10-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
'Allo droogies!

Love A Clokwork Orange, one of the books and films that I'll go back to again and again.

It's the bit where George and Dim have become policemen and beat the hell out of Alex that gets me everytime... Very strange twist of fate.

That, and the bit where Alex and the droogs are walking by the canal after the dissent, and Alex tolchocks George in the yarbles

Real horrorshow.

F-L-A-G!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneWolf83

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. I do remember the rather violent version of "Singin' in the Rain".

This movie is one of Kubrick's best, and should be watched with "Full Metal Jacket".

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Kubrick did have a thing for changing the ending of classic books.

ACO was an incredible movie but the book was far better. The only real issue is the need for a dictionary so you can understand nadsat.

soomka.com...

maybe I'll peet a chasha of velocet moloko and watch some of the ultraviolence.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Love Clockwork Orange,I catch something new every time I watch it again.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh wow. I watched a little more than half of the movie last night, before I fell asleep, from being over tired not because the movie was boring. I have so many questions!!

What in the heck were the 4 guys wearing, and why?
What's with them wearing the make up?
What's up with all of the sex art?
What's was up with that bar place they went to, with the statues spilling milk from the breast?
The decore of the homes and the style of dress, is that how it really was, or was that just the creator being creative?
Was the main character supose to be a high school kid? His Mum was complaining about him missing school, was it college?
Who is that guy that comes to the house and grabs his balls, and also goes to see him in the interigation room?

Ok I'm having a lazy day, gonna go watch the rest of this confusing movie...It kind of remind me of a whacked out Tim Burton film, just not a cartoon.... This thread is really old, wonder if any of you still post??

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
What's was up with that bar place they went to, with the statues spilling milk from the breast?
The decore of the homes and the style of dress, is that how it really was, or was that just the creator being creative?
Was the main character supose to be a high school kid? His Mum was complaining about him missing school, was it college?
Who is that guy that comes to the house and grabs his balls, and also goes to see him in the interigation room?

Re-watch the film, more than once, and you should figure most of it out.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Kinda sounds like the movie flew right over your head. All I can say is don't ever watch a Jordowsky film or your brain will explode.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec
Kinda sounds like the movie flew right over your head. All I can say is don't ever watch a Jordowsky film or your brain will explode.

This guy definitely needs to watch some Jodorowsky. Everyone's brain could use some exploding and it might help them not get so hung up on things like why people are wearing the clothes they do. And they should definitely watch it if they're comparing A Clockwork Orange to Tim Burton.

Midnight Sunshine, I think you should just watch the movie over again from the start when you're not tired. Most of the answers you're looking for aren't necessary to appreciate the movie, but I will tell you a few things:

Who is that guy that comes to the house and grabs his balls

The bar was a Moloko Plus bar. It serves milk laced with drugs.
There is no "really was" with this movie. The story is set in the future and is in fact not based on real events (well, the wife of the author of the book A Clockwork Orange was beaten and raped which was the inspiration for the novel, but...). All the aesthetics are just an imagining of what things might look like in this future. The fashion is the least important part of this movie.
That guy is, I think, Alex's parole officer. it's been awhile.

edit on 9/4/2011 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I thought the way they dressed in the movie was because that was the fashion of the day and so it was easy to find many of the costumes and clothing.

Still a very good movie though, haven't read the book but it's still easy to follow and understand after a few viewings when you notice stuff you missed the first time round.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
I thought the way they dressed in the movie was because that was the fashion of the day and so it was easy to find many of the costumes and clothing.

It's not quite as simple as that but I guess that sorta could be true. The docs and braces would be from the newly emerged skinhead culture. But I don't think wearing all white, a codpiece and a bowler was fashionable at any time during the 70's. Though I wasn't born at the time so I could be wrong. I think it is more likely that Kubrick or whoever got a say in wardrobe wanted to make them somewhat familiar. Basically they took elements from subcultures that the public at large saw as social outcasts and put them to use. Which I suppose could be a comment on how society fears youth or something if you really wanted to stretch it. Kinda like how even though the warriors takes place in the future everyone looks like they are in Afrika Bambaataa.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I thought the movie (and book) was set in an alternative future, hence the weird slang and dress. In the book Alex says he dresses in the height of fashion... but this might be his glorified ego talking.
The milk bar is a drug den, the milk is laced with make believe drugs.

Fun film, I like Anthony Burgess, look him up on Youtube for laughs and insight.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gargarean
I thought the movie (and book) was set in an alternative future, hence the weird slang and dress.

Well The outfits they wear wouldn't have been AS weird in an early 70's England. Or at least they would have had context. They are a bit of a cross between the working class ruggedness of the skinhead (suspenders and doc martens) and the suave style of the mod (mascara, drugs and monochromatic palette). I'm sure there are other influences in there as well I just don't recognize them. Of course there is nothing more iconically English than the bowler hat.

Just some examples of what I am talking about. It is not hard to see where the inspiration came from.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
SPOILER ALERT!

ok, this is my explanation of the movie, as it has been much longer since i read the book.

basically, we have alex, who along with his friends (drooges), go around, commiting terrible acts of violence on innocent people and taking what they want. Alex is a product of his environment basically, the world has degraded, and everything is in a state of filth and disrepair. Alex is also a great fan of Ludwig Von Beethoven, which is shown in one seen where he listens to the 9th i believe, and visualizes various violent scenes, one which is a woman in a wedding dress being hanged. We find through all of this that he is very disturbed mentally. Anyway, it's business as usual untill his friends and him go to a woman's house and murder her, as they leave his friends have had enough of him and smash a milk bottle on his face, leaving him for the police.

He is sent to prison (even though in the book i remember him being only 14) where he finds out about a program where a criminal undergoes treatment to "cure" his behavior. He volunteers for this treatment, which basically consists of pinning his eyes open and making him watch terribly violent videos while they play Beethoven. This causes him to get sick every time he tries to be violent, have sex, or listen to his favourite music (Beethoven). His parents have rented his room out, and his friends are now policemen and beat him pretty badly at one point, also he is beaten by a bunch of elderly bums, one of which was beaten by him and his "droogs" earlier in the film. He eventually stumbles to a house and is taken in by the owner (a political writer) and his bodyguard.

Alex recognizes the owner, who is in a wheelchair due to injuries sustained at the hands of Alex and his friends, and who's wife was raped and murdered in front of him by them. The writer also recognizes him, but when he finds out what's happened to him, he locks him in a room and blasts out Beethoven to "cure" him (i believe he does this because he hates what the government has become).

Finally Alex has had enough of the sick feeling caused by the music because of his "treatment" and dives out the window, to the street, causing himself to be put in a body cast. A government official comes and officially apologizes to Alex for his predicament, and in the last scene Alex is taking part in a bit of the old "in out" with a woman in front of several tv and newspaper reporters while Beethoven is being played.

This is a great movie, also you should check out Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Yeah that's what I meant, every character apart from those in Alex's gang wore what British people in the 1960s did (not just the Docs or the other aspects of skinhead/rock culture but the doctors, Alex's family, strangers in the street, Dave Prowse etc)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I always figured that the ending meant that the Main Character's programming had been broken, leaving him free to do whatever he wants. It left the ending open. Does he go back to the man he was or stay the man he became? Or does he become a hybrid of the two?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Definitely one of the strangest movies you will ever see.....

It's been so long, I'll have to see this again before really commenting much on it. Disturbing film...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
All you need to do to understand any Kubrick film is learn about Aleister Crowley and his Thelema Book of the Law.

Oh and I wonder why the cover of this film was a pyramid? LoL actually I don't wonder.

Colockwork Orange is a Luciferian P.O.S. nothing but hyper violence and snuff.

It really offered absolutely nothing to humanity other than yet another crappy film to waste your time with,
edit on 3-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

top topics

join