It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans with no emotions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Is having emotions a good thing or a bad thing. When we get angry, sometimes too angry, then later we regret the actions we take part in.

But then again we have love, where we would sacrifice ourselves for another human soul.

Emotions, they have positive and negative affects on humans...

Here is the interesting part: How would we perceive the world without emotions.

Now ponder with me, if there was no hate, how would we know love? If there was no sadness, how would we know happiness? It would all be the same for us..

So are humans merely robots without emotions?

oozy

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Without emotions, we'd be extinct in roughly i'd say one or two generations.

Panic attacks, are a symptom of evolved emotions.

You hear a loud bang...

What happens... You jump MF!

Of course, we all do.
Why

Because our instincts tell us "Danger"

Then we proceed to analyze later after the noise, and decided whether we should run or not.

Watch this series.

All of it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
zen is about controling and subduing emotions.

i have lived years without upsand downs, ironically i refer to it as happiness... lol

its only a recent foray into exploring my long supressed emotions that have created issues in my persona i dont like.

now im relearningto overcome myself again.

hope my insight helps you decide your own answer...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
In addition to the above from Republican there are some conditions* whereby the sufferer cannot feel certain emotions; these people often have difficulty in unusual areas such as choosing between cereals in a supermarket. Along with the more obvious problems that would occur from the lack of emotions there are many things that we would find very difficult.

*IIRC these are most often associated with damage to the prefrontal cortex.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
In addition to the above from Republican there are some conditions* whereby the sufferer cannot feel certain emotions; these people often have difficulty in unusual areas such as choosing between cereals in a supermarket. Along with the more obvious problems that would occur from the lack of emotions there are many things that we would find very difficult.

*IIRC these are most often associated with damage to the prefrontal cortex.

Wouldn't it become easier due to us following our instincts instead of fighting it through emotions? Or am I in a complete different boat here.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
98% of people just have total apathy, so i doubt anyone can say they feel.

Love is aload of bull too, when you think what you people do for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
98% of people just have total apathy, so i doubt anyone can say they feel.

Love is aload of bull too, when you think what you people do for it.

We can observe the effects of love in someone, can't we? Or do you believe people believe they are in love? That it is not real, that it is the segment of our imagination?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
two examples of persons without emotional drives are among us now,

those who have had a Lobotomy
and the not too rare Sociopath

so, in either of these two prototype examples...just where are the benefits to the larger society ?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
two examples of persons without emotional drives are among us now,

those who have had a Lobotomy
and the not too rare Sociopath

so, in either of these two prototype examples...just where are the benefits to the larger society ?

Don't hesitate to explain two examples of person with emotional drives, just to be fair...

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
With a lot of practice it is possible for a human to shut off his emotions.
Someone who does that still has preferences towards things he likes or are good for him and still knows what he doesn't like and what is bad for him. This person will act upon that instead of blurring his vision with emotions. Although to the ouside world this person may appear 'cold' because he doesn't have those spontanious (over)reactions.
It won't turn him into a robot.

Just try to be an 'observer' to yourself and to the world for a change, take your distance and just observe without judgement or involvement. That would give you a good idea on how it is to be without emotion.
You may even be surprised on how much more balanced you are and how much more clearer you see things without your emotions tiping the scale all the time.

I'm speaking from my own experiences on this one.

Emotions are triggered differently for different people. Those triggers depend on your past experiences... or are taught behaviour.
All that the emotion does is tell you how you feel in a certain circomstance and that is all they do really.

We can't tell how we feel about something without emotions? I think we can without turning into the tin man...

my opinion

edit to add: instinct is not an emotion

[edit on 7/10/2009 by GypsK]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Robotic? No to confined. Definetly far less human. I have to
agree with 08. We would be extinct without emotions. Our emotions have a direct affect on our free will. I also have to say that so far this thread makes one hell of a case for intelligent design. Most of all the vid.

Without emotions, we'd be extinct in roughly i'd say one or two generations.

Also 08 over a period of time you can train yourself not to react to
the shock of a loud noise, a backfire, paper bag pops behind you.
I myself have gotten to a point, that if someone sneaks up behind me,
and pops a bag, or drives their fingers into my side. The effect they were trying to achieve is some what
reversed.
People who try that crap like at work, or on the ball field whatever,
are stunned, when you just turn around and look at them.
They walk away shaken their heads. The people who know me have given up and say I have eyes in the back of my head.

It isn't done with practice.
It is such an easy thing to teach yourself, and a fun way to impress given the opportunity.
If I have stirred your interests let me know and I will jot it down right
here
Just don't want to assume to much.

Since you brought it up.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Wouldn't it become easier due to us following our instincts instead of fighting it through emotions? Or am I in a complete different boat here.

An instinct is an innate, generally automatic complex behaviour that occurs in response to specific stimuli. I don’t think you can divorce those stimuli from emotions.

reply to post by GypsK

Someone who does that still has preferences towards things he likes or are good for him and still knows what he doesn't like and what is bad for him.

Then they’re not shutting off their emotions.

You can control or ignore an emotional response but you can’t stop it without caving your head in.

Those triggers depend on your past experiences... or are taught behaviour.

Some emotional responses may be learned but certainly not all, loving your newborn baby is an innate response for everyone who does not suffer some mitigating disorder for example.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

reply to post by GypsK

Someone who does that still has preferences towards things he likes or are good for him and still knows what he doesn't like and what is bad for him.

Then they’re not shutting off their emotions.

You can control or ignore an emotional response but you can’t stop it without caving your head in.

Those triggers depend on your past experiences... or are taught behaviour.

Some emotional responses may be learned but certainly not all, loving your newborn baby is an innate response for everyone who does not suffer some mitigating disorder for example.

taste is not dictated by emotions
pain is not dictated by emotions

knowing likes and dislikes doesn't nececarily mean pulling from your emotions. Intuition can tell you this. experiences can tell you this. rational thinking can tell you this....

Do you have any idea how many (many many many) women don't feel a connection with their newborn? To say that all women 'should' creates a whole bunch more mothers with disorders.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I think emotions are there as a safeguard in some cirumstances.

If you want to know what it is like not having emotions, take a look at a man called Harry S Truman.

Only without emotions could you make a decision to drop a Nuclear Bomb on innocent people. Some scientists at the time did not even expect the reaction to stop and were afraid he could destroy the entire planet but being such a noble man as he was he went ahead anyway.

(Warning - disturbing footage of hiroshima aftermath)

What a nice guy (sarcasm)

Revenge is a powerful thing and its easy to think that people forget the past, what makes anyone doubt that whats happening to the US now was never a revenge tactic? Sadly its always the innocent people that suffer for the minions that rule the world.

Without emotions we are nothing more than devious minions.

A lot of people lack emotion these days, thats the worry I have.

Interesting topic.

[edit on 7-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Taste and pain can be called emotions in themselves depending on how you define them; they’re called homeostatic emotions.

But to find something pleasant or not, to taste something and determine that you like it does involve emotions regardless of your definition (within reason of course!). You can’t say that you can like something without having emotions.

experiences can tell you this. rational thinking can tell you this....

You can’t rationalise that you like the taste of chicken, you can determine that it isn’t going to harm you but that has nothing to do with liking it. You can also determine that you’ve like chicken in the past but that still involves evoking a prior emotional response.

As for mothers and their newborns I’d like to see the study that shows that the number that don’t quickly show an emotional response is as significant as you suggest.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Emotions are critical survival tools - at times we need to overcome them so that we can make the best choice. For example if you are affcraid of fire, but you know you have to run through a burning room to escape.

Personally - I like to cultivate my emotions and instincts - I think they are pro survival, and their power should be exploited. Sometimes displaying them can cause a negative result, so while cultivating their power - some abuility to mask them is essential.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I remember when I first sat in front of a computer, a ZX spectrum back in the mid eighties. The very first thing I typed was ‘Do you love?’ I knew nothing about computers at the time other than what I could see from science fiction movies and series like Blake seven so I had seriously anticipated a reasoned response (the innocence of childhood lol). I had seen the film “war games” where a supercomputer asked a boy if he would prefer to play chess rather than play the game of thermonuclear war. The teen on the other ZX spectrum had typed ‘LAUNCH MISSILES’ (obviously he had seen the same film).

I think that emotions can be a double edged sword. If we control our emotions long term we become stagnant and tend to find that we have withdrawn from society and yet if we give full vent to emotions we can end up in hospital or worse, in prison and I have ended up in both as it happens thanks to allowing my emotions to control my actions. Anger and rage and hate, love compassion and empathy. Those are the things that to my mind are a double edged sword and if the correct balances between the two sides of the coin so to speak are not held within check then we have nothing but turmoil of thought. Perhaps that is the true nature and a real curse for those with bi polar disorder.

It is a sad thing that emotion must be kept in kept in check either by discipline, peer pressure or sadly in many cases via the implementation of medication. I say a sad thing because I suspect that the higher emotions like love and compassion are the emotions that may be the key to furthering our species to the point where we may achieve some sort of consciousness shift or evolution of mind. One thing I am more certain of is the more base emotions that have our species engaged in warfare and violent crime are the emotions of degeneration and left unchecked could end with an enraged or unenlightened finger pressing the button of some sort of WMD.

It could be said and quite accurately that positive emotion within a certain context is a boon but it is moreover also curse because a person filled with “good vibrations” so to speak can become vulnerable to being manipulated by those who are damaged by the past, have little regard for compassion or are from a social environment where the higher emotions are seen as weakness, and thus are sometimes compelled to serve their more base needs.

Such a paradox the chemical reaction called emotion but as to living without it?

Without emotion I find it difficult to see how we could see the beauty in anything and for me I envision a world without emotion to be an utterly material world, a place of objects where the most important thing would be what can make one’s life easier so that energy is not wasted pointlessly in achieving what it is one needs. There would be no want without emotion because what one wants is rarely what one needs. I go with the premise that need comes from a feeling that the thing one wants will make one feel better but this only works for a short time and this transitory chase called retail therapy for instance is where we are letting ourselves down?

Even finding love and being engaged in the oneness that is being with a soul mate would be totally subverted to being a simple impulse to find a suitable mate rather than a lover based on what is buried within a person’s character. What is what is buried within their genes? I.e. what can you offer my progeny, my genetic line?

We love for many reasons too numerous to write here but the main reason I think is because we find something within a person we connect to on an emotional level that is akin to something spiritual and is an all encompassing thing that fills us up and floods us with endorphins, thus making the world a magical place of great promise. Without emotion would we become relegated to a more sexually promiscuous life where we would be forever hunting for the perfect mate in the physically/genetic sense and never in the – emotional/spiritual?

Without love I doubt there would be an appreciation of the arts. Without anger and hate there would be no wars except those wars which are based purely on resources or a threat like one species of ant perceives another species of ant to be a threat and thus wages war for that reason.
If we were to become a true space faring race and reached for the stars without emotion we would be reaching for the stars with a mindset based solely on exploration and expansion for resources, destroying other races we might come across if we have dispassionately assessed that they may need or want the same resources we “need”. Thus I hope we keep but evolve our emotions and not become akin to an insect race of hive minded and soulless creatures that fail to see the real value of the universe around us.

I do not think we are robots but we are wondrous biological machines that are capable of such deep thought and emotions but within our minds we are maintaining a balance between rational thought and a dichotomy of intense emotion. We have a vast distance to go where our minds are concerned but I sincerely believe that the destination is worth it. Sadly I doubt I will see it in my lifetime but I live in hope.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Perhaps I can help?

My emotions are broken and I have very little empathy.
Any questions?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Have you had this professionally diagnosed?

If so do you know the cause of this condition?

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
No and No

But I do seem to have many of the symptoms of Aspergers

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join