It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half the UK wants the return of the Death Penalty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

More than half of voters back the reintroduction of the death penalty, a new poll suggests. Many even believe the death penalty should be extended beyond mur­derers to rapists and drug traffickers. Calls for the death penalty has been heightened by recent high-profile cases, including the torture and killing of Baby P and last week's Facebook nursery child abuse trial

Metro Newspaper site

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Obviously taking into consideration not EVERYONE in the UK took part in this survey, but non the less, quite shocking these results.

Then again it is the Metro paper, something i dont consider anything more than an entertainment mag you get free on the way to work.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I agree and it should be on live tv to shame the rapists , murderers and pedo's. scum of the earth

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What about all the paedos in police, all the murderers in government, all the rapists prison guards?

Society is full of filth, and most of them work in official jobs, where they can kill anyone they want.

But society in uk, go after the victims, and hound them till the day they die.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What about all the paedos in police, all the murderers in government, all the rapists prison guards?

Society is full of filth, and most of them work in official jobs, where they can kill anyone they want.

But society in uk, go after the victims, and hound them till the day they die.

The absolute truth.

Have you seen the state of places where they moved people to because of the olympic site?
The people of high life live off the misery and misfortune of us at the bottom of the ladder.

If any punishment is needed, we need to like Michael Moore suggested,
a corporate COPS type show.
Go after the bastards that actually cause crimes

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I would love to see the return of the death penalty. Anyone that makes the most of their life at the expense of someone elses enjoyment should be punished severely.

I mean what sort of justice is there in a murderer going down for 20 years when they've taken a life? Especially if tthe murderer is young cause they'll get out and be fine. Like those filthy scumbag monstrocities that were responsible for the death of Baby P. I tell you if I could be given ten minutes alone with them in a room I'd give em a fascination with pain. i mean what sort of coward does that to a little child? And indeed an old lady? Did they do anything to someone that could have actually fought back? I'd kill them. I would. I'm so angry about these people, they literally get away with murder. What's with letting that Lockerbie (spell check) bomber go home? We should have killed him. I mean it. Did the people he killed get to go home to die? No, they flipping didn't. Bring back the death penalty and kill anyone that muderers, rapes, molests children, brutally attacks someone, because they'll do it again. If they've done it once they'll do it again and we all know it. Let me flipping do it. No gun needed, just leave me to it. Ooooh boy...

Ramadwarf on being angry

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wazthewazzock

Did you miss the bit at the bottom ? -

Harris questioned 1,100 people aged between 16 and 64.

Cmon dude this is a joking survey like they do at school, did Harris happen to ask 1100 people who happen to live in high crime area or are victims ?

The population of a large village is hardly a representation of the entire UK

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramadwarf Philes

wow you sound just like me ?

hmmmm did i post this under a second account lol.

everything you said is right however we cant do that cuz it will upset some one.

give it time history repeats its self it will be back.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
See how it said 'including the torture and killing of Baby P and last week's Facebook nursery child abuse trial'

Isn't this just a massive knee-jerk reaction? Can these people still stand up?

I mean, the way the media in the UK whips us such a frenzy of hate at these sort of things, it's just like the 2 minutes hate in 1984...

These days it seems like everyone wants their pound of flesh..

You don't get people reacting in such a way to killing of innocent civilians by our own armed forces do you? Even if you did, there's no way that it would get reported...

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
the amount of people who are subject to the miss carriage of justice in this country would mean many innocent men would be killed.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wazthewazzock

probably the same half who fear we are going to have Sharia Law in the courts of England.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What difference is there between any other murder and state sanctioned murder? You are still taking a life, or inflicting your will on another. A return to the death penalty is a step backwards and I hope that we never, ever return to it. Yes, people commit terrible, heinous acts against others, but that will not change by the re-introduction of the death penalty, look at the US. Has the death penalty proved effective in reducing violent crime? Even remotely. Besides, it costs a fortune to put someone to death, it is much cheaper to keep that person locked up for life.

Why would anyone think themselves so sufficiently morally superior as to wish to commit violence on another person just because that person has committed a crime is beyond me. The difference between you and them is that you want to have an excuse before you hurt someone. You want 'permission' before you act. That is the only difference between you and them.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I would have no problem in killing anyone who badly harmed my loved ones.
But I wouldn't feel the same about the death penalty, as a State run punishment.
Strange but true.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Consider that if we had the death penalty the Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4 would have been hung before we found out they were in fact innocent. Which is a little bit late once someone is dead.

Tho I suspect no one would be able to get a judicial enquiry into a case once the death penalty has been carried out. What court wants to know they have killed an innocent!

Take Derek Bentley for example, with the mental age of an 11 year old it took some 45 years to obtain a postumus pardon to set aside the conviction for murder, again a tiny bit late for Derek Bentley.

Knowing the risks we run of executing innocents amongst the guilty, it is not a risk I could ever consider the right one to take.

I do feel when someone is locked away for life, it should be life. Life without all the niceties. For someone to rape/kill there has to be something wrong inside their minds.. So a nice secure mental unit seems about right to me.

But the legal system in the UK right now is a joke and I feel we need to be applying the laws and sentencing we have rather than roll back the clock to Victorian Britain.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ukmadmax
I would have no problem in killing anyone who badly harmed my loved ones.
But I wouldn't feel the same about the death penalty, as a State run punishment.
Strange but true.

I don't think that is strange at all. I think that that is perfectly normal, to have an empassioned response. But to coldly kill someone because you have been told by a court of law that that person is guilty is entirely different or to expect someone else to commit murder on your behalf is in many ways worse than the initial crime itself. In my opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, half the Uk does not want that at all.
Half of a thousand odd people may want that. Depends what thick people they asked really doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
And the other half don't want it, you only tend to want something you haven't got.

I image 99% of Sun readers want it, and 12% of Telegraph readers don't.

And 72% of statistics are made up.

No one has a right to take a life, that's what should seperate us from the animals.

Yes, I want Ian Huntley to get cancer and die in pain, but I don't want the state to murder him.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by butch_uk

Not sure about the Telegragh readers saying no, ask Guardian readers 100% would be against it.

Has the DP erradicated murder rape peadophillia in countries or states where is it practised...no of course not.

Emotional retribution is entirely different to death sanctioned by the state, imho being paid to be an executioner is obscene. It will never be brought back to the UK thank goodness.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Twas an (attempted) ironic play with words and numbers, 12% don't = 88% do.

You can fix a poll any way you like to get the answer you want. Just look at Ireland.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So 500 knee-jerk reactionary mouth-breathers wanting "death 4 da paedos" suddenly equates to 50% of the country.

I despair. Not only at the people who claim such a small sample is representative of a nation of 60 million + people, but also the people who will take this as further proof of "broken britain".

As Nick Cave said, people just ain't no good. Doesn't mean i want the govt. to kill them though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join