It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Enlightenment Other Than Spiritual.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The Enlightenment of Future Generations.

First, let’s look at what enlightenment means:

Enlightenment broadly means wisdom or understanding enabling clarity of perception. However, the English word covers two concepts which can be quite distinct: religious or spiritual enlightenment and secular or intellectual enlightenment. This can cause confusion, since those who claim intellectual enlightenment often reject spiritual concepts altogether.

Now, for an enlightenment, to be proposed, it doesn’t need to be one of a spiritual nature.

I wonder though, if it’s possible if this ‘enlightenment’, everyone speaks of, isn’t of the spiritual nature.

Many speak on here, of a enlightenment, when we are all one with nature, one with that sadist in the heavens, (also known as the sky itself), or we all unanimously gain some form of higher intelligence, we all gain a new paradigm.

All are quite great, and make for a great sci-fi film, I’ll give it that.

What would it be though, for an enlightenment of the world to realize that, gasp, we are all one with nature, that, gasp, we are all brothers, and sisters!

That one race, is not above another, but only slightly perceptively above another, which we rely upon, such as an animal, which gains its livelihood from eating another animal, but without that animal the above is useless! So it is by mere perception, in which one is thusly above another.

A paradigm shift, a quick, and un-shallow shift, would not happen momentarily, but after periods, and perhaps epochs!

Now, for those hoping to wake up one day in a Utopia, tough.

I propose, that the Enlightenment, will be a non spiritual, but a scientific one.

One in which we realize, we are but atoms, but smaller, and smaller, vibrations, at that.

That we are one, and need not the mythical, and mystical fabrications are minds have wondered off to.

Perhaps, this enlightenment, will mean, that evolution, may just be true.

Now any form of this I’ve proposed, would mean, extreme upheavals, near apocalyptic!

You’ve seen what happens if you attack (question) a religion, what would happen if you could ultimately disprove it!

Beyond anything!

Many say nothing will stop their faith, but what an enlightenment, if you could.

I say this, not every knee will bow, but every knee will strike the guts, and it would be the hardest battle ever faced.

Although, what enlightenment, would be an easy one?

Could it be again that, our new paradigm is non other then just understanding, our place in the universe.

In society, we can all recognize our place, and understand it, in the animal kingdom they recognize their place, and act accordingly. Only does the human, say no, this is not my place, I am much further beyond everyone, and my arrogance leads me to say, that I am immortal, and have a special 'power' above all of this.

You can't help but laugh, assuming you would hear this from a man on the subway.

A enlightenment in now way supposes that it would afflict our 'happiness", it in fact, may make a large group extremely sad.

Many refute darwin solely because it makes them sad!

My notion is merely, would the next enlightenment, be one of sadness for some, and happiness for others?

Just an enlightenment, which furthers the humans, and doesn't involve all the fluff, we all like too much to indulge in.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Your blind self-generated dogmatic fantasy of theism versus athesim (a holy war of sorts) will prevent you from see any enlightenment. It isn't about proving or disproving the existence some dude/dudette in the sky. The transformation happens when that duality disappears from human thought and the childish notions are discarded.

Firstly, no absolute truth will be gleaned from scientific method. It explores relationships amongst phenomena, relative truths and thus further questions will remain. Nothing ultimate will be explained. Nothing ultimate will be proven. It does not possess that power. Neither does religion incidentally, for related but similar reasons.

Secondly, science and applied science briging any substantial insight about our place in the universe will have no small spiritual (inner) impact. Our technological achievments shine light on our spiritual flaws that must be overcome, where without doing so we could wipe ourselves into oblivon. Our increased spirtual awareness will open up the field of questions for us to bring under investigation.

No matter what happens we're forced to look inward to make any real progress and keep it. The spiritual and scientific are not separate entities. Any real increase in awareness of one increases the other.

I think these basics should be obvious no matter which "side" one takes. I suppose it is when one is ready for it, otherwise it appears as psychotic gibberish.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Science is merely trying to explain how things work.

Religion is merely trying to explain how the world works according to a predefined ancient ignorant people.

On the contrary many great absolute truths have come from the scientific method, ergo, saying NO ABSOLUTE TRUTH will come from the scientific method is quite wrong.

You said a very 'curious' thing though.

Unless we look inward.

Well what is inward.

I see atoms, neurons, synapses, heart muscles, bones, tissues (no not kleenex) and much much more.

And the paragon of the body, the brain, we still do not understand, but are oh so quick, to fill in the blanks with mysticism.

So, how does spiritualism coincide, and help science, and how does science moreso help religion, especially in a enlightenment.

It'd be tantamount to saying the Bloods, and The police, can coincide.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I have an opinion on the condition of enlightenment. Whether scientific, spiritual or personal.

Enlightenment is the internal realization that life worth living is a self-created condition, that giving is the true impetus, that giving fills the giver, making life a worthy, meaningful endeavor. Once the enlightened recognises this, the internal chemistry is changed to reflect a completely benevolent attitude that leads toward benevolent behavior, thinking and speech. Selfishness dies by the wayside as generosity fills the void left behind.

Giving selflessly is the key which unlocks the doors to realization of the true nature of value and worth.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Science is merely trying to explain how things work.

But, our minds are curious as to why things work. At least mine is curious. Science has working definitions for things like 'energy' but what is it? Religion falls flat on its face as well.

Religion is merely trying to explain how the world works according to a predefined ancient ignorant people.

Religion as you seem to understand it, perhaps. To say that it is ultimately worthless is ignorant. To bemoan rational investigation is ignorant as well. To use one to beat the other down is simply blind.

On the contrary many great absolute truths have come from the scientific method, ergo, saying NO ABSOLUTE TRUTH will come from the scientific method is quite wrong.

Ummm...what? What has it answered that doesn't evoke further inquiry?

It'd be tantamount to saying the Bloods, and The police, can coincide.

The revelation and the transformation is realizing that they may and they both must change their ways to do so. But, would they still be The Bloods and The Police?

They might find they are rather much alike.

So, how does spiritualism coincide, and help science, and how does science moreso help religion, especially in a enlightenment.

Like I said, it would sound like gibberish. I explained it. Science is an outgrowth of becoming more aware. Becoming more aware increases the possibilities of investigation. Our own awareness of the awareness is the nexus.

If it shall be a war of Wikipedia references:

Not to be confused with Spiritualism.

The Helix Nebula, sometimes called the "Eye of God"Spirituality is relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. Synonyms include immaterialism, dualism, incorporeality and eternity.

Spirituality has long been associated with religion, deities, the supernatural, and an afterlife. Many equate spirituality with religion, but the two are separate entities, religion being one way man experiences spirituality. Spirituality may include introspection, and the development of an individual's inner life through practices such as meditation, prayer and contemplation.

Spirituality

You said a very 'curious' thing though.

Unless we look inward.

Well what is inward.

I see atoms, neurons, synapses, heart muscles, bones, tissues (no not kleenex) and much much more.

When I look inward I am aware of my awareness of being aware. I know what the hard problem of consciousness is without anyone else having to define it for me. Noone else may. Noone really knows how (beyond saying it's darned hard
).

And the paragon of the body, the brain, we still do not understand, but are oh so quick, to fill in the blanks with mysticism.

As you just did, my friend. As you just did. You filled it in with your beliefs.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
"i look within and i see the physical"

hahahahaha

Keep looking deeper buddy. The rabbit hole goes farther than science can magnify.

I think someone needs a psychedelic experience to lift the blindfolds off his physical 'reality' to actually perceive that there is more, unseen by the normal state of awareness. That these plants can show us and guide us and reconnect us with nature, the true spirit of earth.

The farther you run from your internal self, the longer you will be haunted by your internal demons. One day, if you have the spirit in you, you will experience something that makes you question just how 'scientific' the norm of science really is. That the so-called scientific world, is misguided and not using all of its potential to discover.

Though i believe science has never been this dumbfounded in the past, the religious church has surely made it that way. As well as becoming a double edged sword for making idiots believe spiritual matters are a joke (which they are in most western religions and churches) and gullible lost souls searching for a spiritual experience through misguiding religions.

Though you will never get one through church, you will get one if you attempt to reconnect with nature. And by nature i mean the spirit of the earth. Not this #hole we call home with the phallus-wielding energy of massive buildings, monuments and homes that runs its cancerous pathway through nature.

If you can think out of the box and have the courage to experience something more than what you believe is 'just' reality, then you might find what you're looking for. But you wont find it through the basics of science and religion because it is there duty to misguide and mislead and never find an answer.

The only way you ever will find any answers is if you reconnect with your SELF and the nature around you.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"Enlightenment is the internal realization that life worth living is a self-created condition, that giving is the true impetus, that giving fills the giver, making life a worthy, meaningful endeavor. Once the enlightened recognises this, the internal chemistry is changed to reflect a completely benevolent attitude that leads toward benevolent behavior, thinking and speech. Selfishness dies by the wayside as generosity fills the void left behind.

Giving selflessly is the key which unlocks the doors to realization of the true nature of value and worth". =Hazelnut

Wow. That is an amazing thought on enlightenment.

top topics

join