It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in Washington DC ... [updated]

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What has happened to us is that with the erosion of family values we have lost law and order. People cannot be controlled by force. It doesn't work. People must consent to be governed. Our New World Order, our Rockefeller formula for "peace" has taken away the moral fiber from our people and replaced it with Might Makes Right. These "vultures" could steal from this woman because there was no one, until you came alone, to tell them not to. Even when you came along they were still not prevented from looting her. That policeman friend had to take care of the woman first but should have come to preserve her property. Law and order comes from the hearts of the people. It doesn't come from threats and intimidation. Did your policeman friend shrug his shoulders and say, oh well people are like that, or did he tell them off?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
My sister-in-law spent time as a child in a concentration camp in Austria. Their lawyer had to prove they weren't Jewish. It took a few months but he got them out. When they were taken their neighbors looted their house. But afterwards her father went around to the neighbors and requested the furniture be returned and got it back. One thing you could do is to circulate a flyer around the neighborhood and request the things be returned. Then find a Church willing to store them and, if the woman agrees, have a yard sale for her. It sounds like a lot of work, but if you or someone does this it would reinforce our values as a nation.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I can't believe what I'm reading...they're like hyenas fighting over the last scrap of meat.. I mean why do this to an elderly widow? Do they have any morals at all?!

I'm sorry but when humans start acting like crazed animals, there is something going wrong in society and there seems to be no stop for it.

Kudos to you sir, for standing up for her.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Way to lead by example... I'd star and flag this a million times if I could.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is certainly a rather sad and pathetic illustration of what everyday people are capable of. If things really do go south in this country, this is what you can expect from your neighbors especially in a large metro area like DC.

I am glad that things are working out for this woman.

Kudos to the OP for having the courage and the morals to step in to try to make a difference in someone's life.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Look at this, friends.

These are the odds that we are up against in today's America. There is a massive amount of people out there who, so long as it's not their throat under the boot, will not only turn a blind eye to the abuses of our corporacracy but will do anything and everything at their disposal to benefit from it.

Keep in mind this is not just a matter of Shroedinger's Dog -vs- The Detestable Looting Swine. We must also consider the hundreds of cars driving by that did nothing. Rest assured that if this was a dissident being black-bagged in broad daylight, the numbers would be similar.

Be ready to circle your wagons, friends. Who are your trusted compatriots? Who has your back (and not just for the purposes of picking your pockets)? Safety in numbers.

All that said . . .

Good on you, SD. It is the little acts like these that, in sufficient number, could help lift this country up. If even one of those contemptible plunderers took a moment to think about what they had become as a result of your courage it could maybe (just maybe) start to change things. Too few people are looking in the mirror these days to evaluate who and what they are. You have shown the vultures what a real Citizen looks and acts like. Maybe they'll get a good taste of self-loathing now that they have a point of reference.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is something that happened in a major US city, which is very distant to many of us. Yet, here it is. We have heard about it, and to a degree, we have seen it.

I am getting a creepy feeling from this....like it is some kind of warning
of things to come.

And a lesson is here. It's called "How Not to Behave".

If and when any of us are witness to this type of injustice, maybe we will remember this post, and be able to step forward with a little more courage and intention. Speak up for the underdog.

Because this was a bank forclosure, it is worse than if it were a renter.
In renting situations, the renter would be aware of the person's circumstances, and perhaps start notifying relatives to help her prepare for this, or even social services to help her transition to assisted living, or something else. Anything but put her out on the street like so much garbage.

But a bank? We see the continuation of what we already know them to be. Greedy and without humanity. I understand mortgages must be paid.
But common decency dictates you do not put a woman out on the street alone, without at least calling social services. But the police, I assume, had to do that. And a stranger had to call the police to get protection and assistance for her.

The Bank could have made those calls when they called the movers to go move her out. It might have lessened her trauma and humiliation.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Dawg, I am utterly disgusted.

Like animals picking over a dead carcass, only it was still alive.

It just goes to show, even people with money( or at HAD money) can be as scummy and or desperate as others.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
In America you get thrown out onthe spot for a eviciton?
Things are turfed out?
I ve never seen this here in OZ, Im pretty sure thas not what happens. If you are evicted you have an optionto go into shelter but also governement housing. These houses are usually filtered throughout all parts of town so as to avoid 'slums'. There some old fully govt funded tenamants but that is being dispered year by year.
So people in america get everything just throw onto the street?
You dont get offered shelter plus housing subsidy if required?

Yup you dont get offered a thing from what I have seen and heard. They toss you out on your butt with everything! Its sad that they dont offer anything to help those in need and going through rough times. I have seen people tossed out and then they had to sleep in their car! I live in FL so I dont know how other places are but here I have never seen any kind of housing you are able to go to after being evicted. Its like they just want you out! Its sad really.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You're a good man. Who knows what would have happened with this poor woman had you not stopped to help? If more people were like you then this country, and this world, wouldn't be in the mess it's in. Star and Flag.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Even though this has been said many, many times in the thread, I will say it again.

You are a good man and as long as there are people like you this country still has a chance!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I strongly feel that "leading by example" is just too little, too late. We're on the precipice of a social disaster, I can feel it, so can all of you. We all know it and we don't necessarily need these witness stories to confirm it.

We've been on this edge for decades, but it's getting worse. Katrina was a wake-up call, and the social decline continues after everything was swept under the rug.

There is seriously something wrong when people driving post-2000 series BMW and Mercedes go out of their way to loot from a displaced and helpless widow. It takes a serious societal meltdown to exhibit this behavior in broad daylight, like they were just stopping to pick up their god-damn Starbucks.

We can try to lead by example, but don't waste your breath or energy in a crap-stain Metro area like D.C. You would better serve yourselves and others to just leave, and go to a quieter place. If you have the means, do it. Otherwise you will just be the "timid Hyena" of the pack.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SyphonX]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
To me this shows a breakdown of society that is no occuring now it has already happened. These people who scavaged over another human beings life were obviously not taught as a child to respect other people, to help the needy, to not kick a person when they are down. These are basic concepts to the majority of us, but the majority of us were raised properly. I dont buy this depserate times hooplaa, i think these people are the product of the collapse of the moral foundations of America. To be perfectly clear im not speaking of religious morality, im speaking of morality that is inherent in every person, ways of life you learn about when you are 5-10 years old. How to be a human in society, these people IMO were never taught these basic human respects.
Its a God Damn disgrace that i read that story this morning, i could never see it in my country but thats not the point. The point is it has happened to a fellow human and it is revolting.
That person lived X amount of years on this planet and the culmination for her life was having to be humiliated. Soo sad!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
there have been a few responses with the same general message and tone - that she somehow brought this upon herself

so - what if she did?

I want to say something - and I also don't want to sound like a jerk

I'm being sincere - there's something interesting about this view - and it makes me wonder about the people who see the world this way

everyone knows the laws - rules, regulations

what some don't factor in is - those things don't apply to all people in the same way at the same time

have you never once in your life known an elderly person who was having difficulty just figuring out just the simple things in life?

I've seen my own elderly relatives have trouble figuring out how to handle simple situations - let alone the really big ones - and stress doesn't generally make your thinking clearer - even when you're young

this woman lost her husband - my sister lost her husband when she was in her early 30s - she went through a long period of barely being able to figure out how to do her own laundry by herself - do you see?

this woman's predicament was overwhelming - and she would not be the first woman in trouble to not want to be a bother - to not want to burden anyone

also understand that - for some people this is a genuine concern - to not burden other people

especially for the people of a certain age - a generation where that was a rule

this country has always admired the type of person who doesn't seek help or accept handouts - I find it interesting that her "pride" is an issue here

it's not just about pride

while I can sympathize with the landlords to a degree - to justify tossing someone out on the street with nothing because they didn't follow the rules is a symptom of the weirdness that is America sometimes - and our love of "the rules"

we love to be thought of as independent thinkers - freedom riders - people who will be there for each other - until someone doesn't follow the rules

at some point you will watch your own mother have a hard time understanding her phone bill - and maybe you will understand this situation a little better

[edit on 10/2/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

A great point well made. Maybe this poor lady had never paid a bill or talked to the bank her whole life, if her husband had dealt with all of that. And remember she is still really in mourning for him if he died just a year ago. The whole point of this thread and SD's reaction is not her financial history or how good she is a keeping the household books, but the appalling reaction of people passing her in the street, and taking her stuff.

Doggy...thank you so much for posting, and I hope that somehow these photos do get to the Washington Post, if for nothing more than to SHAME the people in them for how they treated this lady. I know that you would get more involved if you could, but your wife is right...do what you need to to be truly helpful, and then let her deal with it. It's not hard, or selfish, it's just making sure that you don't run out of energy to deal with the next person who might need your help. Your wife clearly has excellent judgement...she married you, after all.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
S&F for you man. What you did, that's what's up for real chief.

I wish more of us had you kind of compassion.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am really having a hard time coming to terms with this. I've seen my fair share of horrors and the darker side of humanity, but those experiences have always been associated with individuals whose darkness represents a small minority.

Reading your post has torn away a great part of my optimism for humanity. I can only sit here and shake my head. Words fail me. As does hope for our future.

You're a good person SD. I've always seen glimpses of your humanity in your posts. This one shows how rare you are indeed.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

The whole point of this thread and SD's reaction is not her financial history or how good she is a keeping the household books, but the appalling reaction of people passing her in the street, and taking her stuff.

really - the best - and main point

I care about how she got there - but even without that - she didn't deserve what came after - regardless

the thing that gets to me in all this is how far people will go to distance themselves from other people's pain and hardship

the rationalizing

is it so difficult for people to care that they have to establish "legitimate" reasons why we shouldn't?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Damn, until you posted those pictures I was still clinging onto the hope that you was just a liar.

Strange as it may sound, I'm sure you understand why In this instance I'd prefer it if you had been a liar.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
I am really having a hard time coming to terms with this. I've seen my fair share of horrors and the darker side of humanity, but those experiences have always been associated with individuals whose darkness represents a small minority.

Reading your post has torn away a great part of my optimism for humanity. I can only sit here and shake my head. Words fail me. As does hope for our future.

You're a good person SD. I've always seen glimpses of your humanity in your posts. This one shows how rare you are indeed.

x2

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join