It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in Washington DC ... [updated]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+191 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I just went to the supermarket to buy some food, I'm driving back home and see a commotion on the side of the road on a sidewalk.

Someone had just been evicted from their apartment (condo) and all their belongings were on the street. I pulled over to see what was happening and I see what must have been a 60 to 70 year old lady crying her eyes out on the sidewalk.

Next to her were 20 to 30 people scavenging her life's belongings like freakin' vultures right in front on her. keep in mind that I live in a nice neighborhood, there were people with escalades and BMW's going through her stuff along with some local university students I guess.

I just couldn't believe it ... these animals were relentless fighting over each other over her stuff while she was sitting there crying ... an old lonely woman no less.

I went up to talk to her to see if she was alright ... she was ill, her husband died suddenly a year before leaving her with no income or savings, no family, and apparently had been hoping she could die before this day came so that she didn't have to face it.

I asked if she needed money and she said no! So I called a friend of mine who's a police sergeant in the local precinct and waited till he came over to take her away from that nightmare and into a shelter. I also gave him some money to secretly slip into her pocket.

I'm going to go back right now and see if I can take some pictures for you, but what the hell man? After my friend and she left I freakin' ripped into these shameless excuses for human beings.

I realize this is a scene going on over the States and the world right now but still, to see people (in some cases wealthy people) act like crack addicts after a pair of sneakers just crushed me to no end ...

update:

Ok so I just spoke to my policeman buddy, he didn't have a lot of time to talk but this is the gist of it ...

He won't tell me much in terms of personal details for privacy reasons, but he said he took her to a hospital to calm her down and for her to be checked out and has arranged accommodation for her at a local shelter that deals with the elderly.

But here's the good news, she probably won't need to stay at a shelter. She has loads of friends to whom she was to ashamed to confide in and who have been worried sick about her today! Silly girl, too much pride to ask for help or burden her friends.

My friend is going to keep an eye on her and check on her but apparently she's going to be ok eventually ... after she gets over todays trauma.

I can't tell you what a weight has been lifted from me. It doesn't make anything I saw today alright but I was dreading what could have become of her once she got lost in the system.

Thanks everyone, I cannot even begin to tell you how much your support meant to me today. I shall never forget it. And of course I will let you guys know if I hear anything else.

[edit on 1 Oct 2009 by schrodingers dog]

Oh and I'm going to catch up with him tomorrow to find out about if what these people did was legal.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Star and Flad this needs to get out there... I see this # everyday in Cincinnati, Houses being forclosed and shock troops (police) coming in to take you out and it doesnt matter who there are... It truly time for a debtor revolt.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My story and my way of fighting back

[edit on 1-10-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As i sad in another post, quoting georg carlin.. the great spirit of american gernosity..
stars n flag for what you did man...wow. I feel bad for her... shame on those, middle income to ealthy pouncing and steeling her belongings. We are no longer a country of salvitude or manners..weve only learned how to be selfish and immoral*

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
this is why we need to arm our citizens, any real man with any kind of morals (liek yourself) with a gun could have stood them down.

this makes me sick.

perhaps you could get some info for us to help her?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
That's sick. Why would people do that to someone? I'm beginning to loose my decent understanding of human beings.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ugh! That is actually very upsetting
It actually brought a tear to my eye at the same time made me angry.

BLESS YOU for what you did.

I have actually seen something similar before - but not to the horrible extent you saw

With that said....I used to know a woman who worked for an apartment complex. She said that when they knew a person would be evicted and they were going to be removing their stuff...they (other people in the office) would do a walk thru of the apartment and decide who would get what.

[edit on October 1st 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
They were stealing... Her stuff may be in the street but it IS STILL HERS! Take photos. Get names and addresses... Call your cop friend again... and if you have the room help her store what she has...

That is a very sad thing to hear about Schordingers dog.

Freaking horrible.... and that is what this country has become..... Horrible.

Travesties like this have become everyday... and that is what is in my mind..... how does one be the change they want to see in such a case?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Simply, You make me Proud of the good American's.

thanks for sharing S&F

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Man that is awful. With her standing right there. I am floored.

This isn't the same but I want to explain a feeling:

I moved out of an apt into a new one when I broke up with an ex. The ex, still trying to win me over, got his friends to help me move. Most of the furniture was mine. They decided I was evil for breaking up with him and got together with a plan. It was halloween night. They threw all of my stuff out of the trucks and took off and left me alone with my things in the apt parking lot, and drove away laughing.

I tell you, you feel absolutely vulnverable and exposed, with all of your woldly belongings for everyone to see. It is NOT a pleasant feeling. I can't imagine what it is like with no home to put them in.

Bless your heart for trying to help her. But there needs to be a law to protect people's stuff in this case.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

you did the right thing. this idea needs to spread. It will catch if enough people hear about it. It's so damn simple, help out your neighbor. period.

Thanks Sdog for being you.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Truly a sign of the times. A sad, pathetic, but horrendously ominous sign of the times.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ok I took a few pics, but you're going to have to trust me that less than an hour ago there were tons of people there and the sidewalk had mountains of furniture and belongings on it.

What I captured here are the stragglers picking at the leftovers.

Argh!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

I realize this is a scene going on over the States and the world right now but still, to see people (in some cases wealthy people) act like crack addicts after a pair of sneakers just crushed me to no end ...

In a time when I find it very hard to point to outstanding examples of what humanity is all about, you've provided a great one. Your actions give me hope that good people, who act to help others simply because they are a member of the human race, still are out there.

I tip my hat to you.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
WTF thats a 7 series BMW in that bottom picture, that is by no means a cheap car so why the hell is someone who can at least afford the down payment sinking to such a depth. To hear someone wish for death to avoid such a situation really speaks volumes about the state of things. Some savy non-profit minded folks should really start up some kind of organization to help folks in this situation, because its just not right to do that to someone and then allow the common scum of the planet paw through their belongings like that.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Perhaps it is a sign of the times. I would like to think that in my village this couldn't happen and the community would pull together to help someone put on the street. I may be naive.
Couldn't arrangements have been made to store her stuff until she found a place to live by the landlords that evicted her. What cold bastards!

If I can help, I'm just a u2u away.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I feel a little sick and a lot disgusted.

Thank you schrodingers dog for being such a decent human being and bringing this to light.

Foreclosures and Evictions are never pretty, but it only makes matters worse when everyone involved in the process is so inhuman and remorseless.

I can't imagine any one of these people not being able to stop and ask an old woman crying by the side of the street what was wrong, or if she needed help! To treat the whole scene like the opening of Walmart the day after Thanksgiving is just unbelievable!

We used to ask impolite or inconsiderate people if they were born in a barn. I guess now we need to modify that and ask them if they were born in a bank. How sad.

We need more people like you SD. Primitive people learn by example. Perhaps some of those people you chastised will follow your example and it will begin to spread.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is a sad and disgusting story. Thank you for being there for that lady. I can only imagine things getting worse when the SHTF. People have been brainwashed by materialism.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You are indeed a noble human being. Kudos. For real. I'm so happy to see some hope in humanity.

The rest of us are going to hell. That is all.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Helig I'm telling you when I first got there it was all nice cars ... this is at the corner of Cathedral and New Mexico avenue, what seemed until today a nice neighborhood with decent people.

What took this old lady a lifetime to acquire was gone in less than 45 minutes ... they were competing so hard when I first got there that her pictures were flying everywhere ... her pictures from her life for god's sake.

I'm having a very hard time with my emotions right now ...

Edit to add: I appreciate the kind words guys I really do. I didn't have much on me (less than $100). But I will check on her later and see if she needs anything else. But please, it's not really about me, I hope you don't think I shared this to get kudos. It's really tearing me apart.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
So now that you have taken pictures your gonna offer them to some of your DC newspapers right? Maybe tell them about this crime of humanity... Maybe help that old lady?

I mean look at the swift response you got here...

You may be able to help out that woman just a bit more if you can get the media involved.

It might be worth the effort for her part...

Just thinking...

PS TO ADD

I know how it can be... I think many of us do... Some of us ourselves have been homeless and helpless before. You did what you could... Now all that can be done is the after care... Those jackals have already made of with her belonging... but she still has her life... and she will sleep in a warm place tonight instead of a bench... You hand a hand in making sure of that.

Be well my man...

Things are tough all over.

Especially for both you and her right now.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by titorite]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join