It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your choice of a survival weapon?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The people that said Their Brain. You win a gold star and go top of the class.

Those ( including myself ) who said a sturdy knife, Close but are on the right path.

A gun, yes useful but it will all depend on the survival situation we find ourselves in.

I personally feel that a decent knife far out weighs any gun.

Hey my opinion,

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
AK-74!
en.wikipedia.org...
It has all the best features of the AK, while answering all of those advantages of the AR. The ammo is STILL dirt cheap compared to the rest, for Russian military surplus armor piercing ammo in sealed cans in crates. And you can run cheap ammo thru it, it being Kalishinkov. I watched a 'brand new' Bushmaster AR jam repeatidly using US mil spec brass case ammo, without excessive lube. What a joke. The AR looks cool in the movies, but once you pick up and fire never been fired AK47, AK74, SKS and AR-15 in one day you'll laugh at the concept of actually fighting wars with the AR / M16 platform. But today ammo costs are of top concern in a thread like this and all roads point to the AK74!

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
A sharp mind.

Ownership of a weapon always leaves the thought in the back of your mind that you are "prepared" for whatever situation may come your way.

You've got to flex your mental muscles, and make sure you never have to pick up that gun.

I'd rather avoid a fight than win one. Victory is for testosterone-heads. (Often dead ones, at that)

The clever tactician achieves triumph by using little energy to achieve great results.

[edit on 14-10-2009 by 30_seconds]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 30_seconds

You're right.

But it depends on what is meant by "survival weapon". That does not necessarily mean fighting. It could mean putting meat in the pot.

.22s have taken a lot of meat.

They have also been used to kill a lot of people. Not that it is the best choice for defense, mind you.

www.ojp.usdoj.gov... (PDF)

Page 5

Firearms
were identified as the murder weapon
in 600 cases. Over 70% of the firearms
used were handguns. Of those
handguns for which the caliber and
firing action could be identified, 19%
were .38 caliber revolvers, 10% were
.22 caliber revolvers, and 9% were 9
millimeter semiautomatic pistols.

[edit on 14/10/09 by PSUSA]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I watched a 'brand new' Bushmaster AR jam repeatidly using US mil spec brass case ammo, without excessive lube. What a joke.

Really? I've fired thousands.

The only malfunction I've ever had was the result of cheap magazines. with them I got fail to feed and double feeds galore. Never use cheap mags. Not even on the range. Throw them away if you have any.

The rifle you saw is an anomaly. Bushmaster is a good manufacturer. They didn't get as big as they are by putting out crap.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Quite simply a bow. I pack 6 bow strings in my BOB because bow strings are really hard to make, believe me i've tried. My strings tended to snap after 40 shots and the power was a little low. Enough to hunt with but not something i would want to keep making over and over. So yeah 6 bow strings should last a good long time, enough to settle yourself into a location.

A bow is silent and lethal, ammunition can be easily made and if the bow itself breaks you can make a whole new one. With practice you can make an excellent one, without practice a laymen you can make one good enough to hunt.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

actually 2 weapons...both in the rig at all times....

1 AR15 and 1 Government 1911 45ACP with 6 clips for the AR and 10 for the 45.

also a razor honed hunting knife and stone in sheath....

The wife carries a SKS in her rig along with a beretta 92.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
beretta cx4 storm .45 ACP, kukri knife, and a backup AK47

never buy an AR15 or M16, they jam too easy and must be cleaned constantly.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by BlesUTP]

judging from your words I don't believe you speak from expirience.

First off, the purpose of the cx4 storm is that it shares magazines with the 92fs, so if you have both, you can interchange ammo and magazines. Beeing that your secondary would be a .45 acp, and 92fs doesn't come in .45 acp, you have defeated the very thing that makes the cx4 a good rifle to carry, considering it is a low power pistol round. No to mention you need to now carry 3 different kinds of ammo and magazines to go with it, 9mm, .45 acp, and 7.62. But then again, if your gunna carry 2 long guns and a pistol I guess you aren't worried about your load weight.

Secondly, ar-15s have come a long way. My Rra has a chrome line bull barrel, improved feed ports, low recoil, and weighs about 6lbs. It is very accurate as well, and after a few thousand rounds it has jammed 0 times.

Ak-47's may not jam, but they are difficult to control due to recoil, very very innacurate, feel vey sloppy in your hands, plus the bolt doesn't autolock back on the last round so every time your empty you must re-cock, while I just hit the side of my rifle and the next round is chambered, ready to go.

Ar-15's are SUPERIOR to ak's. But hey, do what you will, just don't expect to enter a fair gunfight toting one of those against an ar/m16.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OneDivided

feel vey sloppy in your hands

There you go.

I thought about getting one. I held it. The word that comes to mind is "rickety". I put it back on the shelf. It was so loose that it rattled when I shook it. Not good.

And the sights sucked.

It was made for people that had little or no training or even education. If you went to school and if you know the basics of marksmanship then why mess with a rifle that was built for people that had none of that?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I like the idea of a primitive bow and a quarter staff of American beech or Hophornbeam (iron wood).
I suppose hickory or oak would do as well.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A walking stick wrapped with para cord. Not popular but its my choice and I'm sticking to it

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
1.Kabar
2.RMJTactical Tomahawk
3.Sig P229 (9mm)
4.LMT AR-15...(5.56)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

Do you really think you would need 10 1911 mags? Im thinking 10 AR mags and 6 1911 mags??

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It would be two saw blades tied to a thick piece of wood. Good for all your dicing and slicing needs. Or a good sword

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
If most people are after resources, why be a target? I say the best survival tactic is no physical weapon.

Those who can be most flexible in mind during crisis will survive the longest.

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
i happen to like www.amazon.com... i nice blade and certainly a pretty good tool

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join