It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your choice of a survival weapon?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

I agree that I would prefer a knife for an over all survival weapon,

or tool.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The path is as follows
rock or sturdy stick gets you a knife
a knife gets you a gun
a gun gets you a long gun

I'll just pick up what's available at the time. I wouldn't want to get hung up "I've got to have this or that". I'll take what the bad guy has and put it to use.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
My choice of ultimate survival weapon is not impressive to look at, but you will never see all of it. Downside, it is almost soggy, and it can degrade over time. Upside, it comes in a pretty good protective case, and it is physically with me all of the time. It needs to be used to remain sharp, but you can 'lose' it.

Yup, my brain.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ruger 22/45. .22 LR w/5.5" bbl and Red Dot, and more accurate than I am once I found the ammo it liked.

That is strictly for survival. Fighting is a different story.

I recommend that handgun. Takedown can be a bitch until you get the hang of it though. Once you do, it's not a problem. You just have to follow the directions to the letter.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
A bag of seeds and some flint. Survival isn't about defense necessarily. Guns will eventually break or run out of bullets. You can always make weapons for defense but if you truly need to survive you had better have a renewable resource than a limited one like a gun.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
With what I normally keep on-hand, I can't imagine myself ever running out of ammo, so if I had to choose one firearm I would probably choose a shotgun with a variety of birdshot, buckshot and slugs. With that, I can hunt pretty much any game in North America and it's great for self defense as well.

The Judge is an awesome pistol, don't get me wrong, but a crappy survival weapon IMO. Great for self-defense but it would seriously suck to have to hunt with that thing. The short, rifled barrel makes pellets from the .410 disperse WAAAY faster than a shotgun. The rifling is responsible for alot of that. At a mere 5-6 feet the shot pattern is about 8 inches. Beyond 10-15 yards the pattern is so large and pellet velocity decreased so much it's worthless. If you want multiple projectiles for bird hunting you're better of throwing a handful of gravel.

The .45 LC cartridge is formidable indeed but remember we're talking about a pistol here, not a rifle, and hitting a dinner plate-sized target (kill zone on a deer) at anything beyond 25 yards is going to be really difficult.

Like I said the Judge is definitely cool, but you'd be severely limiting yourself IMO in choosing it as your only weapon for SHTF

If I had to pick ONE weapon, to used for survival and devense until civilization was restored, knowing that it could be months or years down the road, I would choose an atlatl.

[edit on 10/2/2009 by Mortimer452]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

My first reaction..... OH WOW!!!! That's cool!!

Then when I saw the price....OH WOW!!! Maybe next time.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Like most people here, My choice of survival weapon is my two full tang knives with a sharpening block.

A gun would be nice while you had bullets, a cross bow ( which I have ) is great until my spare strings break.

So for me it's the knives.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Giant mouse trap with 6 pack of beer to place in the middle.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mortimer452
With what I normally keep on-hand, I can't imagine myself ever running out of ammo,

[edit on 10/2/2009 by Mortimer452]

At this moment I like to think alot of things won't happen I don't want to imagine life in a survival situation but I still prepare to the best of my ability .

It's the assumption that will lead to your downfall friend.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The judge is just about the last weapon I would choose for a survival situation. My go-to ensemble would be a 1911 (.45 acp) and I know magazine capacity may be an issue, but I feel that the stopping power of that cartridge makes up for the less than ideal capacity. Of course, the handgun would only be used if I couldn't get to my rifle, which is and would be a carbine length ar15 in .223/5.56.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Long Gamma Ray burst for the SPACE BUG INFESTATION.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The best weapon of all is the brain. Thousands of years of experience has proven that the more cunning, wise, and thinking individual has the upper hand. Can you deceive an enemy into thinking you're his friend when you are in danger..? Can you plot to take his food..? Can you manipulate him into fighting for you only to take advantage of the situation..? Can you cause him to think your enemy is really his enemy..? And can you plot and execute a plan to kill him before he kills you.

It's not a matter of going to the streets with a gun and shooting at the enemy, it's planning and executing a plan of survival in the event of a total societal collapse. The thinking person wins every time. All other weaponry is secondary to your first weapon of choice. Your brain.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

THIS. Including Dany Trejo.

No, seriously. I guess I would go to the nearest gardening shop and take everything I can. They have dozens of axes and polishing stones. You can also take away the blades from the secators and add them a handle to make yourself a sword, but axes are more enduring I guess, and they allow you to fight AND to cut wood. Also, they often sell animals like rabbits and fishes (not the exotic ones, who are too needy, but random fishes designed to be put in outside ponds. It would be a very good idea to get some of them and make them breed : good source of meat.

So, definitely, I would take axes. Firearms run out of ammo way too fast for me.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If I had to pick one gun to pick up on the way out then that gun would have to be my 10/22... Why is simple, light reliable I can carry a brick of ammo in my pocket... I've modified mine so much I'm cool with taking small game out to 150 yards... Never tried but I'm sure I could take down larger game at closer distances... three quick head shoots should do the trick... sure the folks with bigger centerfire weapons have me beat in range but I'm not looking to engage in a protracted fire fight... at best just pop off a few rounds to keep their heads down while I beat feet out of there...

Plus I have so many spares parts for my 10/22 and have spend so very many years tweaking and rebuilding this gun I know I can swap out the trigger assembly quicker then most can clear a jam...
My choice goes to what I know best...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19ba2a879d7e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
If I had to pick one gun to pick up on the way out then that gun would have to be my 10/22... Why is simple, light reliable I can carry a brick of ammo in my pocket... I've modified mine so much I'm cool with taking small game out to 150 yards... Never tried but I'm sure I could take down larger game at closer distances... three quick head shoots should do the trick... sure the folks with bigger centerfire weapons have me beat in range but I'm not looking to engage in a protracted fire fight... at best just pop off a few rounds to keep their heads down while I beat feet out of there...

Plus I have so many spares parts for my 10/22 and have spend so very many years tweaking and rebuilding this gun I know I can swap out the trigger assembly quicker then most can clear a jam...
My choice goes to what I know best...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19ba2a879d7e.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5-10-2009 by DaddyBare]

Did you have to actually break off the end of an empty magazine in order to make it fit past the handle?

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

This slingshot has a laser-pointer integrated into its frame. The manufacturer guarantees that it's dangerous to 250 feet, and can hit beer cans or filthy city pigeons at 50 feet.–Brian Lam

Lazer Sighted Slingshot

I couldn't find the other 50 threads on favorite survival weapons

The Javelin

Throw it At people with guns when their not looking.
Get girlfriend to distract them.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
oops double posts

[edit on 5-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
My zippo is probably my survival weapon of choice.

Easily explainable in day to day situations but can provide me with fire if i'm caught out in the wilderness and can easily be used to make other makeshift pyro weaponry. Plus i always keep it stocked with extra flints and its fluid is very light and small so i can carry it with me if needed. if on the run from the cops or nwo police i would have it over any gun.

im not planning to fight these people just escape.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I would have to say a good wooden baseball bat. it's sturdy, dependable and it doesn't really break, it just turns into a series of sharp wooden spikes.
I don't know if any of you have ever tried hunting with a bat, it actually can work. They can be thrown, trap-set and obviously used as a club.
Last, If your attacked by almost anyone, a jab with the handle to the sternum will know the wind out 'em, the a crak to the skull or neck will decommission even the meanest attacker.

[edit on 13-10-2009 by I_AM_OVERLORD1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join