It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur Bones On Display

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
No conspiracy here(that I know of, at least). Just thought I would share these pics I took at a free exhibit here. They are auctioning these off and if you can take the time to get into the Venetian hotel and then walk miles to get to this, it's worth it.

Sorry the pics are so big, I didn't realize they were that size. They come up smaller on my computer and I thought that's what they would be on here. Here's the link to the article about it.

Las Vegas Review-Journal

[edit on 9/26/2009 by TheLoony]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this!

My father is a paleo scluptor (I have shared his work here before) and creates sculptures for museums, etc. He also has a huge collection of things he has found on one of his many digs.

Anyways, I will pass this on to him!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Great pix, ty.

BUT...they are AUCTIONING THESE???

These bones should be kept and studied by qualified people, or at least be kept in museums, and these people are SELLING THEM FOR A BUCK???

I am horrified.

I just hope that the right people will buy them.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Awesome, except I don't think it's right to auction off something like this.

OH MY GOD! I just noticed... YOU'RE A TIME TRAVELLER!

Don't feel bad, I've had my camera for over a year and I still can't change the damned time stamp.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Oh my, having things like that in your own living room would give the guests something to talk about. their rightful place should still be in the museums though.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I think they will be auctioning them to museums and such but I am unsure. Some of the smaller ones were going for 50-60,000 bucks or so. I didn't see a price on the T. Rex LOL!

The reason the pics seem out of sequence, like the T. Rex then later, the close up of it's head(not the unattached head) is because I did this over two days. Some friends came into town and I showed them the Venetian(gotta see it if you come here, it's freakin' amazing) and I only had a hour or so to charge the camera(also why the dates are quite far off, I forgot to change the date and time like a fool). I didn't want to use it all up on the dinos because I wanted to get pics of the frescoes. It was easier to just put the pics into my ATS in the order they were taken. I'm lazy, should have done it better. I ended up going back today and getting more pics, better ones of the frescoes and a couple of the living statues. Those people are amazing. I don't know how they can stand still like that, sort of like the physical freaks that are in the Cirque Du Soleil shows. Anyway, once I got home and was able to see them on the computer, I saw what I needed to go back and get, like the head of the T. Rex which is supposed to be the only one that isn't crushed.

That tenth pic, they say, is a cat. Uh huh, like no cat I've ever seen. The ninth is supposed to be a pig. Don't ask me, that is what THEY say(whoever THEY are).

I think it's funny that I put up a better picture of the cat than the newspaper. You can't really see it in their pic, those idjits.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Thanks for that loony! I enjoyed every picture, and hope they don't end up absolutely locked away in some jerk off TARP beneficiary's den.

Vegas besides being sin city has a wealth of attractions, and things to see. I always skipped the strip that far north, but have been all over NY, NY; MGM; Excalibur; The Orleans; Luxor; etc.

The amount of cool stuff is never ending in those. All of them surprisingly have something culturally, or possibly mystically inspiring; besides how to blow Your life savings in less than a day

Thanks again,
S&F

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

S & F, Loony,

I really do hope they don't go to some private collector.

And I don't think I would have stroked that cat!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Dude, this is right up the street from those places(well, the Orleans is off Strip). Walking distance, if you have shoes. I didn't until today(they were worn out from my failed attempts at farming in the rock strewn backyard) and was on the Strip, in and out of hotels, with just sandals. I'm in pain, let me tell ya.

Yeah, there are some very cool things going on here. I SOOOOOO want to see Love, the Beatles show by Cirque but there just isn't the money because there are no damned jobs here. I never, ever wanted to come back here except to visit(and even then it sucks, I don't really like my family nor the two friends I have in town). Cheap Trick, yeah, THAT band, just did like nine days of Sgt. Pepper live that I would have loved to see but oh well, didn't happen.

Did you notice I happen to be a Beatles fan? Did that come through LOL!

Anyway, I'm glad you guys got to see this, even if you aren't here. As cool as the dinos are, you should see the chicks here. If only I were cool, but alas, I'm not. I'm way too far down the rabbit hole to have a normal conversation with anyone. Works well on ATS but not so well in real life. 'Tis the price I pay for being Loony.

Sorry, enough of my off topic remarks. Will I get yelled at for derailing my own thread? Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Ok back off everyone I have dibs on Samson (T-Rex) first I need to win the million in the lotto though

Great post! I have alway loved dinosaurs and even compare them to cute little kittens
I hope the money is going to a good cause and the fossils will stay in public view
I dont like when private collectors keep things like this to themselves in some room they dont really go into
or even care about. Hopefully Samson will make some new museum owner happy
S&F!

I know someone with a mummy sarcophagus and it just sits on their patio and its an old one from Egypt! It really kills me that this person has no idea that he has history just "getting in his way" as he puts it. Well give it to me!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Thanks for posting these pics. They are a good size and we can see everything very clear!! Very interesting. I too am surprised that they are being auctioned. Hopefully they will go to museums so everyone can enjoy them! Thanks again!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Very nice picture! What the heck was that last one?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

Looks like minnows. Dunno the species.

I liked the other fossils to, the saber tooth cat and the meg's jaw.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How much does a dinosaur bone go for? I am really curious.

One of the biggest dissappointments in my life is finding out that the bones on display at a museum, are replicas. They keep the real ones in storage.

That is 50 times worse then finding out Santa isn't real.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by William One Sac

The one in the middle sort of looks like a skate, but cartilaginous fish don't do well through fossilization, right? So... something ray-finned that resembles a skate. Maybe something related to a flounder, actually. Bilaterally symmetrical dorsal and pelvic fins. It's weird. I'm sure I'm overcomplicating it, though.

top topics

join