It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How easy can conscription happen if a war breaks out??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Does conscription only happen in a world war? Or is it possible for it to happen in small wars aswell??? What are the measures involved for conscription to happen?? Also I know that with conscription they use a sort of lottery system to determine who goes and who dosen't. Also if a world war occured I heard there would be no way to pay out of conscription, which I find hard to believe as I doubt any celebrities would fight for the country. Mabey im wrong
What do you guys think??

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
People in the US were drafted for both Korea and Vietnam. A number of congressional members discussed a possible draft for the War on Terror. In the event of a war that is going to need large numbers of troops, you can bet on it. Especially given the unemployment rate today.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
They don't need to reinstate the draft. The National Guard alone has more people wanting in than they have spots for. I'd imagine it's not much different for the other branches.

National Guard is getting picky about enlistees
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Suffer from a bad case of acne? That could disqualify you from joining the Army National Guard. Too many speeding tickets? That could keep you out, too.

Under pressure from the Pentagon to trim its ranks, the Guard has been quietly phasing in restrictions that make it harder to enlist.

"To get in now, you have to be the cream of the crop," said Sgt. First Class Brian Clum, a recruiter in Ohio.

Military officials portray the cutbacks as an effort to trim excess from a Guard force bloated from years of successful recruiting, especially during the recession.

. . .

Under new rules issued by the National Guard's top recruiting commander this year, the maximum enlistment age was lowered from 42 to 35 and the minimum acceptable score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Test, the exam required by all military branches, was raised for the Guard from 31 to 50 out of a possible 100.

Also, the Guard stopped forgiving potential recruits for offenses such as theft, assault, and driving under the influence. And it stopped issuing medical waivers, which allowed recruits to be admitted despite health problems as serious as an extreme food allergy and as minor as a painful bout of acne.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Isen't there a price you can pay to get out of it?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Yeah, ask Al Gore.

And for the story behind that joke link

Still a good song though.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Isen't there a price you can pay to get out of it?

if you are in Canada does it matter? did you guys have the draft? do you fill out draft cards? on a side note, I read thats there'll be no more running off to Canada for people who are scared or disagree with war.

Personally I am all for it but only if we NEED it. Not to fight some political war in Iraq.

as for paying to get out, I never heard that although no doubt rich people have loop holes. plus they'll take drop outs and the such before college students. at least thats how 'nam went (says my father)

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

If you have an Irish born grandparent you may be eligible for citizenship .
But, you'll have to provide proof of direct kinship.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I know, I was just wondering about the U.S.A laws. In Canada conscription only happens if its a world war.

top topics

join