It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cigarette Taxes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

not everyone has the time or skill or patience to roll their own. for me its alot simpler to just go out and buy a pack of 20 then sit there for 20 minutes rolling them.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Copenhagan is a very popular brand of snuff. Its not a smoking tobacco.

One pinch will give you the nicotine of 5 cigarrettes.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Hate snuff,tried it a few times.Doesn't tickle my pickle.Plus im personally just as addicted(if not more) to the whole ritual of rolling a cig,lighting it and the hand to mouth action
I can quite easily get through nicotine withdrawal,its the mental habit that always gets me.Especially when im having a nice few beers,seems strange to not have a cigarette aswell.Course can't smoke in pubs these days

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Move to Kansas, there are still a few counties that haven't fallen to the anti smoking cry babies.

I gave up drinking when I gave up smoking, so the California hippie laws don't bother me that much.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

yea i find myself more mentally addicted then physically although im pretty sure im both

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
FSC sucks, plain and simple. Throw it in the ashtray while I type a few lines and it's out. Ticks me off. Seriously, how many cases of someone falling asleep and burning up their house have you heard of? I know of none. I'm sure it happens but it's quite rare. Just another way they can put chemicals we don't need into something. Just like our food supply, full of crap we don't need.

In 2005, I was at the end of my rope with alcohol. For a year or two I would get up and drink a beer if I had one left. Then go to work and put vodka/gin in my water. Have a beer or three at lunch and a twelve pack at night. Every day for years. I learned how to drink in Las Vegas where the bars never close and had been a drunk, a bad drunk, for years dating back to the mid '90's. All I really cared about was where my next beer was going to come from.

I decided one day I had had enough and stopped, August of '05. Never looked back. Rarely have I even had cravings for alcohol, because I changed my mindset and said I'm done with it, that's it. Because I WANTED to quit, I did.

I have never really wanted to quit smoking because for some reason I enjoy inhaling fire. Hence why I have not stopped. I know the risks but you only live once and I do what I please and smoking pleases me.

The most ridiculous thing is banning it from bars. What a joke. Go in and drink your tail off, which can be done for days on end in this town - I know, I've done it - yet you can't have a smoke with it? Insane. At least the laws here are a bit more lax than in other states where the bar can either close it's food facilities or they can close it off so the smoke can't get into the kitchen. Most bars here you can still smoke in. Not that it affects me anymore but still it's cool for those that choose to drink.

I think they would have had riots if they truly banned smoking from bars here. It's Las Vegas, you are supposed to be able to kill yourself easily in this town.

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. once called the habit "suicide by cigarette", yet he didn't die from it. Most people don't. My Mom is in her '70's and my grand parent's lived into their late '80's, early '90's and smoked for decades. It CAN kill you but the odds of it happening are much less than what THEY tell you they are.

To hell with them. I'm so sick and tired of being told by TPTB what I can or can't do, I'm ready for it all to hit the fan. I want my rights as a human being back and am willing to fight for them.

As for taxation, that's also a huge lie. They just want all our money and will do whatever they can to get it from us.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by foremanator
Here is what I know
99% of all smokers start before the age of 18.

Uh, can you source that, please? I'd be willing to be *most* everybody who's ever smoked even a single drag off a cig did so as a kid, sneaking a smoke just to act mature. But actually, actively smoking? 99%? I call bullcrap.

If you want people to quit make them unavailible. At the very least the people that smoke should buy through a pharmacy with a prescription from a doctor.

Wow, ever hear of "freedom?" It's something we used to hold very dear in the USA... now, not so much.

People dont smoke to get high. They smoke because their body chemistry demands that the lower dopamine levels be raised by the substatute "nicotine"

Partly true, partly false. The chemicals in tobacco plus the oxygen depravation provided by a smoke makes for a very pleasant light headed feeling when you enjoy that first trip to flavor country right after waking up in the morning!

I can understand a little of the philosphy here in Canada. We have public healthcare so iys fair to say that if you smoke you will cause the taxpayer money. But in America you guys have private healthcare you already ready pay a tax in your cost of healthcare if you smoke.

Agree 100%. Socialized healthcare is crap. Of course, I also have to ask if you in Canada also charge special health care taxes for roller blading, fast food, risky sex, driving, walking, breathing, hell... everything in life carries risks and anything with risks might cost the taxpayers $$$ with socialized medicine. One more excellent reason why the US must NEVER travel down that road!

How about you just stop profiting from a drug that is more addictive than heroine and availible 24 hours a day in any city.

How about you and all other non-smokers mind your own damn business? I cannot argue the benefits and justification of banning smoking in enclosed public areas, I cannot argue the benefits of funding smoking cessation programs, but I sure as hell can argue that overtaxation used as a weapon of behvaiorial control is bullcrap. I also can argue strongly that this is a free country and NOBODY who smokes today can say they aren't fully aware of the risks and dangers of smoking and keep a straight face while saying so. My body, my choice... (no, choice isn't just for the women's convenience in the USA, either.)

Fist off I am a smoker (pack a day) second I dont think they should be taxed I was just comparing the fact. That if you cant buy weed why can you buy tobacco
OH and here you go www.media-awareness.ca...

And one other thing in reference to getting high
People dont use tobacco to get drunk or stoned. The fact that you get a light head with the first smoke of the morning is a moot point . You wouldnt buy cigarettes from a drug dealer go home and all messed up with your light head.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I guess I am the only person here who has gotten the last laugh???

I converted over to the electronic cigarette about a month ago. Cost $110 to get started, included 10 (refillable) cartridges, 2 batteries, 1 atomizer and the charging apparatus.

A bottle of "smoke juice" costs $10 and lasts me 2 weeks

I inhale only nicotine in a water vapor, no smoke.

And, it has made a huge difference!! I smell things better, taste things better, my lungs are clearing out the crap in them & I still feed the nicotine addiction.

Plus, because there is no actual smoke, I can use my electronic cigarette in the workplace and even on an airplane.

It has paid for itself already since I easily went through a $50 carton in a week.

You all should check into them, a simple google search will bring up LOTS of places that sell them.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
I use rolling tobacco for the very reason that cigarettes,even before have always been far too expensive imo.Ok i may look like an old man with my golden virginia but saves alot of pennies.As for my health,there are things in everyday life people seem to forget that damage your health just as severely yet the extremist anti-smokers moan and bitch about tobacco.It's absurd.90% of the time they are mindless drones that i wouldn't give the time of day to anyway.

I have rolled Golden for about 12 years and it's the best.
I just love these rabid non smokers, what a shock when they realise they are gonna die of something, no matter what.
I'm planning to sue the Govt. here in the the UK when I'm 65 (12 years to go ), because I have made no provision whatsoever for my old age funds.
They have been telling me that "SMOKING KILLS" on every pack for the last 20 years, so they were misleading me.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

i've tried one of those and it just didn't feel right. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and i just sent it back after the trial ended.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

Where do you live? I have not found a single seller of electronic cigarettes that allows a "trial" Which is why I waited for my local smoke shop to carry them.

Smoke juice comes in different flavors, so just because you didn't like how the prefilled cartridge tasted shouldn't have been enough reason to give up completely

edit to correct should to shouldn't

[edit on 10/4/09 by redhatty]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

it was some online thing my room mate found and i honest to god cant remember it for the life of me. It was something like e-smoke or e-cig. something like that.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join