It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran wants to by uranium for, guess what?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Ahmadinejad’s Nuclear Offer

The Iranian president discusses his proposal to buy enriched uranium from the United States, his continued denial of the Holocaust, and Tehran's detention of journalist Maziar Bahari.

Full article here.
www.newsweek.com...

Has the world gone nuts?

He wants to buy enriched uranium for the purpose of making fissile material.

The bomb.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

he wants to buy it from the US. that's comedy at its finest

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
First they announce a new reactor today, Now they want this?!

I think we are being led into WWIII. China and Russia are using Iran as the pre text. I think the two are ready to get it on with us.

[edit on 9/25/2009 by Chaos Lord]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

The bigger story might have been, "US SELLS enriched uranium to Iran".

I wouldn't put it past the government.

Mebbe it's for a "baby formula" factory.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Chaos Lord

.... Rumour has it that the only reason the U.S. refused to cut a deal is because Iran insisted on paying in goats.

The thought of nuclear materials in the hands of such a primitive country frightens me. Were talking about a country that carrys out death sentences for crimes against chastity.

The only way their getting Uranium is through a nuclear bomb strike. bastards.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chaos Lord
First they announce a new reactor today, Now they want this?!

I think we are being led into WWIII. China and Russia are using Iran as the pre text. I think the two are ready to get it on with us.

[edit on 9/25/2009 by Chaos Lord]

If the S hasn't hit the fan, I can guess that it is filling plenty of pants in DC today. . .

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
reply to post by Chaos Lord

.... Rumour has it that the only reason the U.S. refused to cut a deal is because Iran insisted on paying in goats.

The thought of nuclear materials in the hands of such a primitive country frightens me. Were talking about a country that carrys out death sentences for crimes against chastity.

The only way their getting Uranium is through a nuclear bomb strike. bastards.

Glad to see you have bought the hype and propaganda in such huge quantities. Reactions like this remind me why the world is in the state it is right now.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

he wants to buy it from the US. that's comedy at its finest

Laugh all you want, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some kind of exchange can be made with Iran, a negotiated exchange with the Obama administration.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I like how they roped in the continued denial of the holocaust in there.

That relates to the article how?

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a portion of the interview

Can you elaborate on what you just said? You said that in Geneva you will agree to buy enriched nuclear fuel? Is that correct? From the United States?
We have a reactor in Tehran that produces nuclear medicine based on radioactive technologies. It requires enriched material to the grade of 19.75 percent. We are prepared to purchase this material. We are prepared for our nuclear experts to sit down and discuss areas of nuclear cooperation towards the purchase of material that we need with experts from the other side. To engage in nuclear cooperation as well as to discuss our need to purchase these materials. I think it is a very solid proposal which gives a good opportunity for a start.

But you are enriching uranium in Iran as we speak. Is that correct? The IAEA says you have enough enriched uranium—I believe it is 4.5 percent—to build a crude device. By what you just said, are you suggesting that you are willing to suspend enriching uranium?
I want to correct you: our level of enrichment is currently at 3.5 percent—within a range of 3 to 5 percent. The materials go to nuclear-power plants. They are useless for a bomb. A bomb needs enriched uranium to the grade of 99.7 percent. We believe that nuclear bombs are a wrong thing to have. Do you know how many atomic bombs the United States has?

I do not. Would you be willing to commit to never building nuclear weapons?
We believe that the premise that countries should or should not have nuclear weapons is wrong to begin with. To that end, we have proposed to engage in disarmament discussions. According to reports that we have received, there are about 10,000 nuclear warheads here in the United States. Don't you think that it is hilarious to say that it is potentially dangerous for the whole world if Iran were to possess one nuclear warhead but the fact that the United States possesses thousands of them poses no threat whatsoever? Isn't it hilarious to imagine that you can basically withstand the force of 10,000 nuclear warheads with only one nuclear warhead? The atomic bomb belongs to the previous generation. The time has passed for the ability to use these weapons any longer. Honestly, if they were of any use, the Soviet Union would not have collapsed—it would have used them somehow. They would have helped NATO win the war in Afghanistan [using nuclear weapons]. They would have helped the Zionist regime win in Gaza and in Lebanon. The nuclear bomb is the most antihumanitarian device ever produced in the history of mankind. With respect to the nuclear issue, we have given two concrete proposals for the P5 +1 [the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany] for negotiation—the first is disarmament and the prevention of the proliferation of nuclear weapons. Secondly, we need to pave the way for a collective access to peaceful nuclear technologies through cooperation by all parties. We also believe environmentally, too, that we need to have access to clean energy, secure energy that can be guaranteed. Our position is really clear. We work within the framework of the agency, and we have carried out our obligations so far.

I don't understand how your proposal for purchasing enriched uranium fuel fits in with the overall picture of your nuclear program.
Again, these nuclear materials we are seeking to purchase are for medicinal purposes. The 20 percent material is to produce the drugs we need to cure things. It is a humanitarian issue. They are working on these drugs in Tehran right now. Our reactors are really busy trying to produce these drugs. They have already produced about 20 kinds of different nuclear medicines, but we need to foresee our needs for the next 20 years, and we do need further enriched material. We thought this would be a good start to begin the negotiations.

If you were able to purchase this, what would you give in return?
We would pay money for the material. It is a good start for cooperation and to engage in cooperation. I also said that we would agree to have our nuclear experts sit down and discuss things with nuclear experts from the other side. This would help with confidence and to remove the concerns that are out there on both sides.

Why do you need to have enriched uranium if you don't have a single operating reactor that requires enriched uranium at this moment?
We have a nuclear reactor in Tehran that has been operational for the past 20 or 30 years, I would say—producing medicine. It is still operating. It creates about 20 different kinds of medicine. We have in the past bought the 20 percent enriched uranium from other countries—not from the United States. Now we could buy it from the United States. I think it is a good place to start for cooperating and talking. It is an issue that is humanitarian—it is about medicine.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Oh I was being more comical than anything, ... of course I dont want to nuke them.

However do you feel comfortable of such weapons or materials being in their possession ??

What hype am I buying into exactly ??

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Just an over-all interview with Imanutjob. The part of the interview about uranium comes later.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Just an FYI for anyone who honestly thinks that Iran is telling the truth..

books.nap.edu...

Medical substitutes for medial uses of enriched uranium.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

What hype? Iran was going to buy enriched uranium from the US. I can place even money, that it will not happen now, but the words come straight from the horses. . . mouth.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Oh I was being more comical than anything, ... of course I dont want to nuke them.

However do you feel comfortable of such weapons or materials being in their possession ??

What hype am I buying into exactly ??

I feel alot more comfortable with Iran having them than alot of other nations that either have or are trying to get them. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan come to mind.

As for being comical, sorry, you wouldn't have been the first to say that, and say it seriously.

I thought you were just another person who had bought into the hype that the Iranians were worst people ever...after the Iraqis, that is why they were invaded, but they were after...the Afghan people, true evil incarnate...after the Bosnians, damn they were evil, with their civil warring...after the Iraqis, so evil we had to get them twice...but they don't compare to those damn Soviets, oh those evil commie bastards...and the Vietnamese, oh man they make my skin crawl, they are little satans, we had to stop glaring at the evil commies because them and their hell tunnels showed up, we had to go get them...after we got those evil kraut bastard nazis because one good beatdown and economic handcuffing werent enough (ok, these guys were bad, I will give you that one)...oh the Germans with the pointy hats and mustard gas, I guess they take the cake, super evil, with their spike hats...or were our fellow Americans evil? Well we beat each other up just to make sure, get rid of all the evil so we can go forward from here purified of evil, and find the evil in the world...or was it the British? Hmm...must be the British, afterall, once we beat them up things went super smooth.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

What hype? Iran was going to buy enriched uranium from the US. I can place even money, that it will not happen now, but the words come straight from the horses. . . mouth.

I believe they were going to buy it. Might as well give it a try.

That is not the hype I am talking about. Look down the recent posts list, I would say 25% of the threads have to do with either Iran's "secret" second nuclear site, Iran vs Israel in some form or another, or some other morphed thread hitting on the topics of Iran bad, everyone else good. Objectively read the posts, most people haven't read the article, or are still trying to push the old propaganda that was proven wrong last year. THAT would be the hype I am talking about.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am actually on the fence about this seemingly weird demand. Even Ahmadinejad is not that cheeky. And after digging up on the net, i still cannot decide if it is an attempt of getting more US cooperation , or he is openly teasing Obama and West in general.
The reasons are:
Innocent request theory:
Canadian reactor that produces 2/3rds of isotopes for nuclear medicine is off line until at least spring 2010.
en.wikipedia.org...
It used high enriched uranium (HEU) to produce it.
www.thebulletin.org...
So there might be general need for this in Iran and they want to get it from US both to show peaceful side of their program and to get US involved in it.
Teasing games theory:
Reactor in Canada, mentioned above, uses more then 90 percent enriched Uranium. Not just 20 percent. 20 percent threshold is what separates LEU (low enriched uranium) considered unfit for making nuclear bombs and HEU which can have military purposes. According to wiki 20 percent is enough for creation of "crude ,inneficient weapon".
en.wikipedia.org...
And newer technologies for getting medical isotopes do not need HEU, there is transition to LEU. Actually one of the reasons Canadian reactor is not working , is American demand to shift to LEU.
So - i am on the fence.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
not sure what this means but just found it on twitter

Reuters: Iranian President Ahmadinejad says U.S., Britain and France will regret Friday’s statement about nuclear site. about 2 hours ago from BNO Headquarters

twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Pakistan has nukes.

Just an FYI

[edit on 25-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Pakistan has nukes.

Just an FYI

[edit on 25-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

Oh I know, I was giving an example of one that has them, and one that wants them that we should fear more than Iran. Pakistan would be the one that has them, and Saudi Arabia is the one that wants them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join