It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Implanting false memories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
(very interesting news item)

Study: It's Easy to Plant False Memories
Sun Feb 16, 8:19 PM ET Add Science - AP to My Yahoo!

By JOSEPH B. VERRENGIA, AP Science Writer

DENVER - Remember that wonderful day when Bugs Bunny hugged you at Disneyland? A study presented Sunday shows just how easy it can be to induce false memories in the minds of some people.

More than a third of subjects in the study recalled that theme-park moment � impossible because Bugs is not a Disney character � after a researcher planted the false memory.

story.news.yahoo.com... ry&ncid=624&e=2&cid=624&u=/ap/20030217/ap_on_sc/false_memories

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The CIA has been experimenting (and has since perfected it) with something called EDOM, Electronic Dissolution of Memory, as part of MKUltra for over 20 years. This involves the use of ultra low frequency radio emissions that can be recieved by the human brain (the same wavelengths as the electrochemical processes that take place in the brain).

They have also reportedly perfected it to such a level that such action can be taken remotely to influence a subjects actions.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
pretty creepy. my brother is always swearing that he did or heard certain things that we *know* he did not. It probably has nothing to do with this but its still kind of scary. He even gets angry at us for doing things that he swears we do. We always just tell him he must have dreamed it and then tell him to shut up. He throws these huge tantrums and says that he knows that he did this/we did this/ went there/ etc. ive always thought t hat he had a huge temper [roblem and overreacted to this a little too much. but perhaps he really is remembering something that he thinks happend. eek.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If you look at the psychological literature (particularly of Elizabeth Loftus) you will see that false memories can easily be implanted through completely conversational means.

Then when you start dealing with ultra low frequency electromagnetic radiation and the temporal lobes of the brain, you get into an entirely different area of memory management. I believe one very famous memory implanation researcher (who was involved in mkultra) is a man by the name of Delcato or Decato. If my memory serves me correctly

Canadian Dr. Michael Persinger actually has an experiemental laboratory set-up with a sensory deprivation chamber, where volunteers wear a helmet in which electromagnetic waves are directed through the brain. People report unusual experiences, seeing things that aren't really there, hearing things, sensing a presence in the room. Everything is very controlled.

Persinger's theory is that deep-earth seismic activity causes these magnetic waves to travel to the surface, and influences our brains-- we are particularly vulnerable to fantasy processes while we are asleep (i.e. our brains are in a relaxed state). Therefore, throw in magnetic waves influencing the brain while the brain is already engaged in an UNCONTROLLED fantasy process, maybe some sleep paralysis, and bingo- you have a situation that may be reported as an alien abduction. Persinger has went so far as to track seismic activity and has correlated it (regionally and chronologically) to mass abduction & ufo reports.

Of course, I'm not claiming that abductions and ufo sightings don't happen in reality-- although this may explain some of them.

[Edited on 17-2-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
(very interesting news item)

By JOSEPH B. VERRENGIA, AP Science Writer

DENVER - Remember that wonderful day when Bugs Bunny hugged you at Disneyland? A study presented Sunday shows just how easy it can be to induce false memories in the minds of some people.

More than a third of subjects in the study recalled that theme-park moment 󠩭possible because Bugs is not a Disney character 󠡦ter a researcher planted the false memory.

And the first experiment conducted by Loftus had a 16% success rate.

It is probably not that difficult to implant a memory of something benign that could have happened to any kid. Try implanting memories of continual abuse and other traumatic experiences.

I wonder if any of those in the 1/3 had met a similar character at another of America's many theme parks?

Elizabeth Loftus is a fraud.

Her habitual defense of perpetrators (She had defended over 150 perpetrators prior to joining the FMSF), like Ted Bundy only show that she is not concerned with the truth.

She has herself conceded that her research is "unproven in real-life situations" and that her courtroom dissertations are "premature and highly prejudicial."

According to clinical psychologist Catherine Gould:

"My concern about Elizabeth Loftus is that she has stated in print, and correctly so, that her data tells us nothing about the nature of memory of traumatic events. And yet she has failed to protest the misapplication of her findings by groups who are involved in discrediting the accounts survivors are giving of their traumatic history. I believe that Dr. Loftus, like other psychologists, has an ethical responsibility to do everything possible to ensure that her research findings are interpreted and applied accurately, and are not manipulated to serve the political agenda of groups like the False Memory Syndrome Foundation. I question whether she has met this ethical responsibility."

Her connection to the False Memory Syndrome Foundation only deepens my suspicion of her.

The FMSF doen't seem to have much information about it's founder any more.

Ralph Underwager quickly stepped down after this interview in 'Paidika':

Paedophiles can boldly and courageously affirm what they choose. They can say that what they want is to find the best way to love. . . . Paedophiles can make the assertion that the pursuit of intimacy and love is what they choose. With boldness they can say, "I believe this is in fact part of God's will. --Dr. Ralph Underwager in this interview with Paidika, a European pro-pedophile publication.
Link

Another Underwager doozey is the statement he made in Britain in 1994:

"Scientific evidence" proved, 60% of all women molested believed the experience was "good for them".

In fact, as far as the FMSF staff list goes, I can only find Pamela Freyd's name.

I wonder if Hollida Wakefield (Underwagers wife) is still on the board?

I wonder just who the FMSF are protecting?

This is not to say that I don't believe that false/screen memories can be implanted. Just not in the conversational way Loftus believes it can.

[edit on 29/11/2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I do believe that memory is the only way to know the truth. Also it is the only way to predict the future.

Churches and religions have been affecting memories for centuries. For example; In the beginning..., God spoke to so and so..., God loved so and so..., etc...
And for the Mormons; we were together before we were born, you made the decision before you were born, etc...

I believe that if you can control what people think was and/or is true than it affects the decisions they will make in the future.

Oh, and by the way. I knew that you really wanted a Coke the other day .l.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
They were gonna start doing this to help people with eating disorders. Like implanting bad memories of eating a chocolate cake or smoking or whatever. Kinda freaky as far as Im concerned.

Professor of psychology at the University of Michigan,
Dr. James McConnell admits already in 1966 that they have the techniques to control behavior in human beings on a larger scale:
"I teach a course called 'The Psychology of Influence', and I begin it by stating categorically that the time has come when, if you give me any normal human being and a couple of weeks, I can change his behavior from what it is not to whatever you want it to be, it is physically possible. I can turn him from a Christian into a communist and vice versa. Look, we can do these things. We can control behavior."

new topics

top topics

join