It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran loses its only AWACS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Iran loses its only AWACS

www.debka.com

The disaster was a serious blow for Iran, leaving its air force and air and missile defenses without "electronic eyes" for surveillance of the skies around its borders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.defensenews.com

[edit on 23-9-2009 by templar knight]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There are two reports of Iran losing its only AWACS aircraft in an air display. It crashed with another military aircraft.

While (as always) sympathy goes to the airmen and families, the timing cannot be better for this "accident".

Suspiciously I have not been able to find any other reports from mainstream news

www.debka.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Aviation safety network actually shows that there was crash in Iran:
aviation-safety.net...
There are no details, but if it was indeed AWACS (not sure that it was Iranian only one though) - it is a LITTLE suspicious timing.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Just another source to corroborate the story

Source

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have a sneaking suspicion this is some kind of Western propaganda. One plane goes down and now all of a sudden they're so much more vulnerable? Sounds like a political maneuver to drum up support for a sudden invasion to me.

I say give them time to build another one, or 10 more. And stay the hell out of there. Israel.

Screw Israel.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

as I read your source, it seems one is still available.
At least, the article only accounts for 2 of the 3 destroyed.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There are no coincidences. Everything happens for a reason.

A lot easier to do what you want to someone when they can't see it.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This story surprised me.

First of all, Iran had an AWACS? Wow, this is impressive. Good for them. I didn't think they had it in them.

Second, they crashed it. That's like building one of the most impressive ships ever built and crashing it against an ICEBURG. Oh the humanity(got to stick the Hindenburg reference in there too).

It's always when you are the most confident that things like this happen.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Airplanes crash all the time. I don't see much in the way of suspicion here people. Besides just exactly how old was that plane? I'm willing to bet it's a few years on.

Edit to add: I just read it was a home grown product.
Source

The Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force operated a single Simorgh, a former Iraqi Air Force Adnan. The Adnan AWACS was in turn a modification of a Soviet-built Ilyushin Il-76 transport.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Maybe nothing suspicious about the crash itself, but what the media here in the West wants to do with it is another story.

You know they employ all kinds of clever psychological tactics in the news, right? Without making you aware of it?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
You know they employ all kinds of clever psychological tactics in the news, right? Without making you aware of it?

Who's watching the news?
I'm relying on you lovely people for my information.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So Iran lost their only AWACS. What a tragedy.

*yawn*

Sucks to be them.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
So Iran lost their only AWACS. What a tragedy.

*yawn*

Sucks to be them.

Of course you understand the significance, if true?

Iran will now have no early warning capability if Israel launches an air/missile attack.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by bsbray11

Who's watching the news?
I'm relying on you lovely people for my information.

Mass media extends beyond your TV, if only through the people who sit around and watch it mindlessly. Take this whole Iran/Israel situation, for example. ATS didn't come up with it.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
It's really hard to believe Iran is defenseless and blind by losing some lonely survellance plane. What about satellites and radar? what about friends of Iran etc.? I think it's more likely Russia said they wouldn't back them or whatever. Besides, who can trust anything that comes out of Iran?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Of course you understand the significance, if true?

Iran will now have no early warning capability if Israel launches an air/missile attack.

And I'm suppose to lose sleep over that? Big deal.

Think of it this way: If they were relying on only that single 4th grade science project that they called an AWACS to protect their entire country, they had problems before that aircraft fell out of the sky.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't suppose by any chance that this could be just a freak accident, like so many others at air shows? The two planes collided, according to the story at

www.defensenews.com...

The Simorgh collided with one of the Air Force's Northrop F-5E Tiger II fighters over the area of the Imam Khomeyni Shrine, southern Tehran. According to eyewitnesses, the crash occurred immediately after the parade. Apparently, no mayday call was issued.

Both aircraft crashed in flames. Initial reports indicate that seven crewmembers were killed in the crash.

Well of COURSE it couldn't be just a freak accident! When it comes to Iran, just because there is a major conspiracy to falsely incriminate them over a non-existent nuclear weapons program, it also means that nothing that happens there anymore can be an accident. Nope, accidents not allowed anymore in Iran!

/sarcasm

But ok, now the flipflop opinion.
What is ironic here is the fact that of all the planes to collide in an airshow, how in the world does an AWACS, equipped with all that technology even get itself into such a mess??? A collision with an AWACS? That does seem to defy the odds pretty darn good. The AWACS would have any airborne object tightly tracked on its radars, and it would seem that it should be able to take a countermeasure to avoid the collision. Perhaps the issue that all planes were in very close to each other didn't allow the time for any reaction.

In any case, it is a bit strange.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
How the hell does a fighter hit a freakin' AWACS, during a demo flight yet? That's a special kinda retard right there.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Lot of confusion here, I have another report that states.

Facts are now in concerning the tragedy at the 2009 Sacred Defense air show in Tehran. On the 22nd of September, at 09:02 hours, IRIAF Il-76MD "Simorgh" (Baghdad-2/Adnan-2, No. 1 with 5-8208 serial) crashed near Varamin City, killing all seven crew members aboard. At 09:02 hrs, the pilot radioed to Mehrabad control tower that the aircraft's engines under the right wing had caught fire. The tower signaled the aircraft to attempt an emergency landing on 29LeftRWY. Upon final approach, due to the aircraft's undesirable angle of attack, the over-fuselage rotordome detached and collided into the vertical tail sections. After that, the aircraft suffered a catastrophic crash.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
There is always the possibility that they have five more of them in hangars somewhere, and intentionally did this to feign weakness in the hopes that Israel (or the U.S.) would use this opportunity to attack.

If they were attacked in the aftermath of an accident like this it would only help them to gain support, and anyone who outright hates Israel, (or us) or is even just pretending to be their friends *coughschinarussiacoughs* could jump on the bandwagon and use it as an excuse to attack. They would only be coming to the aid of another nation who was brutally attacked, not provoking a war themselves.

Any military commander who would act on information like this alone, thinking that it was some kind of ace in the hole, is borderline mentally retarted and needs to be put out to pasture.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by ashamedamerican]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join