It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sydney turns red: dust storm blankets city

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

Someone here yesterday was saying there was a dust storm where they lived- they posted in the Melbourne earthquake thread

Just saw this comment and then looked online to see if I could find any more news about the quakes - I had no idea that happened while all this other odd weather related phenomena was going on.

Here's the thread: Earth Quake In Melbourne Australia

And here's an article about the quakes: Twin tremors rattle suburbs south east of Melbourne

The last time quakes happened in Melbourne was right after a large group of dolphins beached themselves in Tasmania...anyway, those quakes accompanied with Sydney's worst ever dust storm and all the unbelievable weather in SA are odd synchronicities.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
yeah its not as red in brisbane but its still there, quite dark out side

heres a pic i just took

i38.tinypic.com...

hasnt peaked yet apparently, been pretty windy last day

lots of weather activity lately

quakes in indonesia, melbourne, flooding in adelaide and melbourne, dust storms in qld and nsw..

[edit on 22/9/09 by dallas18]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Please keep us updated, for some reason this isn't headline news on any of the sites I regularly visit. I would think this would be more newsworthy here in the U.S., I mean how often does this type of thing happen? I've heard about dust storms but in my lifetime I have never seen pictures like this. Really, it's like Australia moved to Mars.

Watch, they'll make a movie out of this.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
go here

you can see many good photos of this event

here is another i just took i37.tinypic.com...
has picked up heaps very dark and eerie!

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

AUSTRALIAN weather officials are warning of another severe storm to sweep across the southern and eastern parts of the country tomorrow and Friday with the potential to create another dust storm. A dust storm blanketed Sydney today, disrupting transport, placing health authorities on alert for widespread respiratory illness and stripping thousands of tonnes of topsoil off Australia's main farmlands. The next storm could again whip up a dust storm, cause damage with gale-force winds and send temperatures plummeting enough to dump snow on Australia's alpine region. Scientists say if El Nino weather conditions continued in the western Pacific, then Australia's dry conditions and more dust storms can be expected.

www.news.com.au...

more to come apparently!

there is also a health warning to stay indoors, i was just out there for 5 minutes and now i have a head ache

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Some pics from my area (Parramatta, Sydney)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/199a7fe05be7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc85c898e1a9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf3007d2ea02.jpg[/atsimg]

(also posted on OzWeatherman's thread - www.abovetopsecret.com... - along with some other pics...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Some pics from my area (Parramatta, Sydney)

Cool, that's exactly where I am.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

Really? huh, small world huh. Nice to know i'm not alone in this area should the SHTF haha

Always thought you were based in the States for some reason.

I'm in Granville to be specific. Got some good local pics/clips of the craziness this mornin if you want any

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Think I was the one who mentioned the dust storm in the earthquake thread.
Although I'm not from there, I heard on the radio the day before that Canberra copped a dust storm and was covered in red dust too.

I'm in the Parramatta area, small world.

And it looked like scene from Silent Hill but instead of grey, it was red when I woke up this morning. Very eerie.

Here in Parra, it's currently clear skies and there is a nice breeze blowing with clean fresh air. Probably best to get out and enjoy it while it lasts as there is another storm predicted later with more dust.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

ANOTHER ATSer from Para area?? whoa, world gets smaller haha

Yeah its a beautiful day outside now. Perfect weather but pretty windy. STRANGE stuff...

SO you heard MORE dust on the way? Really?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yeah Brisbane is looking like Sydney was a few hours ago

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Epsillion70]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is odd...im in eastern canada and the sky was red/orange this morning...it was beautiful...

But I guess you beat us to it... it's better in australia.

So...it was like an orange night during the day or what?

This is SOOOOOO COOL.

I noticed on some pictures that some people were still doing their jogging...

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Oddly enough, there could possibly be a sunspot connection with all this weird weather we've had recently. Over the last day and a half, two new sunspots have appeared, the first appearing right before the odd weather began in South Australia, and the second appearing as the wind swept over the eastern half of the continent bringing the worst dust storm in recorded history as well as twin quakes occurring in Melbourne.

Below is an image from September 21 at 12:53.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9efbbafadda5.jpg[/atsimg]

And here is the latest image from September 22 at 23:47.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/63e99cf13104.jpg[/atsimg]

Latest series of images:
sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov...

As you can see, two notable spots appear around the time all this anomalous weather is occurring, and all while we're in this eerie all-quiet sunspot period.

I put together a really quick video showing the progress between the two images above using the images downloaded from the SOHO site.

The SOHO times are recorded as GMT, so the images are spot-on in correlation with the weird weather.

[edit on 22/9/09 by Evasius]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
This is odd...im in eastern canada and the sky was red/orange this morning...it was beautiful...

But I guess you beat us to it... it's better in australia.

So...it was like an orange night during the day or what?

This is SOOOOOO COOL.

I noticed on some pictures that some people were still doing their jogging...

[edit on 22-9-2009 by Vitchilo]

Yeah my pics I posted were taken at midday?
Hey it aint cool though when all you do is breathe it in.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Yeah apparently. Heard on 2GBs weather report that gale force winds and another potential dust storm is on the way later on tonight.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i38.tinypic.com...

satelite image from news.com.au courtesy of nasa

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm up here on the NSW/QLD border and it is SO dusty and windy- it's a fog- not red like down south but definetly has a red tinge to it- you can't see anything

Probably going to hear about a few car accidents I'd say

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Wow, add one more to the Parramatta mob. It seems this area is a hotbed of conspiracy theorists!

I work silly hours in St Leonards & had the pleasure of seeing the blood-red sky at it's worst (must've been around 5:30am or so). Even inside a sealed, air-conditioned office you could still smell the dust in the air. At it's worst, anything further than 30m away (if that) just disappeared in this thick red haze. Quite a few of us were looking around trying to work out where the fire was coming from, very surreal. Traffic was a bit chaotic, some people didn't seem quite sure whether to drive slow, speed up or take the next left hehe.

It seems to have cleared for the time being, but inside my unit is covered in the sort of dust you expect to see in the outback (very very fine, red & sticks to everything). I wouldn't be suprised if they try to implement some form of water restriction to cope with basically everyone on the eastern side of the country finding themselves with filthy homes/cars/boats/clothes that need washing.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
We've got it too, 100km north of Brissy. Hot gusty winds too. Thankfully the fires are supposedly under control. Imagine fighting them in these conditions!

BTW Ozweatherman is in Woomera, no where near Darwin. It's way down south towards Adelaide. Darwin is in a different state and right up north.

I remembert something about a low system which is further north than usual which has an associated cold front and trough associated with it which is picking up the top levels of soil in the desert regions of south and central Australia and sending it eastward. I hope it blows over soon. It seems to be taking ages to pass when compared to for example the Victorian dust storm in the early '80's. Please correct me if wrong OzWM.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
bright blue skies, no apocolypse peeps, It was fun (not) whilst it lasted!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join