It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bleeding Calf Syndrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Veterinary scientists are investigating a mystery disease which is killing young cattle across Scotland.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I tried looking this up online but could find out very little about it.

Is this a new outbreak of something to contend with ?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The cause of the bleeding syndrome is unknown, but poisoning, genetic abnormalities and drug reactions are being considered.

Most calves are growing well before showing clinical signs. However, limited studies suggest calves were abnormal from birth. While some calves can recover, many die suddenly, before bleeding is seen.

Source

I think it's just a natural process of preventing over-population.

2nd line

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by suicide__x

There is no "over-population" of beef cattle raised for a specific purpose. There is regulation about how many head of cattle are raised per acre of grazing land, so the "density" of the cattle hasn't changed.

Your idea may be solid though. Just the "natural" part could be wrong!! What if this is something introduced to the cattle, that is not supposed to harm them, but is supposed to harm the people that later consume the beef?

Population control indeed!

I have never really believed in population control conspiracies, but lately, I don't know what to believe!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I didn't consider it from that angle. Very interesting theory - also very possible. I may stay clear of beef for a while - I live in Scotland!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Funny this story should show up today, (from my perspective). Looking for something to read last night I picked up a James Herriot book. One of the chapters concerned a farmer's young calves dying off, one after the other, with no apparant reason why. One day the baffled vets and the farmer stood watching some calves drink from buckets of milk when a black concave crust was spotted floating in the milk.
To cut a long story short - The farmer had bought some cheaper, alternative concoction to rub on the wounds where the calves horns were taken off. It helped the wounds to heal but taken orally it was deadly. The crusts that formed were falling off into the buckets of milk, tainting the milk and killing the calves.

I hope the story in the news today is a simple poisoning case like James Herriots story. A new cattle disease would be much worse. Think I'll lay off the scotch beef for a bit too though. Perth is only up the road.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
it certainly sounds like a case of poisoning there are plenty of plants that are toxic to animals or eve a case of deliberate poisoning.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
All these genetically modified plants that they are feeding the animals can do that.
There is one that causes insects internal injuries to insects eating the plant. So you see, it is likely doing the same thing to animal. NO mystery at all. They just have to Wake UP and see what is going on there.

BTW I read that there has been a 400% increase in hopitalizations for food allergies in Britain since the introduction of genetically modifed food.

top topics

join