It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrating Muslim Eid today as an Ambassador of Goodwill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Yes my friend that sure sounds like Bob. He always kept asking me to turn down my drums and we always kept telling they aren't miked how can we?

He'd say well couldn't you play softer, but the reality is that we packed the place every time we played and he was always trying to book us when ever we were actually in the state.

That was a lot of years ago, almost 20, I had lied to the band and left home at 15 to travel with them all over the states and Canada using my hand altered original Birth Certificate as identification and proof I was an adult.

Had I only known I could have used it to become President of the United States too! Ouch I did not really say that.

The great thing about music is it cuts across all cultures, and walks of life and stratas and unites all people in something they enjoy universally.

We all universally love the same things though, a good meal, a dry roof over our heads, a warm place to sleep, the laughter of children, feeling safe and secure.

Why would we deny those simple basic things from anyone for any reason?

It makes no sense at all.

I would love to hear your band, feel free to send me a u2u with the link.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Wow that was some great information there Storm Dancer, could it be that the world breaking out in peace is something of biblical proportion and intent?

What indeed are we waiting for then if all it really takes is us all grabbing and olive branch or palm frond and extending a hand and voice that says I want peace.

Alright who ever really doesn't want peace raise your hands?

You know who you are...we are going to bombard you with hugs and well wishes and love so be prepared and be brave, it might hurt a little at first, you might not really feel you deserve them but in time you will grow just as accustomed to them as the rest of us!

Don't be afraid.

Thanks for posting Storm Dancer!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Very, VERY cool thing to do!

What's really great is that I bet you felt fantastic even though your objective was to bring joy to someone else. Amazing how that works.

Good job!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

So true about the drum thing!
We do mike the drums now(overheads) and have never sounded better, ironically.
We trigger them also and get such a big fat nice sound!
Sorry to derail, but it is nice to travel down memory lane.
I too lied when I was 18 and started promptly playing a nevada circut!
Talk about cutting your teeth!
I didnt know prostitution is legal there!

I knew I was in another world when I seen the drive thru liquor stores!
Seems kinda crazy to me.....DRIVE through?
I remember playing so long the sun would be coming up when we got done!
Talk about earning your money!
I am sure we could lay down some killer tracks you and I!
May our talent always be used to help others! Amen.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Very, VERY cool thing to do!

What's really great is that I bet you felt fantastic even though your objective was to bring joy to someone else. Amazing how that works.

Good job!

My friend I must confess I feel absolutely great today. The Orthodox Jews have been smiling all day as I wish them Happy New Years as I have ridden my bicycle back and forth to deliver Eid gifts and to shop for them, and the Muslims, well, it was a very surprising and very welcome thing for them and by them to see someone who had no vested interest show an Interest.

They were all happy Hebrew and Muslim alike that I was respecting and sharing with them the things that are important to them by celebrating it with them.

It makes everyone happy, and well it was such a truly simple and joyous thing to do.

Thanks for sharing friend.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I tell you it wasn't easy going from playing my drums in my Bedroom at home to playing 5 hour long sets a night. My blisters had blisters but I discovered the old addage of no pain, no gain, when it turned out there were always pretty nurses in the audiences concerned about my blisters on my blisters!

I still play now and then and have a few videos on Youtube from my last band but alas the Lead Guitar player's wife of 25 years left him and rather than sing the blues he just wants to feel it.

The great thing about playing music as a performer is you learn to communicate without words to crowds and give them energy and feed off that energy in return.

Religions are very much like that too. The exchange between the Priestly class and the laity as they commune spiritually creating an energy all their own.

It's funny that each different religion does this out of love for one another and their G-d but they get so side tracked about just what is the right or proper way to do that, it ends up creating conflict instead of peace.

It's up to us all to learn to respect these things enough, even if we don't participate in them or see a value in them to make sure everyone who does feels secure that it will always be safe for them to believe what they believe so it never has to boil down to a 'it's us or them' type of confrontational moment.

No one Hebrew or Muslim showed any inclination to trying to convert me today, they were all just happy I said or did something respectful, and considerate and cared.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Very cool how you describe music as a way to bridge the gaps!
Often and especially words do not say enough.
Sometimes it goes much deeper!

Indeed with all the different languages used by different peoples,
maybe music is one of the only ways to cross this divide and
overcome the division....
Good job and yours is a good heart!
I am honored to know it!

[edit on 20-9-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Thank you my friend, music is one of the most important universal areas of common ground we all share. Though styles and rythems vary from culture to culture, genre to genre, no society no matter how remote or small has ever not developed some form of music.

The ancient Creeks celebrate the body and athletics as a form of common ground that we began doing so again in the modern world at the end of the 18th Centurty with the first Modern International Olympic Games.

Sports is another area of common ground that all people, cultures and societies the world over share.

Musicians like athletes like religions often do compete with and against one another for supremacy, accolades, money and fame...

Sadly sometimes competition between common elements leads to violence and another game that for far too long, far too many people have either enjoyed playing or been convinced they have no choice but to play and that game is a very different one called WAR.

Everyone looses in war except the people who profit of the building, and development and distribution of the weapons people are given, yes given, to fight wars.

We are collectively as a society taxed on our labors and made to pay for them, to buy them collectively just so that they can be given to people often who are forced to play the game of war.

We have so many positive things in common to build on, to celebrate, to share like good music, civilized athletic and scientific competitions, art, literature, medicine, food and fashions, yet for some reason those very same people who tax us, and make and develop and distribute those weapons and grow rich off of it, like and prefer to highlight our differences, to exloit our differences, to instill fear in us over our differences, instead of reassuring us and building on our common and universale bonds, and fostering trust and hope and peace.

It is not Islam, or Christianity, or Judaism, or Hinduism or even Communism that represents the true threat to peace, it is just a relatively very small handful of very rich men who have faith in none of these things but place their faith in their ability to exploit our differences and get us to fight, to the death over them.

Those few people are the real enemy of peace, the merchants of death who profit off of war, and need war to make their profits.

They are the only ones in all reality who wish to rule the world at others expense, and all too sadly they do rule the world at every peace loving human beings expense.

We must learn to say no to these few people, we must learn it is they who give us war, because it is they who can not afford peace because they get no profit or controll out of it.

It is time we threw off our bondage and alleigance to these merchants of death who will wrap themselves in flags and scriptures and robes and costumes to exploit our differences. To make us fear those who are different.

In reality what I discovered today the only thing that is truly different was their COOKIES!

And they tasted really good.

I do not need protected from these foreign cookies, in fact I would like a dozen!

Some food for thought to go along with the cookies for my stomach!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Fantabulistic!
If I could give you more than one star, I would!
However you have my undying respect nonetheless!
And to think I thought we were venturing off topic!

Universal music could be a solution in and of itself,
this could be a new way to enjoy peace and giving!
Kudos to you endlessly!
You a rich soul and I dont mean monetarily!

You are exactly correct unfortunately.
It sux that so few(or one) can make it so miserable for so many,
or vise versa....
all out of fear of a difference or two.

Edit to change fantastic, (it didn't quite cover it)

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Thank you my kind and wise friend. Music is a gift I might add that keeps on giving and giving as people can treasure and play the songs over and over again. Composers and musicians like Mozart and Beethoven are still delighting audiences today with their music centuries after having passed from the earth!

The pen is truly mightier than the sword, and the pen's often most mightiest use is through composing music which evokes the universal feelings of love and peace and tranquility.

It's no surprise then that it's a pen that's used to write a magazine.

What else is called a magazine? Powder kegs, ammunition clips and weapons depots.

The pen is perhaps the createst weapon and it can be used to write words of hate and division to play to people's prejudices and fears and expound on them and exploit them by promoting ignorance...

Or it can be used to write words of peace, love, good temperence and understanding.

It's why we must never allow our right to free speech to be infringed upon by political correctness or national security or religious sensibilities.

Sadly most of the worlds great luminaries use their pens to write stories that justify and quantify war, destruction, hatred, jealousy, fear, bigotry and intollerance. Very often by falsely claiming it's wise and prudent and noble, even patriotic to think and feel such things.

More people need to use their pens and words as weapons of peace and truth and love and understanding to break down the walls of ignorance and misinformation we are fed an almost constant, daily and steady diet of.

Writing and talking about the things we have in common, sharing the things we have in common, respecting each other, and learning to trust one another by extending trust to one another defeats those who would profit off of war, and hate, and greed, and intollerance of others and those they can't control through a system that requires people to conform to a standarized blueprint.

We must speak quietly because more people will strain to hear a whisper than a shout, but we must speak constantly to peace and celebrating differences and learning and overcoming ignorance and the manipulations by those whose pens would exploit our ignorance and fears for nefarious ends.

As more and more people do this, and recognize the peace and good feelings and happiness and true safety and security that comes from making friends and not enemies, it can and will catch on like a wild fire from one heart to another, from one mind to another, from on soul to the other, and the ills of the world can be banished one at a time for good, the vilest amongst those ills, murder and war.

Peace is the only answer, war is never the answer.

Thanks my friend.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Peace is the only answer, war is never the answer.

More wise words were never spoken!
It(war)is only a solution, and a bad one at that.
Thank you many times over for your thoughts and words!
I want to live in your world!

I actually feel like I am supposed to be here!
For I have many experiences and maybe some advice to share.
However I enjoy other's words, including yours because they
enrich my existence and broaden my perspective!

I am here for a reason.
I know something put me here to share and learn, honestly.
I really should have died long ago, but for G-d's love ONLY am I still here.
I realize I have alot of people to take care of.
I struggle with this plan for me, but try my best. It is my own test.
I am part of larger plan is all. Only my own ego/fear holds me back.

I do not mean to get all spiritual here to ignite the flame(r)s, but I wish
more would or could experience the internal/eternal peace and salvation that I have found.
It is intensely personal though and should be left as such.
The world sorely need this peace!

We will have it one day my friend Proto! I promise.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
You two realize that after I read about Your jam days, and how music unites, it struck a chord.

Ever notice how the govt. is constantly dividing us on every petty issue imaginable, but then turns around, and plays some Patriot song to unite for one of their deviant crusades?

Truly shows the double edged sword working away. Music can be used to universally solidify for peace, love, and harmony, or in the Elite's case it is used to unite for fury, and hate..............huh, go figure.

I'm proud to know You proto; You've done a great thing for Eid

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Good call Sancho!
And way to go noticing that.
I see what you mean.
Kinda scary actually.
I enjoy watching the boston pops on the fourth of july.
But it does kinda feel like a set up in a way.
A way to gloat and enjoy our isolationism and nationalism,
(banging on the war drum)
when maybe we should be reaching out to others for peace....

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

A very excellent point friend Sancho and one worthy of discussing further. Music is in essence a resonating vibrancy, striking a skin or wire or putting pressure on a reed that picks up the ambient projection of a brass, metal or wooden tube creates a harmonic vibration that while highly audible actually has a frequency that penetrates the cerebral cortex and vibrates it and can induce powerful emotional feelings and states.

Let’s look at one of the nation's most enduring mysteries that baffle most singers and that is the Star Spangled Banner our national anthem, it is incredibly hard to sing almost in a near impossible way. Even a singer with an impressive 3 or 4 octave range with their voice finds it a very daunting and challenging song to sing to match the keys and tempos of the instrumental accompaniment and the phrasing.

Critics argue there are much more beautiful melodies like America the Beautiful that are also much easier to sing and perform. So why the Star Spangled Banner? Its chords and notes resonate in such a way in the cerebral cortex that will almost always illicit the same emotional response in who ever hears it. Music can be used as a form of mind control in that fashion.

It is not the actual words that affect this but the vibrations and how they affect your nervous system.

The ringing of bells, the calling to prayers, and my favorite ‘It’s Dinnnnnneerrrrrr timmmmeeee’ all create emotional responses based on tone and vibration and how it effects the nervous system.

Music can soothe the savage beast or turn him into a hungry and voracious murderous monster.

Music is very powerful in fact more powerful than words. There is one Hindu sect that actually believes the Universe was created from a single perfect note (This is true) and can be collapsed back on itself with another (also true) they actually devote their lives to finding the second note (this is true) and have yet to strike as of….THIS POST HAS BEEN INTERUPTED BY THE EMERGENCY BROADCAST POSTING SYSTEM. THIS IS NOT A TEST THE UNIVERSE IS IMPLODING BACK ON ITSELF IF YOU ARE IN THE UNIVERSE PLEASE TAKE SHELTER, YOU WILL BE ADVISED WHEN THE UNIVERSE EXPANDS AGAIN, PLEASE REMAIN CALM AND IN THIS UNIVERSE, REMEMBER TO UNPLUG ALL APLIANCES AND TURN OFF GAS MAINS AT THEIR SOURCE, ADDITIONAL ADVISORIES WILL BE MADE AS INFORMATION COMES AVAILABLE THIS HAS BEEN A MESSAGE FROM THE EMERGENCY BROADCASTING POSTING SYSTEM

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

More beautiful words my friend, and we all do live in the same world defined loosely by many different perspectives and perceptions.

Many rivers one sea!

Some flow smoothly and calmly even lazily, some are rapid and violent and hurried yet they all eventually drain into the same sea.

War in many ways is about blocking paths, damning the flows, altering courses and even reversing the flow to that serene and eternal sea.

Yet the tides of change eventually wipe things clean, and reshapes the world in that process.

That's what is happening now, the tides are changing and many people even the Powers that Be fear what that means and means to them.

They would like to control it for the sake of control, they believe we need Masters and them as Masters but the truth is if we can live in peace and respect one another as unique and sovereign entitities then we need no Masters at all, only to Master ourselves and do no harm.

It is a world we can create, we just can't create it being run in circles and played against one another.

We can get there my friend, and I would wager too that everything that has touched you in life has been for an important reason so that you can help share and teach and most of all heal.

For we have all been injured in ways by the lies and deceptions that have been heaped upon us for so long. For the things that exist in plenty that we are denied and forced to jump through hoops not of our choosing for.

It will take time to heal the people of the planet to teach them to love everyday not just on Holidays to forgive one another for things both imagined and real but it can be done and it should be done and eventually it will be done because that is what evolution is all about, growing and learning, learning to love, learning to love wisely and learning to be compassionate.

Our governments and institutions spend most of their effort and time, and our money and labor convincing us we are defecient and flawed that there is something wrong with us spiritually, intellectually, and morally and that we collectively must feel some shame and burden for this and perpetrate continually the very things that keep us spiritually, intellectually and morally defeated and bound to them as slaves and serfs and supplicants.

We need to elevate ourselves and how could we accomplish that by stamping others down and trying to stamp them out and ourselves in the process.

We must work for peace and to end this system of scarcity and deprevation when in reality there is no scarcity of anything but common sense, love and the courage to stand up and say enough, it's time to really change.

We can, we will, and we really should.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
That was a very kind gesture on your part, Proto. I am sure you made their day by your act of kindness on this special celebration in Islam. It's the little things things that people see not the overblown geo-political wasteland that our politicians reside in when trying to understand and appreciate others. If everyone took the time as you did to be kind and thoughtful to others regardless of our perceived differences, imagine what the world would be like. I'll end, with a clip from one of my favorite films that is in context with what you did today. Good job my friend, and Happy Eid to all.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I have to mention between Your last post, and Your deeds in the OP something is ringing clear; the Butterfly Effect.

There is solid evidence in the theory of it; I find it incredible that a single butterfly can create havoc, but why not? There have been movements that did change the World because of a single moment in time; a simple action that lasted no longer than a second reverberated through space, time, and dimension.

Shaking the core of the structure at the specific space, time, and dimensional place. I think many People are starting to do things like You did for Eid.

I'll bet that scares the crud out of the ole' quasi Elite.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Wow.
Where do I start!
You speak beautifully as well as intellectually!
Love your posts!
So much so that I would like to come back to read them often!
You do have a way with words my good friend!
Describing music's vibrations and its effect on the person was brilliant.
Not sure where you got it but you should patent it!

Wish I could speak more eloquently as you.
Rmember I'm just the bass player!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Thank you Jake51 and Happy Eid and Happy New Years to you my friend.

Once upon a time I had a girlfriend who loved broadway show tunes (I swear it was a girlfriend) who loved a song by a one hit wonder in her day named Kitty Kallen whose one hit was "Little things mean a lot".

It is the little things in life that mean the most of us, a childs laugh or precocious words, a refreshing drink on a hot summers day, an unexpected smile when we are feeling blue, or just a little love not tucked someplace discrete to be found later on while alone that says "I love you".

It's the little things in life that mean a lot and just like smelling the roses we should all take time to invest more time in little things, because after all anything small has to grow!

Thanks for posting Jakes51 I love that movie and look forward to watching the video now.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

You are so right Proto!
It really is the little things that matter!
I have said on here we need to enjoy our time that we have.

We have a few saying's in the band:
"We're not here for a long time, but we're here for a good time"!
And, if that doesnt work, "the dance floor is free"!

if nothing else we could always change the name of the band to
"free beer"!
That ought to get a huge draw!

Thanks for bring that in Jake!
There was a lot of meaning in that movie!
Reminded me of star trek in a way.
A way to explore certain "taboo" subjects maybe....

to think is to imagine, to imagine is to invent, to invent is to change!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join