It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much radiation for Man to go to Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Have you seen the results of the studies from Odessy? They indicate that the lower elevations of Mars have levels of about 10rem/yr with large areas receiving less than 15. Are these considered highly dangerous levels? It seems they are about equivalent or less than what the ISS receives.

[edit on 9/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Relatively lightweight aluminium or plastic shielding can block charged particles from the sun. But it would take impractically thick and heavy shields to stop the higher-energy galactic cosmic rays. "Shielding is not a solution to the risk problem," says Frank Cucinotta, chief scientist for radiation studies at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.

www.newscientist.com...

There are high speed particles the pass through everything that come
from all direction and when they hit a nucleus, well radioactivity insues
which one would have to repair or wait till something happens way down
time in the astronauts life.

Best to stay beneath the Earth protective atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Are these considered highly dangerous levels? It seems they are about equivalent or less than what the ISS receives.

That was the point I was trying to make, Mars gives little shield and ISS levels are to be expected. It's extremely hard to study effects of relatively low doses on health, so any number they give you is approximate, it's hard to quantify the "danger" factor. ISS crew is subjected to levels already more than aircraft crew. As the article say, there'll be a percent (or a few percent) uptick in cancer rates... Hard to say.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
There are also concerns about the effect it would have on Humans living outside earths magnetic field for the year or so it would take to get to Mars, not to mention living in the almost non-existent on Mars itself.

We simply don't know how crucial the field is to the proper functioning of the human brain at this point, no one has spent enough time away from it for us to be able to see if there are any adverse effects.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, which I may just be.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Isn't this less about going to mars and more about an easy way of going to Phobos to have a closer look at any Structures or Monoliths that may be there , without actually saying " Oh by the way we are going to Phobos to look at any Structures or Monoliths that may be there ".
Just a thought

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Isn't this less about going to mars and more about an easy way of going to Phobos to have a closer look at any Structures or Monoliths that may be there , without actually saying " Oh by the way we are going to Phobos to look at any Structures or Monoliths that may be there ".
Just a thought

Im sorry but it sounds like somebody has been playing to much Doom. Monoliths on Phobos? Haven't heard that one in a long time.....

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Well maybe you should check this out

And maybe check this out
Monolith on Phobos

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Aldrin says "It's a big, big, tall rock. Now I could say it looks like maybe it's a crude construction device by some creatures who practiced on Phobos and then landed in Egypt and built the pyramids. But I don't believe that. But some people are liable to think that".
CSPAN

He was right, of course, some do people think that. Be he does not.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
There are also concerns about the effect it would have on Humans living outside earths magnetic field for the year or so it would take to get to Mars, not to mention living in the almost non-existent on Mars itself.

We simply don't know how crucial the field is to the proper functioning of the human brain at this point, no one has spent enough time away from it for us to be able to see if there are any adverse effects.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, which I may just be.

I have the same concern, only I would probably project this problem not just tying us to the planet, but to our specific star.

I suspect that on top of trying to figure out how to displace radiation and problems with stray or pelting particles upon ships and us, that we will eventually need to find a way to recreate the effect of our big body battery charger.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I am Not saying that its anything , other than a strange feature on a largely featureless odd shaped chunk of rock .
But it may be one of several reasons that NASA want to go and check out Phobos and are using the radiation excuse to go there .
If they said we are going to Phobos then people would conclude it was because of what Aldin said , but once there they could check it out anyway .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join