It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much radiation for Man to go to Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
An interesting report from new scientist.com states that we cant send a man to Mars because of too much Cosmic radiation and the difficulty of landing a manned mission on a planet that has gravity .
I thought we were living in the 21st Century ! , surely if we could stop trying to find new and more ingenious ways of killing each other this would be a problem that could be solved with relative ease , it sounds like a lame excuse to me .
Interestingly they suggest one solution may be to send astronauts to Mars's moons, Phobos or Deimos .

From such a perch, astronauts could use remote-controlled robots to explore the Martian surface and retrieve samples - from the planet as well as the moon itself - for later close-up study on Earth. This would avoid the need to develop expensive hardware to land humans on a body with substantial gravity, like Mars.

Too much radiation for astronauts

[edit on 18-9-2009 by gortex]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Well people didn't believe it was possible to fly to the moon
d nasa prove the opposite.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by 2Unknown]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Too much radiation on Mars? There's plenty of radiation in space (referring to the ISS and everything else manned we've sent up).

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrayFox
Too much radiation on Mars? There's plenty of radiation in space (referring to the ISS and everything else manned we've sent up).

The ISS is protected from the worst of the solar radiation by Earths gravity.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GrayFox

According to the report they say the ISS is protected from cosmic radiation by the Earth , dont know how true that is but I do know that the ISS is a massive waste of money and a distraction from what we should be doing in space , IE a moon base .

[edit on 18-9-2009 by gortex]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I would imagine there is a higher concentration of deadly cosmic rays in space than there are in the atmosphere of Mars. Mars also has a higher gravity than it's moons so there's some more protection right there.

If there is an issue, it's touchdowns and liftoffs... but cosmic rays... Nah, we can sort that!

IRM

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I guess they got the message that Mars belongs to somebeing else, interesting. Has anyone realized we just got banned from going to the Moon & Mars in the last month SMH.

[edit on 9/18/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yeah IMO this is just a scam for us to think that we cant go to Mars, while they go to Mars and set up base....sort of like the moon, but this is just my opinion. NASA doesnt like telling the people the truth.

jra

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The ISS is protected by the Earth's magnetic field, not from Earth's gravity. It doesn't protect the ISS 100%, but it helps a great deal still. Mars has a very weak magnetic field, so it doesn't offer as much protection. Plus the trip to Mars with current technology would take at least 6 months, probably more. So any manned trip to Mars will need some very good shielding. The same goes for any long term missions to the Moon, like what was being planned for the Constellation program.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnmhinds
The ISS is protected from the worst of the solar radiation by Earths gravity.

Sorry but this statement is completely untrue. Gravity doesn't do jack to stop radiation.

Solar flares are indeed the source of major health risks for ISS inhabitants.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Just take this to heart, and always know this to be true. Everything NASA says is a big fat lie, and they are never going to tell you the truth about anything in space. After seeing the Alternative 3 film, I began to research this, and here is what I think. this is my own thoughts, I have no proof, obviously, as I have never been to Mars.

Mars is has a climate that is mild, much like Earth's. A man can walk about on Mars with an oxygen bottle and no space suit. There is a military/scientific base on Mars that contains some 200,000 people from Earth, scientists for the most part. A device has been discovered on Mars that is a shield of sorts for this sector. TPTB have been trying to shut this device off you a number of years. A few years ago there was an accident and lots of people died in it.
Regular trips to Mars are made by the Secret Astronaut Program, using American spacecraft you probably have never seen.

www.thule.org...

xfacts.com...

www.thewatcherfiles.com...

www.geocities.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Even though its very thin, the atmosphere of Mars would provide a pretty fair amount of protection...once you get there. The larger problem is that it is a long trip there and back. That's where the danger mostly lies.

Right now we don't really have any materials suitable for physical shielding of cosmic rays but research is ongoing. As you say, I don't think it's an insurmountable problem and the solution is likely to be a combination of shielding materials and some kind of electromagnetic shielding.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Good sir, if you walked about on Mars with just an oxygen bottle you would not only find your flesh rupturing from atmospheric pressures that are less than 1% of those found on earth, you would also find your extremities freezing solid very rapidly, given the average surface temperature of -46* Celsius.

It would be like walking around in the same conditions found 35km above earths surface. Mars's "Atmosphere" is a laughable term at best.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Maybe there has been a nuclear war on Mars sometime in the past?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I've yet to see anyone explain how our astronauts got through the Van Allen radiation belt to get to the moon, let alone Mars.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes, I too would like a good explanation on this. The fact is, unless a person has physically been to Mars, then they do know know, do they? I have come to think that a lot of the hype NASA says is simply to keep people in the dark about space. I have come to believe that not only is Mars inhabited, but so is Venus. Think about it for a second....how did we find out anything about space? NASA told us, right? How can we believe what NASA says?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by brocket99

Then you haven't been paying much attention. The time spent within the Van Allen belts was brief.

www.clavius.org...

[edit on 9/18/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Even though its very thin, the atmosphere of Mars would provide a pretty fair amount of protection...once you get there.

I don't think so. It's a well known fact that radiation levels are considerably higher at 40,000 feet (typical aircraft altitude) than they are at sea level. And there is still about 20% of atmosphere above that mark.

Right now we don't really have any materials suitable for physical shielding of cosmic rays but research is ongoing. As you say, I don't think it's an insurmountable problem and the solution is likely to be a combination of shielding materials and some kind of electromagnetic shielding.

I've had formal classes in the field of radiation protection and dosimetry, as well a few years of professional experience modeling propagation of radiation in materials and in magnetic fields. I would say that it's pretty much impossible to develop a light material to shield against ionizing radiation. Both nuclear and electromagnetic cross sections increase with the charge of the nucleus, that's just physics. If you can afford to haul a concrete bunker through Universe, that would be helpful. Magnetic shielding will work only for softer part of the spectrum, and there'll be showers inside the craft.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by brocket99
I've yet to see anyone explain how our astronauts got through the Van Allen radiation belt to get to the moon, let alone Mars.

I have yet to see anyone who thinks the Van Allen belts are insurmountable give a properly quantified amount of radiation they think the astronauts would encounter. The Soviets sent two dogs to spend much longer in the belts than any human ever has, neither of them got sick from radiation poisoning. The command module on apollo had about 4-6mm of aluminum and even thicker q-felt insulation, which provides excellent protection against the particle radiation found in the belts (better than lead of the same thickness). The website where a graph exists that shows just how low a dose of radiation would be received from the belts at 4-6mm aluminum is currently down, but you can generate such a graph yourself here:
www.spenvis.oma.be...
You'll be amazed at how badly you've been mislead.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Magnetic shielding will work only for softer part of the spectrum, and there'll be showers inside the craft.

Wouldn't that depend on the strength of the magnetic shield? Sure, solar power won't cut it, but what if you had a nuclear (or, thinking far future, even fusion?) reactor on board dedicated to it?

[edit on 18-9-2009 by ngchunter]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join