It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington Post: Black only event calls protesters racist

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE

What did you expect from the city? You expected it to turn out Rhodes Scholars every single day? Detroit is known for what? Cars. How much ambition do you expect for the people to have when the majority are assembly line workers, or come from that type of background?
[edit on 14-9-2009 by EMPIRE]

My grandfather was an assembly-line worker. He worked his tail off everyday and saved every dime he could. Then, he took his savings, built a house AND a business of his own.

He couldn't read very well and also couldn't write. He never received any promotions or anything else. The only thing he DID do was grab up every bit of overtime he could.

Oh, he's white by the way. There is no reason that others, regardless of skin color, couldn't have done the same.

If people, black, white, hispanic, etc., would get off their butts and work -- yes, two or three jobs if that's what it takes to get what you want -- then they could have and/or buy whatever type of housing they wanted in whatever type of community they wanted.

You can mention whatever "inferred" acts of racism you want, but the FACT is that there is not ONE community ANYWHERE in the US that forbids black people from purchasing property. Therefore, if they have the money, they can buy whatever house they want WHEREVER they want.

Lastly, this notion that all white people are somehow born into the millions of dollars that our grandparents stole from the blacks years ago, is utter nonsense. Any of that money is sitting or has sat or is being controlled by the White House. This goes for all of the black politicians as well. Equality and all.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
As far as can see, racism doesn't exist. Sure, there will always be those people who hate or dislike others based upon religion, color, etc. But that isn't really racism...in my opinion. That is just part of the animal we all are...and some obvious idiots.

However, racism as in "couldn't get a job because" or "wouldn't let me rent because" appears to be history. I work with, and am friends with a number of people who happen to be of a different race or religion. I notice this because I have eyes and ears and it is in front of me. The animal in me denotes differences between people, especially visual. But that doesn't make me racist. Now...acting in a different manner to people that "appear" different IS racism.

When I first saw Obama, my first thought was likely "he is black". Well...he is. But since then, my first thought is who he is...the President. I don't happen to like him much (or at least his track record), but being black doesn't come into the fold.

The sooner that the liberals, leftists, etc. let go of racism, the sooner we can start working toward the betterment of ALL people. You can no longer point the finger at "whites", etc. and say we are the problem. The problem no longer exists...UNTIL YOU POINT.

Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

My grandfather was an assembly-line worker. He worked his tail off everyday and saved every dime he could. Then, he took his savings, built a house AND a business of his own. He couldn't read very well and also couldn't write. He never received any promotions or anything else. The only thing he DID do was grab up every bit of overtime he could. Oh, he's white by the way. There is no reason that others, regardless of skin color, couldn't have done the same.

So your grandfather was around during the civil rights era then right? I wonder what his views where of race relations during that time. More likely than not, he would have said everything is peachy, just like most of the white population thought during that time. I'm not being held down so it's all good for me.

You can't save up and start a business when the majority AND the government is against you and they were.

If people, black, white, hispanic, etc., would get off their butts and work -- yes, two or three jobs if that's what it takes to get what you want -- then they could have and/or buy whatever type of housing they wanted in whatever type of community they wanted.

Your right there, i'll agree with that. However being black, there are communities i can't get into..We all may see green, but there are somethings money can't wash away.

You can mention whatever "inferred" acts of racism you want, but the FACT is that there is not ONE community ANYWHERE in the US that forbids black people from purchasing property. Therefore, if they have the money, they can buy whatever house they want WHEREVER they want.

You my friend are ignorant of the world around you and this is exactly what EMPIRE is referring to. Jeez, you really need to step your game up chief

Lastly, this notion that all white people are somehow born into the millions of dollars that our grandparents stole from the blacks years ago, is utter nonsense. Any of that money is sitting or has sat or is being controlled by the White House. This goes for all of the black politicians as well. Equality and all.

*sigh* All imma say is that money and it's regulation is controlled by the Federal Reserve, so that let's you know how wrong your statement is.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'll trade you ten black racists for 1 white racist.

The irony of racism is that it is not itself racist.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Originally posted by someneph
Blacks are never FULLY accepted into the white community (no matter what anyone says).

Can you please explain this to me?
What needs to be done in order to prove to you (and others that share your view) that black people ARE fully accepted? In other words, what would it take for this to happen?

I ask because I often feel like "equality" is spoken about like some mysterious dangling carrot -- never to be reached -- but nonetheless described as attainable.

Do all communities have to have an equal number of blacks, whites? What about hispanics? What about the the simple fact that there are more white people than black people? Does it have to be simply a proportionate number representative of the racial breakdown?

Seriously -- what is the answer to the question: How is equality defined?

The image of blacks has been molded by the media for hundreds of years as being cool, tough, musically and physically talented, and dumb. If you seek to go outside of your back box, you are ridiculed by blacks, and never fully accepted by whites. Whites on the other hand, have the freedom to think for themselves and be themselves without necessarily being looked at strange. Hope I put that in a way thats easy to understand.

I don't understand this. How can you say whites are free to think for themselves without being ridiculed at a time when we are speaking out against the White House and the administration (people tend to forget that the administration is predominantly WHITE) and we are instantly labeled as racists?!

We apparently aren't allowed to think for ourselves if it involves contradicting the view points of a black president. Double standard?

You bring up some good points. There is nothing that can be done to prove this to me however, since I have experienced discrimination (though not always blatant or intentional) throughout my life at the hands of white friends. There have been countless times where some of my white "friends" would invite me to a white party and tell me not to bring any black people (jokingly, but serious). Are they telling me not to bring myself? The fact is, blacks, especially groups, generally make whites a bit unconfortable for various reasons, many times without giving them a reason to feel that way. My opinion is strictly based on my life experiences but I can see how one may not see my side from the outside looking in. and keep in mind I mean the white community as a whole.

I definitly agree with the second part of your post. However, the degree that black experience this "boxing" is far more severe than whites. If a black man is well spoken or dresses in a conservative way, many blacks will say is acting white or selling out. This comes into play mostly when it comes to education which stems from the long held belief amongst blacks that formal education is only spreading the white mans' lies (illuminati propaganda). I definitly see a double standard when it comes to whites protesting again the majority white administation, run by a half african (NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN) president. You must keep in mind however, that the people claiming the protests to be racist are the media and those who help their agenda. I believe this is the sole purpose he was put into office, to portray protestors as racist, to increase the divide amongst races, and distract us from the issues.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
As a democrat I am disgusted by the blatant racism too many liberals practice against white males.

What you really have is active classism and sexism hiding behind the race issue.

College educated whites are actively discriminating against working class whites in the name of race and gender equality. Discriminating against one group in claimed defense of another is never right, it is discrimination no matter how you try to dress it.

It isn't the rich white boy who will not get into college, or the middle class white boy who will be turned away as a part of affirmative action programs, it is the working class white boy that came from a poor white neighborhood who will be turned away to boost minority rates at the college.

It is pure unadulterated discrimination. It is justified by saying that blacks were slaves, and so they now deserve special treatment to account for slavery.

Well that poor white boys family has been pushed down for centuries as well, by the same discriminating methods. Racism is not about race, and neither is discrimination.

What gouges me even further about this situation is not only has the poor white boy being turned away from college under the banner of affirmative action not ever owned a slave himself, or having actually practiced discrimination against minorities, the odds are extremely thin that his family ever owned any slaves.

However, the rich white kid who never had to worry about getting into college as long as he made decent grades is the most likely to have ancestors who owned slaves, and that includes all the rich white kids who support affirmative action.

If this poor white kid is from the North, there is a good chance he had family that fought in the civil war to end slavery. In case you haven't noticed there are a great many people in the south who still hate northerners, and a great many of them are very rich. These still rich former slave owners are probably happy about the idea that affirmative action helps keep northern while males out of college.

Yep, by supporting affirmative action, you are also helping the former slave owners get back at the people who fought to end slavery.

Great job people.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Oh come on, white people have never bullied by other races.

We're just too sensitive. If you're white in a predominantly white country, then you have not seen racism.

[edit on 9/14/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Holy crap i missed it ... the federal reserve is handing out money to white people? Man i wish i would have known.....

Aaaaanywho i didnt see either event but im quite sure if there was any racism it would be the biggest news? rather than people calling them racist?... look at the facts of the matter. I can only see one group promoting racism ... and it wasnt the right wing crowd.

another point ... why cant anyone not like Obama for his policies? Its rediculous ... i think hes spending waaaay too much money ... just like GWB. GWB started with no deficit then he racked up a huge debt ... And i wish Obama was different, but a 1 trillion dollar healthcare plan that by all means is going to bankrupt the nation? Ill give it to Obama hes by far way better than GWB ever could of dreamed of being ... simply becuase of what he chose to bankrupt us on ... GWB= war Obama= healthcare... obviously Obama wins... do i have to agree with outrageous spending? absolutely not.

Racism indeed just not from the people you thought it would come from

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by someneph

Well, I starred you in the post above mine, but I have to take issue with the concept of "white privlege".

I call it intellectualized discrimination. The inherent flaw to this concept is that there is such a thing as a white community where everyone, or in fact anyone, is fully accepted. It just doesn't exist. In fact this has far less to do with your particular ethnicity, but more to do with who you are.

If you are a very unique individual, you are never really accepted anywhere, no matter how kind and trustworthy you are as an individual. Trust me, I know this very well, and I am a white, blue eyed all American looking guy. I will say there are advantages to being unique. While you are never really a part of any group, you are usually considered neutral, and so in many ways you are accepted by all groups. My guess is you know this as well.

Yes, white people often feel uncomfortable around black people, even when they know them and trust them. It is my observation that the reverse is true, blacks are always slightly uncomfortable with whites, even when they are in a relationship.

I'm sure that "don't bring any black people" joke would get old real fast. I am willing to bet, that there were black people that you knew you could bring that were acceptable.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

As a democrat I am disgusted by the blatant racism too many liberals practice against white males.

What you really have is active classism and sexism hiding behind the race issue.

College educated whites are actively discriminating against working class whites in the name of race and gender equality. Discriminating against one group in claimed defense of another is never right, it is discrimination no matter how you try to dress it.

It isn't the rich white boy who will not get into college, or the middle class white boy who will be turned away as a part of affirmative action programs, it is the working class white boy that came from a poor white neighborhood who will be turned away to boost minority rates at the college.

It is pure unadulterated discrimination. It is justified by saying that blacks were slaves, and so they now deserve special treatment to account for slavery.

Well that poor white boys family has been pushed down for centuries as well, by the same discriminating methods. Racism is not about race, and neither is discrimination.

What gouges me even further about this situation is not only has the poor white boy being turned away from college under the banner of affirmative action not ever owned a slave himself, or having actually practiced discrimination against minorities, the odds are extremely thin that his family ever owned any slaves.

However, the rich white kid who never had to worry about getting into college as long as he made decent grades is the most likely to have ancestors who owned slaves, and that includes all the rich white kids who support affirmative action.

If this poor white kid is from the North, there is a good chance he had family that fought in the civil war to end slavery. In case you haven't noticed there are a great many people in the south who still hate northerners, and a great many of them are very rich. These still rich former slave owners are probably happy about the idea that affirmative action helps keep northern while males out of college.

Yep, by supporting affirmative action, you are also helping the former slave owners get back at the people who fought to end slavery.

Great job people.

The notion that the civil war was fought to end slavery is nonsense. Lincoln had no love for blacks, and only outlawed slavery in the south to weaken the south, who didn't even listen until the war was over. He did NOT outlaw slavery in the border states because of the fear they would leave if he did so. Even if the civil war was fought to end slavery, blacks still had little to no rights for the next hundred years.

And on the issue of affirmative action. In the words of Chris Rock, "I don't think that if I dont score as high on a test as a white person i should be accepted over them, but if they're the same, &*%^ 'em". The simple fact is, blacks DO experience much higher levels of discrimination in educational and work environments. Many applicants are denied just for having a black last name(this comes from testimony from various corporate executives). When you look at the statistics, they indicate that in instances where the police can use discretion, blacks are arrested at alarmingly disproportional rates. The felony ammount for coc aine is 500 grams. The felony ammount for rock form of coc aine is 5 grams. 90% people arrested for crack possession are black, and 77% of people arrested for powder form are white. Its the things like these that make affirmative action not only justified, but necessary. I do not believe laziness should be rewarded, but there are many things that blacks go through that whites simply have not experienced and cannot relate to.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

So your grandfather was around during the civil rights era then right? I wonder what his views where of race relations during that time. More likely than not, he would have said everything is peachy, just like most of the white population thought during that time. I'm not being held down so it's all good for me.

Come on, you never heard of the civil war or the Lincoln Douglas debates? Of course people wouldn't have said race relations where peachy back then. Most people would have felt that their attitudes towards blacks, and irish, and poles, and italians, and chinese and everyone else was fully justified. They would have complained how these other groups are not being kept in their place. Then they would have moved on to their neighbors who are racially the same, and even of the same religions, but how they do this and that wrong, and can hardly be trusted over all these other people.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

nice angle ... i forgot the old addage "HELP WANTED: Irish Need Not Apply"

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Well, I starred you in the post above mine, but I have to take issue with the concept of "white privlege".

I call it intellectualized discrimination. The inherent flaw to this concept is that there is such a thing as a white community where everyone, or in fact anyone, is fully accepted. It just doesn't exist. In fact this has far less to do with your particular ethnicity, but more to do with who you are.

If you are a very unique individual, you are never really accepted anywhere, no matter how kind and trustworthy you are as an individual. Trust me, I know this very well, and I am a white, blue eyed all American looking guy. I will say there are advantages to being unique. While you are never really a part of any group, you are usually considered neutral, and so in many ways you are accepted by all groups. My guess is you know this as well.

Yes, white people often feel uncomfortable around black people, even when they know them and trust them. It is my observation that the reverse is true, blacks are always slightly uncomfortable with whites, even when they are in a relationship.

I'm sure that "don't bring any black people" joke would get old real fast. I am willing to bet, that there were black people that you knew you could bring that were acceptable.

Ah, good point. You are correct that there is no white community where everyone is accepted because we are all individuals. What I mean by this white privilege is that whites are simply looked at as people and blacks are always looked at as BLACK people. the black always comes first. When a white person meets a black person the first thing that comes to mind is that the person is black, along with some prejudices that the person may have. The same thing goes if a black person meets a white person, although the prejudices may be different..

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Almsot 1/3 of the soldiers who fought in the north fought to end slavery. there were also men in the south who fought against the confederacy, and who wanted to end slavery. Slavery was considered to be a stain on the nation. Europe had already ended slavery. Read the Lincoln Douglas debates, yeah, slavery was the main issue. The two biggest reasons people sighted for fighting the civil was was to protect the union, and to end slavery. Those two reason made up over 60% of stated reasons. By the way, many people in the south also opposed slavery, and a great many were forced to fight.

I don't know what makes you claim that Lincoln didn't free all of the slaves and that they didn't want slaves to leave the country. There was a program created to allow blacks to return to Africa, and enough of them did return to Africa to form their own country, Liberia.

Well, oughta time, catch ya later.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by lpowell0627

Actually, we weren't discussing his viewpoints on race. We are discussing whether or not black people, working in an assemnbly-line setting (reminder: you were using Detroit), have the same ability to work hard, save money, and buy a house anywhere in the country that they want to. And the answer is, yes. Which is why assembly-line jobs are the perfect example. My grandfather made base pay. So did the other black people that worked with him.

PS - When he opened his business, he hired two employees. His brother, and a black man, with whom I'm still friends, that worked with him in the factory. Henry (the black man) left after a couple of years to start his own business.

You can't save up and start a business when the majority AND the government is against you and they were.

Were? or are? I thought we were discussing racism TODAY.

Your right there, i'll agree with that. However being black, there are communities i can't get into..We all may see green, but there are somethings money can't wash away.

I want you to NAME the community you can't get into BECAUSE you're black -- not because it's out of your price range or there are no houses for sale. Please name the community, so we can start a petition and get that community recognized for being prejudiced.

*sigh* All imma say is that money and it's regulation is controlled by the Federal Reserve, so that let's you know how wrong your statement is.

News flash: The Federal Reserve robs from the whites AND blacks. Believe you me, they see no color that they won't take from!!

[edit on 14-9-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

There have been countless times where some of my white "friends" would invite me to a white party and tell me not to bring any black people (jokingly, but serious).

Are you sure they were serious? Seriously. Are you sure that you are not LOOKING for RACISM and therefore find it?

Perhaps, they WERE ACTUALLY JOKING. I will take you at your word since they are not friends of mine. But I find that people that set out to find something, usually do.

PS - the fact that you called it a "white party" is very telling.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

You bring up some good points. There is nothing that can be done to prove this to me

So what you're saying is that you will always believe that racism exists no matter what is actually happening in the world.

Good for you.

You're the EXACT REASON racism exists. Period.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
divide and conquer

2nd

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Originally posted by Wimbly
reply to post by EMPIRE

The fact is, white people have WHITE PRIVELEGE

White privileged is a racist stereotype made up to explain successful white people. I'm poor and having tons of troubles in my life right now. If I only had "white privilege" powers to get me out of them. Give me a break.

I, too was going to reply but....they spelled PRIVILEGE incorrectly so it wasn't worth the time...

BUT I'll reply anyway. What privileges do we, white people have? We don't bitch and moan about having more rights than any other race. Do we? No.

At least blacks have affirmative action.

Not saying that in a racist manner either, I'm just making the point whites are under privileged if anything. Don't see why we can't all be equal...every group wants more rights than the other....

So are we going to use the red pen? If that is the case, you should probably look into your first sentence and every sentence where you use elipses.

In regards to privileges you have, click on the links provided and reply after you have done so.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Originally posted by EMPIRE

What did you expect from the city? You expected it to turn out Rhodes Scholars every single day? Detroit is known for what? Cars. How much ambition do you expect for the people to have when the majority are assembly line workers, or come from that type of background?
[edit on 14-9-2009 by EMPIRE]

My grandfather was an assembly-line worker. He worked his tail off everyday and saved every dime he could. Then, he took his savings, built a house AND a business of his own.

He couldn't read very well and also couldn't write. He never received any promotions or anything else. The only thing he DID do was grab up every bit of overtime he could.

Oh, he's white by the way. There is no reason that others, regardless of skin color, couldn't have done the same.

I've addressed this form of "thinking" in other threads. I'll link you later.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join