It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is mostly a repeat of other posts, but these are important not to look over.

- Salt. It's your friend in a lot of situations. You'll find a big pot of rice and beans sucks without a little salt.
- Spices and dried herbs. Goes hand in hand with salt. Make the same meal totally different with these additions.
- Antidiarrheal. A must in your first aid kit. Have plenty. Not just a few packets. Who wants more old beans?
- Baking soda. Tons of uses including baking and toothpaste.
- Candles. Multiple uses again. Get unscented ones unless you want your post-apocalyptic house to smell like vanilla-pear.
- Fire making equipment of your choosing.
- Alcohol. Makes a good disinfectant and a fine cocktail.
- Tarps. They take up so little space and can really help weatherproof.

And my personal favorite,

- A cribbage board and deck of cards. You'll want to take a break from killing zombies at least sometimes.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Water... You can not stock up on enough water. THink about the worst case scenario. Nukes drop Chicago gets it... right their half of the nations fresh water supply has been contaminated Via the Poisoned mississippi and all the rivers it feeds.

In the future after our leaders finnaly lose it and push the button those that have large reserves of fresh water will be kings... Water barons...

And remember boiling water is not the same as distilling it. And after the water is distilled the waste run off will be very hazardous so remember that too.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hand sanitizer.

You can start a fire on ice using hand sanitizer. Has a variety of uses and is easily carried.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
Hand sanitizer.

You can start a fire on ice using hand sanitizer. Has a variety of uses and is easily carried.

You can also buy it by the quarts at sam's club.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I've been stockpiling for years; I write on the containers the date purchased, and rotate the stocks.

The past couple of years, we've been working with native foods -- more of a long-term solution. In my case, it's learning how to make coconut oil, coconut flour, soap from coconut oil, breadfruit flour, breads from same, cultivating summer pusalane and calleloo, etc. etc. Just those things alone could keep us alive several years, even without augmenting the diet with fish or seafood.

I think it's important to learn how to live within your local (or the location you plan to bug-out to) area's fauna and flora. This is what humans did once, to survive. I think we've forgotten how to live, as our cultures -- for the most part -- carry us away from those simple places.

I strive to live more simply. Aside from this computer and a TV, we are pretty self-sufficient, and produce enough to share. I am growing coffee plants, stevia, pepper, cilantro, basil, garlic. These things matter in the long view, not in short-term survival.

Be safe all, but please don't forget to LIVE! to laugh and have wonder

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
I have fantasies of turning away (or making slaves of, waaaaha hahaha) some of my wifes family members when they start showing up at our door (the ones who have belittled me for being prepared). I have all the juicy lines prepared, lets hope I never have to use them.

Yeah, but is that really going to fly with your wife? I can't imagine anything positive about any scenario in which they have to come and live in my basement and I have to share my supplies. My in-laws are argumentative and they don't respect me

Can you imagine me trying to get them all to take iodine pills so their heads won't melt off, when they argue with me about the word "espresso" not being spelled with an X, and whether or not there is an "e" in the word "potatoes"?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My hunting knife, fire-starter flint and ventolin. Don't need anything else.

I'll skin MP's for my sleeping bag and tent.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Cool, thank you...that's a great idea!! I bet most food places have them and probably all toss them out too. Definitely worth looking into.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

It's been my experience that with our chickens their egg-laying starts dropping off pretty hard once they hit their third year. We still get eggs, yeah, but not near as many as when they were pullets, and they'll stop laying alltogether during the winter, whereas before we would still get a few during the cold months.

I'm not saying just kill all your chickens for the heck of it after 2 years . . . if they're still laying heavily after 3,4,5 years by all means they're useful so keep them around. Good to hear you're getting plenty of laying years out of yours.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Yeah, that's real macho and all, but I think that you would cry like a baby if you were dumped naked in the woods at night with nothing but your knife, fire starter and rescue inhaler.

I hope you meant this as a joke. If so, FUNNY!
If not, stupid.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

Thank you bunches, I will let you know how I do. Getting rid of store bought bread will be a pleasure.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Something else I was thinking of. You don't need fully risen yeasted bread to survive, so you can save yourself some time making all sorts of delicious flatbread.

en.wikipedia.org...

Even if your flatbread contains yeast, it can generally be cooked on a griddle/skillet/flat hot surface as compared to an oven. Personally, I'll have more access to a camp griddle post-SHTF than my oven.

Familiarize yourself with flatbreads and have a feast.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Again, exactly what I wanted from this thread.
Thanks for the tip and I will check into flat bread.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

You know, the one thing I haven't saw anyone mention is "glasses". Anyone that needs to wear glasses to see should get several extra pairs to keep in their bag. Getting into a survival situation and losing your "eyes" is a very, bad plan. Wearing contacts is pretty much the same situation. It's a toss up which is really better to have, glasses can be used for other purposes in a pinch, contacts, however are so much smaller and easier to pack. Breaking or losing either one could spell disaster.

Shea

Oh yea, some say those strings or elastic bands that hold glasses on look silly, but better safe than sorry when shtf, be sure and have one for each pair of glasses!!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

That was another great response. Spare glasses are a must. Contacts are only going to be good for a while if you can't find solution.

It doesn't matter how much water and ammo you have if you can tell from a distance if it's a friend or foe or zombie.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Pretty much any grocery that has a deli has them. Publix, winn-dixie and such.

I love the pickle buckets. (ummmmmm pickles)

Also, I am stocking up on antibiotics.

Veterinary antibiotics

Same as human without a prescription.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Why would i be naked? Are 'they' going to rape me before i flee?

Anyway, we'll get a few weeks warning in the UK of things to come, once TSHTF in America, land of the free

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Make one of these mud ovens.

Them some big damn tortillas, could fit a whole squirrel in their with some peppers and tomatoes. (too close to lunchtime you got me feenin')

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD

Yeah, but is that really going to fly with your wife? I can't imagine anything positive about any scenario in which they have to come and live in my basement and I have to share my supplies. My in-laws are argumentative and they don't respect me

Can you imagine me trying to get them all to take iodine pills so their heads won't melt off, when they argue with me about the word "espresso" not being spelled with an X, and whether or not there is an "e" in the word "potatoes"?

My problem exactly. Example, my mother-in-law will argue till she is blue in the face that eggs are a dairy product!! "Well why would they sell them in the dairy cooler if they weren't dairy?" IDIOT!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A shortwave radio, receiver at least. The only frequency's still controlled by the people.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join