It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bad habits!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
so about bad habits. we've all got them... at least one. i managed to kick one of the worst habits though: nailbiting.

so i was just curious what habits have others kicked? maybe give a story about what made you quit too, ya know... to provide inspiration to those who may have the same habit you did?

well i've bitten my nails since i was in like second grade... so for the past 12, 13 years. my fiance has been pestering me to stop since we've been together. i eventually bit all of my nails down nearly to the cuticle. then i wasn't able to bite them anymore, so i had to wait and watch them grow. i still kept trying to pick at them. then i just wouldn't let myself bite them anymore, and after 3 weeks i've only bit them a couple times, and nothing to damaging.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'd say one of my old bad habits was lying... I would constantly lie when I was a kid to get out of something I did wrong, it carried on into adulthood until I started catching myself. My lies would just roll off my tongue.
For example, if someone was asking a yes or no question i'd anwer whatever I thought the right answer would be in fear of getting in trouble. But I practiced more and more because i'm an adult now and need to know i'm not going to get in trouble by my parents, plus I don't do bad things anymore either....

And then for a physical habit, I'd say burping... I love to burp because it just gets everything all out and feels good while i'm doing it... It's like massaging my vocal cords. My husband doesn't like it, but it's done for a reason. Beer and coke give me alots of burps.. He's just gonna have to deal w/ it because I ain't breakin that one.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I must admit nailbitting is the only bad habit I never was able to quit.

I've quitted smoking, cracking my knuckles chronicly, I've quitted being a lazy bastards that does no physical activities at all, I've quitted drinking soda, I've quitted the daily morning coffee, but I simply can't quit bitting my nails. It's like I do in unconsciously.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Smoking, drinking, not taking care of my health, grooming the cats with my tongue. You know, normal stuff.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My Mom always asks me "Why do you tell people?" She must be ashamed of it but I'm not.
I tell her that I want to be an example. Only one in four people can kick the habit I had and I am proud to be that fourth person.
I stopped using methamphetamines almost 5 years ago. I now smoke, drink, bite my nails, and lick my cat ...but at least I'm not smokin crank anymore...LOL

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venus
I now smoke, drink, bite my nails, and lick my cat ...but at least I'm not smokin crank anymore...LOL

Hehehehehehe... Congradulations on quitting that, must be one of the thoughest addiction to get rid off. I don't see anything wrong with telling other people what you've been throught, almost everyone tried some stuff some day, but the wisest ones learned from their errors. Takes a brave person to speak up about their errors.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
My life long bad habit has been and still is, being blunt and saying whatever is on my mind, regardless of consequences. Mainly I get in trouble with it when I call people on thier faults, like lying or being deceitful. I am trying to use better judgement and letting things go, it's real hard when I think people should be confronted and it gets me in trouble everytime, so I am trying real hard to bite my tongue in certain situations. I do fall off the wagon often though,

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by Narnia]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I should also say when I talk I sound like someone from brooklyn. I try to make myself sound normal. very hard.
I sometimes sound like someone from a trailor park when I drop the F bomb every third world.

Definitely gotta work on that.

Although I don't look like trash AT ALL sometimes I just sound like a potty mouth.

:shk:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
bad habits, so many to list, but i'll admit to the worst ones.

smoking cigarettes..definitely the worst bad habit i have
cursing.........(i refrain around the kids, but still.....)
drinking coke....from the time i wake to the time i sleep
talk too much.....umm, i think you guys realize i talk alot by now, except i do it here in the form of numerous posts.

the rest of my bad habits, i don't consider necessarily being bad or being habits, just things i do sometimes for various reasons.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If there's a bad habit I have is that Im too honest, sometimes brutally honest. Most people dont like that about me because I have very strong opinions and im not afraid to express them, which sometimes tend to intimidate people into getting into a conversation with me, but once they get to know me they see im really a sweet person. I always say what's on my mind, if you agree with it great, if you dont.... that's great too. I really dont give a rat's ass either way.

I would say that's one of my habits. I blame it on my mother since she's like that too.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV

too much TV, I love it, can't get enough of it.,

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
At the moment.. scratching mosquito bites. Damnit. They're itchy, and I'm trying avoid it, but it's hard.

Since the summer has begun appearing I've been eaten alive when I head out of the city (at least one night a week) and spend it in the country.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Comical sarcasm. Sometimes I just can't seem to find the off switch.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Jonna]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Trusting people is my down fall. So much for honest decent individuals wih morals...

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'd have to say my worse habit is playing with the bar of my labrette piercing with my toungue. It makes me look like i've just eaten a lemon or something

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I'm an ex nail biter, I gave it up about 20 years ago, although I do have the odd re-laps now and again, if I'm feeling really stressed out. Another habit that I broke was eating the inside of my mouth, pretty disgusting, I would nibble tiny bit's of the inside of my cheeks, and they would feel really rough. That soon stopped once I got interested in boys and got paranoid that they would notice when they kissed me. I managed to kick smoking too.
The habit that I've got at the moment , that I can't break is hair twiddling. My hair is quite long and I will sit watching the telly in the evenings constantly putting little plaits into my hair, undoing them and plaiting them up again. I just can't stop it and do it without realising half the time. At least when I'm on my PC I leave my hair alone.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I'm a nail biter too, I confess! But tbh I don't plan on giving up, I type to much and do martial arts, nails get in the way! And they're not non-exsistent, just short.

Also I'm way to sarcastic for my own good, I seriously am a British female Chandler at times! Oh and I'm too blunt as well, If I don't agree with something, I'll tell you (family trait, both of 'em). And I'm big headed, and love arguing and um...see really I don't think any of these are BAD things, depends on your own interpritation

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sapphire
Trusting people is my down fall. So much for honest decent individuals wih morals...

Yeah, me too... I almost posted this one, however thought the author of the thread was looking for physical habits.. etc.

new topics

top topics

join