It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Sacrifice Your Loved Ones, If They Might Get You Killed, Or Would Be Used Against You?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This is an interesting theory on a diverse topic I thought I would ask other ATS'ers.

Would You Sacrifice Your Loved Ones, If They Might Get You Killed, Or Would Be Used Against You?

This developed because of a conversation I had with a very close friend who told me she could never give up her husband, no matter what, in essence she would die with him, if it came down to making a choice in sacrificing her loved on.

Psychologically, could you walk away from a loved one, knowing you might never see them again, because you were in fear of them getting you killed, slowing you down could work towards that very much, and or that they might be used against you somehow.

Would you walk away from them in order to save them and yourself in the process?

What if you had no other choice but to walk away because being together would get all of you killed?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
NO DAMN WAY!!
NO DAMN HOW!!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc

So, what you're saying is die defending each other?

Or circle the wagons and let them come and get your guns?

Your answer gives little to discuss, but I will respect it for what it is, and leave it.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Without hesitation I would walk away and never communicate to them again. If I had time to plan it I would make it so they wouldn't look/feel the stress of wondering if I'm alive somewhere.

Hell, I'd consider offing them myself if it would save them suffering (horrible illness, torture, imprisonment in a concentration camp, etc)

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

My opinion is that if a loved one expected me to stay with them, knowing I would die, then I have no business being with a person like that.

On the flip side, if it was me that would cause other people to die, then I wouldn't expect them to stay with me.

Why should more than one person die, if the need not be?

To expect somebody to die along side you when there is no reason for it, just shows that a person is awfully selfish.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Nope. While I've been in situations where I had to make hard decisions, now that I'm a civilian I can say with absolute certainty that I'd never leave my wife, even if she had mortal wounds.

I know, it doesn't make logical sense. We've chosen to make our stand together, and that's the way it'll go down, no matter what "it" is. Hopefully "it" will be old age.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

What good would it do to sacrifice your loved ones to protect yourself? You have effectively destroyed whatever you were trying to live for!

In-Laws-----maybe.

Extremely elderly------the ones I know would make that decision themselves!

Terminally Ill-------they might have to go!!

BUT, healthy family? No Way, Never, What is the Point?!?!?

Anyone who says otherwise is missing the whole point of survival, and is wasting a lot of Oxygen!!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

No, never, not under any circumstances. I would never walk away from my family and loved ones. If the circumstances were such as you suggest, it would be much better to die together than live with the guilt and regret.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by digger2381
Without hesitation I would walk away and never communicate to them again. If I had time to plan it I would make it so they wouldn't look/feel the stress of wondering if I'm alive somewhere.

Hell, I'd consider offing them myself if it would save them suffering (horrible illness, torture, imprisonment in a concentration camp, etc)

Walking away and not communicating would do a lot to alleviate the issue.

Would you not wonder if they were okay?

You would rather murder them, so others would not murder them?

I am not judging you, only asking for clarification, based on your words.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Selfishness can be based on perception though.

What if they thought your choice was selfish?

Survival is important, on this I can agree, but what of the survival of the family unit?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I agree with you, hoping old age is what takes you, instead of being there at a violent end is preferred.

Kudos on your choice, to me each situation depends on a lot more variables than I posted here.

Posing a question like this makes it interesting to see each persons choices.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

What good would it do to sacrifice your loved ones to protect yourself? You have effectively destroyed whatever you were trying to live for!

In-Laws-----maybe.

Extremely elderly------the ones I know would make that decision themselves!

Terminally Ill-------they might have to go!!

BUT, healthy family? No Way, Never, What is the Point?!?!?

Anyone who says otherwise is missing the whole point of survival, and is wasting a lot of Oxygen!!

Well, if leaving saved their life though, what about that?

Yes, while I am single, there are a lot of in-laws I would have happily handed to the axe-man.

The elderly and terminally ill, well that is a tough choice, especially if they are slowing you down.

I can concur with your logic, but as per a post earlier, each situation dictates a different tactic used.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I would be emotionally unable to sacrifice any member of my family to save my self. It wouldn't be worth it! How could you save your own life and still live it knowing what you did?

Would you walk away from them in order to save them and yourself in the process? - I would walk away, knowing that I saved them and was able to perhaps reunite with them one day. -

What would you do?

-Gala-

link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: S&F!

I also starred digger2381 and I would follow to the last letter what they posted but I would only do this as an absolute last resort...I would only go if I was slowing them down or would get them killed or if I was to be used against them in some way! Not the other way around...without the herd I'm predator bait. I know my limitations and I've made my choices already and I'm happy to die for them and my friends and family. They're far more important than me...I'm just some crazy guy....they're real aussies who work so hard that I can get paid and live my life on ATS.

Personal Disclosure: I'd hate to be the last man alive.

link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

No, never, not under any circumstances. I would never walk away from my family and loved ones. If the circumstances were such as you suggest, it would be much better to die together than live with the guilt and regret.

You suggest to die together would be better, but what about fighting to live?

Walking away from family is something that a strong bond of a family unit builds.

I appreciate your reply.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Originally posted by Hazelnut

You suggest to die together would be better, but what about fighting to live?

Walking away from family is something that a strong bond of a family unit builds.

I appreciate your reply.

I've been fighting to live for almost 50 years now and it isn't going to stop just because some anarchy is blown my way. I may have read too fast and responded emotionally but I stick to my word, I would never abandon, betray or leave my family & loved ones. If they were in a position to trade their life for mine, that is another matter involving their karma, not mine.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gala-Kemen

I can see where you are coming from very much.

I only posted a series of questions to see what people might do.

Me? Well, that would depend totally upon the situation, what was going on, the logical choice of whether I would be saving them by "sacrificing" them, as in sacrificing my love for their lives, knowing they might carry on without me if I were leading pursuers away.

Or, were I to sacrifice them, and live myself, the question is a variable based upon many extenuating circumstances not stated in my original thread?

I would die to save my family, meaning any way to save them, whether to sacrifice myself in leading others away, or sacrifice them by losing the love of family because my walking away saved them.

Situation dictates tactics, tactics dictates outcome, outcome dictates survival.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I agree and concur with your logic.

To lead loved ones on a trip which they might slow you down, thereby killing all of you because of this, is illogical, because they will only guarantee all of you die.

Leading predators away from loved ones, no matter who the predators were, might be a better choice, depending on the size of the group, and as well how intelligent they were.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Amen.

Well said and well stated.

Whether you read quickly or not, your first answer was an honest one, and so was the second one.

There is no correct or incorrect answer, only what you as an individual would do, my choices might differ, and other ATS'ers answers might differ as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Selfishness can be based on perception though.

What if they thought your choice was selfish?

Survival is important, on this I can agree, but what of the survival of the family unit?

This is something that should be discussed, and I have with my significant other, who suffers from MS, and can't walk for long periods of time, even if it is just in the grocery store. He would want me to survive knowing he wouldn't, and I the same.

I understand your thought on perception, I think, because if truth be known, I don't think anybody knows for sure what they will do, until confronted in a situation.

A question for you. If you were with a group of people (relatives) in a bad fire where there was only one exit, would you try to get them all out, or would you be stepping over all of them to get to the one exit, knowing that not everyone would not make it out?

I do believe self preservation comes to the forefront in some situations, no matter who you are with.

Survival of the family unit is very important, but if only 1 or a few can go on to live, leaving a few behind, then that is better than all of them parishing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join