It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How literally do you actually take the bible?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo__

A roman emperor,to appease his christian and pagan subjects.Took
the pagan holidays and gave them christian names.Example:Easter!
Easter is pagan!It's an ancient fertility rite,it occurs around the same
time as pentecost.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sr_robert1
reply to post by moocowman

No, I don't consider what I believe in to be a religion. Really, I don't see what your beef is with Christians and religion. I do have a question though. What about Hindus and Buhddists and Muslims? Do you refer to them as Xdus, Xists, and Xlims? You could be a religionist, which is no better than a racist. What about Christian's rights too? What about the Christian Americans? People get bent out of shape for talking bad about muslims and tv shows won't even touch the topic, but I guess it's just the norm to make fun of Christianity though right?

The muslims will kill anyone that offends their pagan god allah!
Plus,they have all that oil we need for our cars!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

The muslims will kill anyone that offends their pagan god allah! Plus,they have all that oil we need for our cars!

That was quite funny lol

The last muslim I spoke to insisted that Allah and Yahwhe are one and the same but Allah is not jesus.

He also insisted that he wouldn't try to kill me for offending his god, I informed him Allah would have to join the ques along with jesus and kill me himself if he's that offended.

Needless to say, I am still alive and allah is still imaginary.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Any church founded, after an angelic visitation, is false.This includes
the mormons as well as the muslims.Allah,is not God's name.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

sorry 'bout that. my vocabulary got ahead of the rest of my brain. i read it and it doesn't make sense to me either. but you must've gotten the gist of it cause you did respond as if you understood it. which begs the question: did you or didn't you understand it?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

well, al'lah is probably named after yahweh. it's rather complicated but goes something like this:

YAHWEH is ENLIL
ENLIL is LIL
LIL is IL
IL is EL
EL is AL

provided the name is not preceeded by a B or a BA'. when it's preceeded by a B or a BA' it's typically a later reference to the water/earth god, ENKI, who seems to be the foundation for the biblical serpent in the garden.
although at some point in their history, al'lah was claimed to be a moon god, that was not actually correct. at least, not unless yahweh was and yahweh wasn't a moon god to the best of my knowledge. he was LORD of everything in the sky, including the heavens and the atmosphere.

remember the word for god or the god word, as i call it, continued on in mesopotamia, long after the people who would become the tribe of judah, had left the area.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Don't be so ridiculous that's the same as saying a fairy grotto founded after the fairy queen died is not a fairy grotto.

Did you miss the bit where there is equal evidence for Allah, Zeus and Yoda as there is for yahwhe ?

What's your beef with the mormon brothers ? The last time I read the book of mormon they were well into worshiping jesusyahwhe god.

Who gave you the monopoly on invisible men in the sky? More fitting you proved the reality of your own deity before you go around denouncing others, your effectively an atheist like me you don't believe their god is exists as much as I do. The only real difference between us is that I don't believe your god exists either.

One would assume you don't take the bibles literally so they are open to what you call faith which is believing something not requiring evidence. So if the Mormons muslims etc have the same amount of faith as you then your all right.

Actually in truth I'm somewhat a little bias toward mormons, the overwhelming majority that I've met have been really nice people, totally deluded of course but really nice.

I read their books and they did my garden, vacuuming laundry etc, my then wife was very pleased at the deal I struck up. Needless to say I had lots of sex for quite some time, everyone was on a winner.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Textsorry 'bout that. my vocabulary got ahead of the rest of my brain. i read it and it doesn't make sense to me either.

Which reminds me of this lol --

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

You are a sick puppy!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

oh touche'!

and now, for something a bit more realistic!

moral of the story: giving up booze can save your life! (prayer doesn't hurt either)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Really? Rather a bold statement, wouldn't you say? And who determines which religion is 'the right one?'

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

You are a sick puppy!

Woof, considering the way you initially responded in this thread, you leave me disappointed with your rebuttal.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

LOL, that was pretty good once upon a time I would have related to that scene very well lol.

We could do this for a very long time you know what a wonderful thing the internet is.

You reminded me of something when you wrote this -

al'lah was claimed to be a moon god, that was not actually correct. at least, not unless yahweh was and yahweh wasn't a moon god to the best of my knowledge.

I don't have time to go through my bookshelf at the mo but perhaps you may have some thoughts or references on the subject of, a split amongst the hebrews over moon worship.

I'm really scraping the back of my cranium at the mo in regards to this but I recall something somewhere discussing the likelihood of moon worship at Petra.

I'll root around my brain later.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   

oh i'm sure they had lots of splits over whether they were going to worship their ancestoral god, yahweh, or the god(s) of their captors. there's many such examples in the bible, in fact.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by avant-garde
reply to post by Eight

It doesn't.

Lilith was made before Eve

You are the first person to repeat this besides me. Very good!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

oh i'm sure they had lots of splits over whether they were going to worship their ancestoral god, yahweh, or the god(s) of their captors. there's many such examples in the bible, in fact.

Indeed, I'm more inclined to the view of Art and Lois Banta, that these so called "Hebrews" were a mixed bunch of Atenians reestablishing themselves following the reestablishment of Amun et al.

It would go far to explain the castes of the population and the wealth they carried with them. The disagreements over deities viewed in the light of Ays' destruction of Tell El Armana would appear to be the continuation of the Egyptian theme.

It would appear that the origin of Monotheism lay with Amenhotep IV which is well documented, sometime later it seems the Aten is transformed into yahwhe which as you pint out is El.

I can only surmise that El was taken on as a pseudo name in Babylon by a small group of Atenians in order to disguise thier true origins.

However for me, this still does not account for the rather curious oddities of Amenhotep IVs' wayward cult and androgynous self representation. Genesis does seem to give us a clue albeit buried in symbolism when the Elohim create man in their likeness both mail and female etc.

I can't help feeling that there's a link between Abraham Amenhotep III and Thutmoses IV, Perhaps Abraham was a Hyksos chief who's own religious bent may have influenced Thutmoses.

What a natty old jigsaw to piece together eh ?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It has always amused me that people use literal interpretations of some parts of The Bible to support some parts of their belief and interpretations of other parts to support themselves.

Because of this I think that whilst The Bible is a cracking story and read it can not be taken seriously when offered as a source to support any given viewpoint.

However, I must thank moocowman and undo for some very informative information and for providing further avenues for me to study.

[edit on 16/9/09 by Freeborn]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknessFollows

Really? Rather a bold statement, wouldn't you say? And who determines which religion is 'the right one?'

no one can determine what religion is the right one, because religion is based on a mythical being...it's a false arguement.

that like saying which easter bunny is the right one...the pink one or the white one.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It's a great read, a wonderful story and has all the ups and downs of the Greek tragedies and has some interesting historical relevance. (though the whole so and so begat so and so gets a bit yawn inspiring, as does the description of the rituals related to the temple worship of that day, down to the color of robes and the who can go where in the temple, who can eat what on which day, etc.).

It is also responsible for some of the most heinous crimes ever committed by humanity against humanity (Well, in all fairness, its not the book that's responsible - but the greedy, power-mongering SOBs who have used it as a contrivance to control others for centuries).

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

you might be surprised to know that i am a christian, and that i believe the old testament contains many valuable pieces of information. there's a few serious mistranslations but if you go to the original hebrew, chaldean and aramaic, it's a real eye opener.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join