It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going through another duststorm right now!! Pics Here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Gday all. Im experiencing another nice desert dust storm here in Woomera. Currently its 31.8C and the humidity is 0%. The winds are up at 30 knots gusting to 40 knots plus. Everything has an orange hue about it...and I cant see the sky

So here's some images for those interested, including the latest Vis satellite image. (If you start at the centre of Australia and follow a line to the South East you will see a big cloud...which Im currently under)

All shots taken from Woomera Met Office (apart from the satellite image which was taken from space
)

More images to come real soon

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Jeeez! Glad i'm in California!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
And I'm glad to be in muggy Florida! Great pics, Oz! Keep 'em comin'!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Its actually worse than the pictures let on...when i was outside all i was breathing in was dust

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
doesnt seem so bad
you should see the snow storms in russia
can see your hand in front of your face.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Man! That's scary looking, OZ. Does that mess with your a/c and other household systems? I think I'd want to be wearing a PAPR or at least a half-face respirator (magenta cartridge -- dusts, mists, radionucleides and radon daughters).

NO, radon daughters are not shapely.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Poor roos! How do they cope with dust storms such as the one your
going through right now.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618
doesnt seem so bad
you should see the snow storms in russia
can see your hand in front of your face.

Like I said its worse than it looks. Its only a mild dust storm anyway...but enough to make everything dusty, and enough to completely obscure the sky.

We do get worse dust storms but Ive only been here a few months and havent gone through one that bad yet.

0% humidity is a pretty big deal by the wasy...its so low I cant even calculate dew point!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
And I thought the drought here in North Carolina was bad a couple of years ago!

How badly is this wiping out your top soil? The dust bowl era in the USA wiped out a lot of good farmland by removing topsoil. Is that a problem in your area too?

Hope you get decent rain soon.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Man! That's scary looking, OZ. Does that mess with your a/c and other household systems? I think I'd want to be wearing a PAPR or at least a half-face respirator (magenta cartridge -- dusts, mists, radionucleides and radon daughters).

NO, radon daughters are not shapely.

Its not a severe dust storm but everything is getting a slight dusty finish, lol. I think its affecting the weather watch radar though...its got a lot of inteference on it.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Whiner. On Mars the dust storms cover the hemisphere.

Do people actually live out there even when it's not blowing?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Remember working in Kambalda south of Kalgoolie. Doing Nickel mining use to get huge dust storms all the time. Usually ended up going to the pub and having a few beers and watching the skimpy girls.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
wow, thanks for the ics OZ.
reminds me of the many dust storms in the black rock desert at burning man.

make sure to clean your air filter in your car often.
and of course, post more pics!

thank you!!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Skimpy girls?

oohh...skimpily clad girls?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Poor roos! How do they cope with dust storms such as the one your
going through right now.

Not sure?

They probably hide in a ditch somewhere. Same with the emu pack that lioves around Woomera, I bet they have their heads in their feathers, lol

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Haudi Oz

Im your neighbour -ish...(kalgoorlie)! and we have been coping wind for last 2 days stronger than usual but I will quit complaining about my hayfever now that Ive seen your place!

Hope all is well

have a great day

themuse

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
And I thought the drought here in North Carolina was bad a couple of years ago!

How badly is this wiping out your top soil? The dust bowl era in the USA wiped out a lot of good farmland by removing topsoil. Is that a problem in your area too?

Hope you get decent rain soon.

Yeah we dont have much top soil left

We are in the desert here, yet only 180km's from the ocean...yet we always seem to miss out on the rain. Its possible we might get some over the next couple of days though as a cold front comes through sunday evening

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oz,
We used to get storms like that in Western Kansas in the US during the spring planting. They plow up the fields and then is dries out. It's constantly windy in western Kansas so it looks just like your pictures. We get lightning from the static electricity generated by the dust also. Really strange at dusk with the colors produced!
Zindo

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Whiner. On Mars the dust storms cover the hemisphere.

Do people actually live out there even when it's not blowing?

Smartass

Its actually so dry here, that nobody in the organisation knows what to do about the dewpoint??? Even the senior guys?

It look like this is the first tiome this has ever happened... 0% humidity in hot weather

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Dewpoint is undefined!
No water vapor, so no condensation. That's just weird. You'd better get out the hand sling.

[edit on 9/11/2009 by Phage]

[edit on 9/11/2009 by Phage]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join