It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet found that defies the laws of physics

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dae
More evidence to suggest that we live in an electrical universe as opposed to one governed by gravity and "dark matter".

Could you explain this a little more?

How does the electric model of the universe explain and predict the existence of this planet better than the current model?

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Those photographs are NOT pictures of WASP 18b. With our current technology it is not possible to see or photograph an extra-solar planet.

Every extra-solar planet ever discovered was not discovered by being "seen", but rather through indirect means, such as by detecting the wobble in a star, or by detecting the slight dimming of a star due to the planet passing in front of it.

Perhaps someday we will be able to "see" and photograph extra-solar planets, but we can't do it yet.

...and, by the way, the second picture you posted that you said was titled "Sulphate and Clay" is a picture of Mars -- specifically it is a picture taken near Gale Crater on Mars.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
reply to post by jinx880101

Those photographs are NOT pictures of WASP 18b. With our current technology it is not possible to see or photograph an extra-solar planet.

Every extra-solar planet ever discovered was not discovered by being "seen", but rather through indirect means, such as by detecting the wobble in a star, or by detecting the slight dimming of a star due to the planet passing in front of it.

Perhaps someday we will be able to "see" and photograph extra-solar planets, but we can't do it yet.

...and, by the way, the second picture you posted that you said was titled "Sulphate and Clay" is a picture of Mars -- specifically it is a picture taken near Gale Crater on Mars.

Ahhmmm. Yes we can !

Discover

Astrobiology Magizine

Esciencenews

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Xeven]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Yes. My mistake...thanks

I now remember that picture of the Fomalhaut planet taken last year -- however, I don't recall the other one mentioned (HR 8799).

So it ma be true that we have perhaps caught glimpses of a planet as a faint dot of light, but my contention still stands about the photos from the post by jinx880101.

There are scientists working everyday towards being able to routinely image extra-solar planets, and someday they will be able to. But as shown by the article in your first link, the fact that we can even see a planet as a faint dot is huge news.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I agree that is not a picture of WASP. I added another link to another picture of 3 planets around one star.

Maybe someday we can get a picture of far off planets as good as the one in this thread but not yet.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
I know making up laws makes us think we understand, but it amuses me when we write things down and state 'this is it'.

I am sure there are quite a few things out there that defy our 'laws of gravity' simply because out laws of gravity are incomplete (not necessarily wrong, but we don't have ALL the data to have ALL the laws).

As we learn and make technological advancements I am sure we will be re-writing/adding/amending.

It's a big place we live in and we don't know a lot in reality.

As my signature states, not long ago we thought the earth was flat (t'was the law and if you didn't agree you were stupid - or a heretic).

Long may we continue learning.

Actually you are wrong, there is no evidence ever to suggest anyone has ever thought the Earth was flat, that is just a myth.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Goes to show you the "laws" of physics it breaks aren't "laws" like we though huh?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

That we were right 1500 years ago after all?

ah, same principle, who know who knows what the future will look like and it is just a matter of if we are capable maintaining a longer period of relative "internal" (human) stability to continuous develop and keep on feeding our collective hunger for knowledge and information to find the "truth", if it does exists....

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysQuestion
As my signature states, not long ago we thought the earth was flat (t'was the law and if you didn't agree you were stupid - or a heretic).

That's not true. It was common knowledge that the earth was spherical for millennia -- over 2000 years.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I don't think that this is thought of as common knowledge today. I agree with you and there is evidence that ancient civilizations did know Earth was a spheroid shape, amongst other things.

Evidence seems to show that at one time every civilization around the world knew much about astronomy and other sciences. At some point in ancient history up until about 2k years ago most of this knowledge was somehow forgotten. In resent history until now we have been rediscovering a lot of what has been lost.

This describes knowledge as having somewhat a cycling effect meaning our past can teach us about the future which gives a new meaning to 'Astrology' in my opinion.

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Devino]

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Devino]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
But that does not mean that the laws of physics are being defied, it means there's just one more thing we don't know about.

Perhaps a better phrase to have been used couldve been...planet defies all known laws of physics

I agree with Phage, if you are going to defy the laws of physics, you would have to prove that all the laws were incorrect and all known science up to this point was complete BS. So far though, we have only managed to prove things. If this planet spirals into its star, then I guess its just one more thing to add to the others.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
it boggles my head to think of it, a planet ten times the size of Jupiter but then it shouldn't since i've recently learned of the Blue and the Red Superstar.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join