It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark Facility - Nymindegab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When staying on holiday in Denmark i saw a large apprently abondoned military facility non the outskirts of the town of Nymindegab (pronounced Nu-min-de-gab).
There was a main rail line running straight into it, going across the road. Does anyone here know what it was for? All along the western coast of jutland were many pillboxes, obviously WW2, and many other fortifications and buildings. Does ayone have any nformation about any of these locations? BTW, there is a huge exercise ground near these places to.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Any Danes here on ATS? Any of you know anything about this?

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yeah im from Denmark... Im pretty sure that the compound you saw was a leftover from WW2.The area arround Nymindegab was a keypoint under in the defence of jutlands coast

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
BTW the large exercise ground is known as "Oksb�l". A large area where the danish army use live ammo...

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Tak windwalker. The base was definitely disused, as the railway line running into it is used for the famous 'Trolley Cycles' (in england we'd call them 'Railway bikes') which you can hire.

Is this related? Danish Home Guard Training School (scroll down)

. On the east coast are the VLTJ (Vemb-Lamvig-Thybor�n Jernbane) - with some goods traffic remaining - and the VNJ (Varde-N�rre Nebel Jernbane or "Vestbanen"). This has a heavy, is irregular, goods traffic, mainly because it works two government (i.e. military) lines; an extension from N�rre Nebel to Nymindegab and a branch to Oksb�l Syd.

quote source
Clickable denmark map Can even show historic map.

and on a seperate subject www.sufoi.dk...

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Found some maps of the area

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
heres a zoomed in one

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I've been to Denmark a few times and seen bunkers near or on beaches. I asked a friend and she said they were defences from WWII.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I can guarantee the base is abandoned... I checked about the railways.. They were established in the 50's, and their purpose was to transport heavy artillery and armor. When the cold war ended, so did the railway along with a number bunkers and other military facilities along the coast and in southern Denmark.

Yes, the danish home guard use the westcoast alot, especially old bunkers, railways for training etc.

But it is for sure not a active part of the danish defence.

[Edited on 19-5-2004 by WindWalker]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I can guarantee the base is abandoned... I checked about the railways.. They were established in the 50's, and their purpose was to transport heavy artillery and armor. When the cold war ended, so did the railway along with a number bunkers and other military facilities along the coast and in southern Denmark.

Yes, the danish use the westcoast alot, especially old bunkers, railways etc.

But it is for sure not a active part of the danish defence.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the information windwalker. I read somewhere the railway line was built by the geramans in ww2 with pows for labour.
I know that in the cold war the two places expected to fall to a soviet attack were the northern and southern flanks of europe, the northern being Denmark, so thhe base was probably located because of that too.

BTW, you double posted.

new topics

top topics

join