It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: How to kill and prepare chickens.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
Large Chicken Restraint Kill Cone Funnel Galvanized
[edit on 22-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

That looks almost exactly like what my friend has, only he made his with some sheet metal he bought. Another thing we did was stop feeding/watering the birds 12hrs before we slaughtered-made the guts less messy. Obviously this wouldn't work with wild birds, but for ones you're raising I think it's a great idea.

I did find a video on youtube on field dressing a rabbit. Seeing an animal skinned turned out to be a bit more, hmm I don't know the best word for it, disturbing than I thought it would be. It's a good video though. Would it be ok to post the link here; or would that be thread hijacking? The guy does make one joke, but he apologizes for it and admits it's morbid. There are probably better videos out there, but this one was easy for me to understand the process as a novice.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla
Alright John, now I know first hand how to catch and make a fish into food, now I have a great idea how to do the same with small birds, how about a similar video showing maybe rabbits, and maybe one for large game like deer?

Deer hunting season is coming. I'll see what I can do. Ole Ken there hunts deer every fall, so it might work out. A black bear would be cool too....400 or 500 punder.....LOL.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Also, all that blood?
It draws flies and scavengers. NOT a good thing.

Them would be large flies with fir coats up there in Canada eh?

Bet ya never knew Canada had red necks like that, eh.

Ya know why Canadians always say eh?

Spell Canada out loud: C eh N eh D eh.

Now ya know eh?

On a more serious note, thanks for dropping by and leaving a few

comments. Much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by preparanoid

JohnMatrix:
Thanks for posting this. Couldn't be better timing, I just got 20 chickens a few weeks back, almost half are roosters. We are planning to butcher most, but it's been years. This is a good refresher.
s&f
gb,
~prep

Thank you. I am going to sleep well tonight, knowing that someone was helped out.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

Find something on tanning the deer hides to go with that video, please.....We might need to make some buckskin into clothes or blankets......wall-hangings or rugs would be good too.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by usernamechallenged

Being able to sanitize after is important.
That's why there galvanized steel.

I remember the process from when I was kid going out to the farm.
Plus I got to work in a chicken processing plant for a little while so I have direct experience with the farm and the large scale commercial methods.
keeping things sanitary is important.
In the wild,what you do with the "left overs" is very important because if you leave a mess,your attracting bugs and predators.

Learning how to look for disease is something we should all know as well.

On the kill line,live hanging was the worst when it involved turkeys.

Here's A great little blog on another way to process for everyone.
How To Butcher A Chicken

“We did 225 chickens, 55 ducks, and 12 turkeys this year. It wouldn’t have been possible if not for the Whizbang. THANKS!!!!!”

The Deliberate Agrarian

A lot of useful information and links there.
I'll see if I can find something on diseases for every one.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I have seen chickens get their heads cut off on my Grandparents farm when I was a very small child, thought it horrible, couldn't get through the video, having said that I grew up on home raised chickens, I don't think the general public knows what it's suppose to taste like, when I go North to visit my Uncle who is 87 and still raises his own chickens, always gives me two frozen stewing chickens to bring home and tons of things from his garden..my father who is 89 still grows a big garden and cans everything, I did too growing up, my eyes are still watering from chopping onions for chili sauce..lol Having said all that I know how to grow a garden and preserve food, not hard.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join