It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: How to kill and prepare chickens.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

i've done a few rabbits, but no video.

Yea nothing like a good deer or elk steak to fill the belly.
Although for mulie's you could just walk up and club them.. not the brightest of deer. *lol*

I know a guy... *lol* one year he though he was sneaky.. he fed the deer apples out of a bucket, started with putting a apple on the ground, then slowly over time got the deer use to him enough they were eating out of his bucket.. come hunting season he took his bucket and tag out side and a hammer... yup, you guessed it... filled his tag... although when the game warden found out about it, he was not to happy. *lol*
Something about baiting.... *lol*.. he still has a few years before he can hunt, but in a sitx could be a option, keep the critters well fed and they will stick around... hammer would not scare the others off to far.

Not something i would do normaly, still cant belive he did and didnt realise he was doing something wrong.. but in a survival situation, may not be a bad idea.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thank you all for your kind replies, flags, and stars. Hopefully more how to vids will be coming.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I would honestly love a whole series of videos like this. I can guarantee you, most people nowadays have to google for instructions just to tie their own shoes, let alone to brush up on some useful skills such as this.

My Grandfather who's passed away now knew all of this stuff and showed me quite a bit, but since moving to the city about a decade ago my skills have really dulled in these areas. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing a few videos about properly cleaning fish and maybe some hunting stuff as well.

Well-done, interesting, and relevant - thanks and can't wait for more.

[edit on 10/9/09 by Evasius]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

I have hunted, gutted, skinned and eaten animals, i have stretched the neck of chickens (my preferred method) and i find this video distrubing. Not because of the chickens dying but the jokes being made and the laughter being had.

If you're going to kill and eat something then have a measure of respect for it.

Anyway yes breaking the necks is better imo, just as fast with less chance of injuring yourself.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm not okay with the method of killing the chicken and then letting it flop around headless. My experiences with live fowl have been to have the neck broken in one quick move, then chop the head off and allow the chicken to drain completely, then the hot water to remove the big feathers, following by a quick roasting on the entire bird to burn off the remaining feathers and down before preparing it any further.

still it's a good video especially for those not familiar with the process.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
HA good vid. All I could think of was Rick Moranis in "Strange Brew" while I was watching that!

We raise chickens for meat & eggs. I'm not a huge fan of the axe & chopping block method. The spasms that come afterward force adrenaline through their system which can alter the flavor, not to mention all the flopping around and bruising the meat. We butcher about 30 chickens a year.

I recommend hanging them up by their feet and slit the jugular vein at the throat, try not to cut through the windpipe. The vein is on the right side of the neck, best place to cut is right below the jawline. They will bleed out and die in a couple minutes and usually won't even realize it's happening, no flopping around. Chickens pretty much pass out when you hang them upside down anyways. This method leaves virtually no blood left in the body and better tasting meat.

Also the hot water he dunked it in to make the feathers come out easier (the process is called scalding) should NOT be boiling. ~150 degrees is about right.

Also, the dressed birds should be placed in plastic bags or even better, a bowl of salt water, in the fridge for 12-24 hours at least before cooking for the best taste.

Birds < 1 year old are pretty tastey for frying or baking in the oven. Older than a year and they are pretty tough, especially the roosters. Good for soup or chicken & noodles.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Damn, that was a really good and informative video.

That guy is really good at explaining what he is doing and why.

I hope he makes more similar videos. Does anybody know of similar videos for surviving cold weather climates?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wow, looks like I missed a few responders. I want to thank everyone for their responses and apologize to those that find it offensive. I should have put a warning in the opening post. I'll convey a message on to the producer so he can also put a warning in the beginning of the video.

People often joke around to get their mind off of difficult tasks.....It's some people's way of coping....I know I am sometimes like that myself when having to cope with something I don't really like doing.

Most people so far have found it very informative, and have responded favorably to the light heartedness of the farmer. He is a jolly chap and makes a great Santa Clause at Christmas time.

[edit on 14/9/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Alright John, now I know first hand how to catch and make a fish into food, now I have a great idea how to do the same with small birds, how about a similar video showing maybe rabbits, and maybe one for large game like deer?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

This brought up one of my childhood memories. As a military brat I was raised on bases all over the world, of course I didn't see chickens raised or killed in this setting, but during the summers I would get to spend a couple of weeks in north GA with my aunt and uncle, each morning I got up there would be chickens with no head on them walking around the yard. I asked what they were and was told they were chickens. So for years I had never seen one WITH a head, and when I did, I screamed and ran, I was terrified of it, and it's menacing beak!!! I am still afraid of them!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I'm a city girl, but recently my friend has let me raise chickens on his farm. We had to slaughter our first batch last week. From my perspective it was a little scary actually. My friend uses a funnel looking thing to stick the chickens in and then cuts the heads off. We hung them up to drain the blood, but they never flopped around like in that video, maybe because they where upside down in the funnel thingy. He gave me potato cleaning gloves to pull the feathers out after scolding and it went fast, like blink of an eye fast. Those are some of the best tasting birds I've ever eaten, and can't wait till the next batch is ready. This video was great. Thanks for posting it, though it would have shocked my panties off if I hadn't killed my own birds last week
I'd never even touched a live chicken until about 8 weeks ago. S&F

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

I'm not okay with the method of killing the chicken and then letting it flop around headless. My experiences with live fowl have been to have the neck broken in one quick move, then chop the head off and allow the chicken to drain completely,

Absolutely.
No need for all the mess and gore - IMO this guy is just reliving his childhood days when prepubescent males thought it was 'cool; to watch the birds flop around.

There’s absolutely NO respect for the animal in that - and - to trash the head is needless waste - it's one of the best parts of the whole bird.

Also, all that blood?
It draws flies and scavengers. NOT a good thing.

One method, that is much easier on the bird is to hold the bird upside-down until it relaxes, then quickly twist it’s neck and break it.

Or - (using a broomstick) - place the bird gently on ground with the broomstick over the back of it’s neck, stand on the broomstick, on either side of the head (gently, just enough to keep the bird’s head trapped) then, when you’re ready put your full weight on the birds neck and give a huge yank - as hard as you can - on the birds legs.

No flopping, no making fun of an animal that is going to feed your family, no bloody mess, and no ‘Ayup, look at ‘im goo, look at ‘im gooo’... (Grrrr)...

Two birds freshly killed and bled out and notice something? No mess.

The heads, stripped of feathers, pan fried and eaten fresh.

Plate of heads, feet and *doodles* (the comb on top of the head) - Best parts of the bird.

For the feet?
Heat a pan of water to a roiling boil.
Put in only a pair of feet at a time for only about 30 seconds.
Immediately *peel* the *scales* from the feet, leaving the underlying skin.
Cook as desired.

NOTE TO OP: Thanks for the video, and thanks for helping to educate people.

I just hope people don’t forget that even in times of trouble and need, when we might have to revert back to laving how our *grandparents* did instead of running down to KFC, people wont forget to have respect for an animal as wonderful as a chicken - or any other animal we use for food.

peace

[edit on 21-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

jokes being made and the laughter being had.

I have to admit that bothered me too, and I have cleaned plenty fish and game in my life.

One should be reverent and thankful, setting animal spirit free.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by worldwatcher

Plate of heads, feet and *doodles* (the comb on top of the head) - Best parts of the bird.

For the feet?
Heat a pan of water to a roiling boil.
Put in only a pair of feet at a time for only about 30 seconds.
Immediately *peel* the *scales* from the feet, leaving the underlying skin.
Cook as desired.

Really dumb city girl question, how do you handle the beaks and claws, just tear them off as well? Also, how do you eat the skull? I'm just curious, because if I can get more out of my chickens I'm going to-waste not, want not.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Ahhh. Just in time for Kaparrot!

One thing required before you kill the chicken, is that you put your hands on it's head and confess all your sins so that they transfer onto the bird.

Then you swing the bird over your head three times and say a prayer like this "Thank you god for not killing me even though I should be the one to die for all the bad things I have done. I put my evil on the chicken with my own hands. So let the chicken take the blame. Amen."

Then you kill the chicken.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is a great thread. I was a country girl growing up, but have been citified for 30 years.

I really needed this video as a tutorial, because knowing what needs to be done, and knowing how to do it are two different things.

I appreciate the feed back of the other members. Helps me with my feeling bad about killing the chicken. I think I prefer the broken neck first tact.

Now, (and I am serious about this) does anyone have good directions on frying chicken? I am totally out of touch with this. Boil it, saute it, bake it, I'm fine, my fried chicken is tough and never tastes like my Mom's or Grandma's. And after all isn't enjoying the food an important part of survival? Take pity on me please.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by usernamechallenged

Really dumb city girl question, how do you handle the beaks and claws, just tear them off as well? Also, how do you eat the skull? I'm just curious, because if I can get more out of my chickens I'm going to-waste not, want not.

Not dumb at all - I learned this only ten years ago when I moved to Sicily.

You have a choice.

Cook the heads whole or use a sharp paring knife and cut the beaks off ahead of time.
As for the heads once you’ve cooked them?
They break open easily to eat the insides, eyes etc.
I admit, I tried this.
I also admit I wasn’t thrilled.
But, I will not throw it away, I still cook it and will boil it right down if there’s no one around who wants the *tasty parts*.

The toe-nails, lol, the claws, well, I have to admit, even with the ton of respect I have for the chickens - the *claws* are really amazingly cool.

They twist off nicely if you've heated up the foot enough in the boiling water like I directed for *peeling* the scales.

When dried they're really beautiful (the claws) to use in art work.

They look rather beastly too!

I wonder how many *monster claws* are out there painted and hung around someone's neck that are really chicken toes!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My Grandmother made sure I learned how to dress a chicken when I was tall enough to reach her sink!

She used a large bucket to put them under so they wouldn't flop around and get bruised.....and the dogs were usually hungry too, ( and the cats...there's a long story that goes with that..) so they were not allowed to get that close! Any that I dress now are hung to drain (out of the dog's reach...once it's his, it's his.)

When one cuts the backside to pull out the intestines, care should be taken to NOT cut or puncture the colon .....I cut the pucker loose before I pull all the intestines out.....if you got poop on the bird, you were in big trouble with Grandma!

She also 'singed' off the fine hairy feathers that were left after plucking. She'd light a piece of twisted up newspaper, and run the flame quickly back and forth along the bird, then brush off any bits of crisped feather that were left.

It always makes me a bit humble to kill one I've raised, and as others have mentioned, I too believe in saying a prayer of thanks for and to the animal.

The part of the video that AMAZED me????.......I've NEVER, EVER seen a MAN do this chore!!....

[edit on 21-9-2009 by frayed1]

[edit on 21-9-2009 by frayed1]

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here's another method for butchering a chicken in a hurry.

This method applies to all birds really and is easier in the "wild".

It's better to bleed out the bird.. something to do with bruising.
Plus you can hang a cone to restrain the bird over a container of some sort. ie a wheelbarrow with future compost in it.
Large Chicken Restraint Kill Cone Funnel Galvanized

Here is the tutorial.
How to butcher a chicken in 20 minutes or less...
...while leaving the carcass and feathers intact!

[edit on 22-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
JohnMatrix:
Thanks for posting this. Couldn't be better timing, I just got 20 chickens a few weeks back, almost half are roosters. We are planning to butcher most, but it's been years. This is a good refresher.
s&f
gb,
~prep

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join