It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls Islam 'Great Religion' at Ramadan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday praised American Muslims for enriching the nation's culture at a dinner to celebrate the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. "The contribution of Muslims to the United States are too long to catalog because Muslims are so interwoven into the fabric of our communities and our country," Obama said at the iftar, the dinner that breaks the holiday's daily fast.

Obama praises Islam friends at Ramadan dinner.

Obama has made a special effort since taking office to repair U.S. relations with the world's Muslims, including visits to Turkey and Cairo. In a June speech at the Egyptian capital, as well as in one to another important Muslim audience, in Turkey, Obama said: "America is not -- and never will be -- at war with Islam."

Doesn't this make you feel warm and fuzzy?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Yes especially since he refused to attend the national day of prayer. I guess there were too many christians involved. I thought he would be a stealth muslim and this all but confirms it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Seriously Foxnews.com?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Stealth muslim. Really?

Are you familiar with Islam, at all?

Maybe he's just pandering, again. I've told people quite a few times, that Obama is the greatest panderer that I have ever seen in my life.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think it is a door that he should have never went through. If he does not recognize any of the other religions or religious days there is going to be an outcry from alot of people.
I can see stating we are not at war with Islam, but to outright state that it is a Great Religion is just going a bit far.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
A leader of a country is a good leader (imo) when he respects those who he leads. I believe a leader can accomplish more good in general with universal respect of citizens.

This is a form of him respecting islamist's, part of the population of which he leads.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guru97
Seriously Foxnews.com?

You dispute the quotes?

I guess you think its being biased.

Nope can't be. Here is a quote from the article.

"White House dinners marking the holy month are nothing new. Former President George W. Bush held iftars during his eight years in office"

So what exactly do you find funny about this article or was it that you just opened up the link, saw foxnews.com and didn't bother at all to read the article?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Of course I read the article. However, like Wiredamerican stated I think it's showing respect and courtesy to anothers relegion. Fox (IMO) is taking that dinner and quote out of context.

Are we to hate all Muslims or just the extremist?

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Guru97]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well Islam is considered one of the five great world religions , along with Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Bhuddism. His statement could have just been an acknoledgement of that fact and nothing more.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Guru97

They didn't take anything out of context. You are letting your prejudice get the better of you.

They couldn't very well post the whole speech, they just took his main speaking points and posted them.

Here is that same article from a news source you might be more comfortable with. If you say this source is taking a dinner quote out of context then you are beyond reasoning with.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

My good sir, I'm neither Left nor Right. I'm simply saying ( IMO ) those statements were made out of Respect for that relegion nothing more, nothing less. It is my opinion all MSM outlets are Bias in some form.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Guru97

No No

I posted in reply to this.

"Fox (IMO) is taking that dinner and quote out of context"

Now if you believe Fox took this out of context, then you must believe that the Obama butt kissing MSNBC also took it out of context.

You can claim neither left or right all you want, but as I shown, your "IMO" is wrong.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
To me, Obama is only giving an equal platform to all religions in America - seeing the Constitution calls for the State not to endorse one religion or sect (which Christians have been violating)

Us Atheists were even highlighted in his inauguration speech

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I believe that you either give respect to ALL religions as being "Great", or you point out that all of them are scams based on fantasy.

But, you can't pronounce that one is any better than the rest.

They're either ALL GREAT, or they're ALL HOAXES.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou
I believe that you either give respect to ALL religions as being "Great", or you point out that all of them are scams based on fantasy.

But, you can't pronounce that one is any better than the rest.

They're either ALL GREAT, or they're ALL HOAXES.

You can't be serious. Has multiculturalism gotten this insane? Maybe we should resurrect the religion of the Aztecs then and start sacrificing children and slaves to our dark gods?

So these two ideas from two 'great' religions are equally valid?

1) Smite the infidel on the neck.
2) Love your enemies and do good to those who abuse you.

Could it be possible that there is benefit in discriminating our cultural affiliations on the basis of the content of their beliefs? Such a concept is heresy to the insane liberal who asserts equal outcomes and equal validity to all ways of thought, even if it means that you must slaughter a chicken in your back yard to appease an evil spirit. Marx must be served in all ways of thought.

I'll let the multicultural geniuses figure out which statement from 1) and 2) are from Jesus Christ and which statement is from Muhammed.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Can I ask you what reason he gave?

It seems to me that was unforgiveable.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Can I ask you what reason he gave?

It seems to me that was unforgiveable.

I really don't know the reason, but I hear this kind of soft brained thinking all the time. It's like a mantra for the multi-culturalist. I can only conclude that this kind of moral relativism is being shoved down our throats via government controlled education and media.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I live in NZ, so I do not know what is going on in the US, but I DO know that if our Prime Minister praised Islam and refused to attend a prayer meeting, the country would be demanding answers.

So why isn't your country demanding answers?

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

I live in NZ, so I do not know what is going on in the US, but I DO know that if our Prime Minister praised Islam and refused to attend a prayer meeting, the country would be demanding answers.

So why isn't your country demanding answers?

I envy you. I've wanted to move to NZ for quite some time, but I could never convince my spouse. I had heard that NZ has a sizable Islamic population. Are you telling me that your leaders don't try to appease Islam at every possible opportunity? How odd.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Hey Seven,

I have always said that I believe the people who lose the war then move in and quietly take over the country.

We do not bow to Islam, but we have free religion. We bow to nothing.

I think because we have a small population, a lot of countries would like to take us over.

I have to say, although this may cause outrage, that I believe Japan is trying to move in. We have a lot of Japanese. Also, the Pacific Islanders, who have raised our jail rates.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join