It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do It Yourself By Wasting Thousands of Dollars!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I would like to express my feelings about doing it myself. I like to do things myself. So I decided to learn for myself what the big deal with The Secret was (as seen on Oprah). I bought Abraham-Hicks books, Seth books, Quantum theory books, Secrets of Water, and The Divine Matrix and the Pleadian Series of books by Marciniak. Which led to my discovery of Wicca and Paganism.

Wicca by purchasing hundreds of dollars in books on rituals, sabbats, spells, herbalism, theory, mythology, crystals, incense, and magic. I was thrilled to discover all of this information and poured my heart and soul (and pocketbook) into furthering my knowledge in this area.

I bought many of the ritual tools like colored candles, incense and burners, a little cauldron with charcoal disks, various chakra crystals and essential oils, a wicker basket to keep them all in, etc. I did manage to save some money by making my own wand out of a tree branch by whittling it smooth and sanding it. (It is used now to collect spider webs from high ceiling corners
) I tried to make a ritual robe from the pattern in one of the books but, having no success with patterns and sewing, it was a dismal failure.

Realizing that my heart was set on herbalism and natuopathy, I commenced on spending more money on organic gardening books, gardening by the moon books, digests of all sorts. By studying these texts and discovering how much money it also takes to create an organic garden from scratch. So the money flowed outward once again to create my garden and herb patch. The raised beds, soil, amendments, seeds, fertilizer, canning and freezing equipment, a dehydrator and shelves to store everything on.

I decided I wanted to grow and dry my own herbs for use in cooking and healing and spiritual work. So I grew the greatest herb garden I ever saw, with rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, sage, chamomile, lavender, lemongrass, parsely, beebalm, mint, catmint, and as many flowers as I could fit in. I don't even know what the name of some of the flowers are but they attract hummingbirds and butterflies!

Then I decided I wanted to try to make my own paper from scraps of old newspapers, typing paper, construction paper, etc. But once again, the need to spend money came up when I realized that I would have to buy picture frames, screening and a staple gun. Also a tub large enough and deep enough to contain the pulp that would allow me to submerge the frame under the floating pulp.

Not only all the things listed above, I also decided to teach myself through an internet course on how to become a Notary Signing Agent, An Internet Marketer and a Virtual Assistant.

Of all the things I've tried to do myself, (including making bread, crackers, herbal essential oils) none have turned out 100% successfully.

I'm about ready to give up. I can't afford to spend any more money on doing it myself.

Is there anyone on BTS who understands what I'm going through? I hate failure, even though I'm a success at it! :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Been there, done that - and still doing it. Mostly it's just not worth all the trouble, but on the other hand.. not the worst waste of time (like watching tv)? And in the end you learn _something_ useful.

Thank God I' haven't spent so much money as you seem to have, as I've found most of the stuff free from the net. You should definitely use sites like scribd.com or docstoc.com to find your material - and there are tons of others. It's too easy to lost your 'cause' when you start something new and get overhelmed by all the information and different opinions.

Nowadays I myself try to learn to do something that has value for my everyday life (for example growing those vegetables/herbs). There are some things I try to learn just for the Sit-X, but I try to make use of my skills as often as possible, so they won't be in vain if nothing happens. I just came from a 4 day hiking trip. The trip itself was terrible and very un-enjoyable, but I was glad that I could use (and teach) some of the skills I've learned during the years.

I feel your 'pain' but at the same time I have this feeling, you're glad you gave those things a chance. I hope you won't totally quit doing things by yourself, as it can be rewarding as well. Very good rant overall, I wish you all the best with your next 'do it yourself' project.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Outside of the expense, and even though you haven't been 100% in all your new hobbies, it sounds as though you are learning, which is always a good thing. It sometimes takes a lot of trial and error.

Perhaps you should try to learn how to print your own money because of all the expense!

Find which one of the things you have investigated brings you the most joy, and stick to it a while. You will see reusults!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You shouldn't feel so bad as some people spend their lives giving 10% of their income tything to their churches.

I do agree that many are out there to sell books and products and it can be difficult to separate the treasure from the trash.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PilgriMage

For the first time in my life I'm not struggling to survive. I'm not working either. I turned 48 which I'm still coming to terms with. My hair was butchered last year so I've been hibernating.

I've been wracking my brain to figure out what I want out of life. After 2 years, I still don't know.

But I agree, at least I'm trying.
Someday I hope to find what I want and what I am good at. Do you think it ever happens to people that way?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Your reply was so nice to read. You are very encouraging and see the bright side. Thank you for the perspective. It helps.

I don't see why I can't print my own money (on homemade paper!) LOL

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

You have a good point. I don't tithe or even agree with the idea. But you're right. Lots of people do.

I'm not unhappy with any of my purchases but yes, there are those who are out to make the almighty buck above all else and are willing to sucker me if I let them.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
As a High Priestess, I'd like to let you know that anything you really do yourself, anything you put together with your own facilities and whim, is much more powerful thank something you can buy.

As a baker and chef, I can tell you that baking bread, specifically yeast bread, takes a good deal of practice. Same goes for crackers.

As a naturopath, I can tell you that making essential oils isn't that difficult but it also takes practice. As does perfectly drying herbs or flowers naturally.

As an origami hobbyist, I can also tell you that making paper from hand is also a skill that requires a lot of practice. It is also fairly messy, and I prefer to let the experts do it for me and I purchase it at local stores. But there are some great books out there on the topic.

If you need specific help with the bread or crackers or anything culinary, feel free to U2U me. 85% of the time when bread fails it's because of the yeast proofing.

Books are much more helpful than the internet, in my experience, for what you've been attempting.

[edit on 9/1/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I so appreciate your post ravenshadow13. Especially as a high priestess. I'm still a seeker not fully dedicated. Of all of the things I listed in the OP I love working with herbs the most. I feel like a little kid discovering the wonders of the world all over again but there is no "mommy" to reign me in when I get out of control.

The last thing I tried was oatmeal rosemary crackers. They were surprisingly good. The only problem was too much salt. I followed the recipie exactly. Next time, they will be perfect. I hope.

I love making paper. I can add herbs or flowers or scents, make my own sizes, shapes and colors. I've even learned how to add starch to the mix to keep ink from bleeding on the handmade papers. I agree though, it is not easy and is very messy.

The next time I try to make bread, I'll u2u for advice first!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sounds like a plan. I grew up with my mom teaching me all about herbs and spices and how they can heal, so I was just lucky that these things became part of my knowledge base.

With salt, I always put in a little less than required. For something like crackers, you could always do a light egg wash, put some salt on, and stick them back in the oven for a few minutes if they're not salty enough. Also, using salty toppings on them (such as some compound butters or tapenades) can balance it out. I always stick to less with salt.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Pardon me for my ignorance but what are compound butters? Are they like flavored butters? Or butters made from other sources than cow's milk?

I just like to guess at things I've never heard of to see how close I can get. LOL

It would be so nice if you lived near me and we could be friends.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
some stuff are just cheaper done by the workers in the fabrics,some stuff the nwo just wants us to buy,but there are some hobbies,and ways to save money that really work..like lets say homemade liquer..if it dosnt get sour >_

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Are you sticking with a particular thing for a reasonable amount of time?

It takes a while to get reasonably good at something.

Looking from here it seems you may have spread yourself a little thin.

Find an interest you like and stick with it for a while . . . and yes . . . sometimes a lifetime is not long enough.

Ravenshadow13 has good advice.

I especially like what she said and rather than paraphrase, I'll quote.

As a High Priestess, I'd like to let you know that anything you really do yourself, anything you put together with your own facilities and whim, is much more powerful thank something you can buy.

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I love my husband dearly. He is an amazing person (I've never met anyone who didn't genuinely like him) and he's a generous and loving partner and father.

But he is a money sucking, time wasting DIYer.

We once lived in a house for a year and a half with no flooring, just plywood. He did eventually install the most breath-taking cherry floor but only after a I told him I was on the nest, gave him an ultimatum and we paid a small fortune. (Times were good and we were DINKs)

But I'll keep him. He's sexy and he'll come in handy during the zombie apocalypse.

join