It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh Nozes! EcoTerrorists and Their ~ Seed Bombs: Walk-By Guerrilla Gardening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The Link

* Combine 2 parts mixed seeds (Maybe ones from a local solstice seed swap?) with 3 parts compost. (I bet that organic potting soil would work, as well.)

* Stir in 5 parts powdered red or brown clay.

* Moisten with water until mixture is damp enough to mold into balls.

* Pinch off a penny-sized piece of the clay mixture and roll it between the palms of your hands until it forms a tight ball (1 inch in diameter).

* Set the balls on newspaper and allow to dry for 24 - 48 hours. Store in a cool, dry place until ready to sow.

Interesting, very very interesting...

Toss them at will! Please be respectful over other folks’ property, though. It’s a lot tougher to talk to people about green space and guerrilla gardening when they’re angry.

This is a really cool idea for those into guerrilla gardening and the like. I have taken part in guerrilla wildflower seeding around my town and and i always LOVE to see the results. This is a very cool idea, one I look forward to trying out the next time we go around the sun. Enjoy!

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Animal]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Its a great idea.
I don't think it requires all that work though.

This story has given me an idea. I have a ton of "cut flowers" that seed themselves and come back up every year. Instead of just letting them seed themselves in my garden why not collect a bunch of the seeds and then scatter them at will down alleys and in bare spots wherever in the neighbourhood.

I can just see my neighbourhood in a couple of years as these seeds take hold and start reseeding themselves.

Nice idea.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hehehe love the title!

I think it's a great idea, get stuff growing, wherever possible! Amazing!

I've seen this on a TV show it think, where people were planting little lettuces on the sly, and just coming back and taking what they need! It's all in plain sight but not many people have a clue!

I think I'll have to save that seed bomb recipe for next year, and see how things go!

Hooray for living things! Boo on death and desolation!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Some guys did this around here quite a few months ago - they got a bit of bother of some jobs worth from the council - It got into the local rag, hardly any one objected to it but the guerilla side of the idea was kinda shot to pieces by then, (they had their pictures in the paper, piercings and hippy type clothes, they stood out a mile) - last I heard they were getting permission and clearing out specific area and doing a little planned planting in their own time.

Shame really, they should of been a bit more ninja about it...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

actually the results you talk about are the real motivations behind guerrilla gardening, at least ONE of the motivations.

See it is about going out and 'greening' what would otherwise be left, well, un-green as a civic lesson to ones community about beautifying and greening the places in which we live.

Doing so and then being embraced by the community and given a piece of land to take it 'to the next level' is ideal. In this instance their work as guerrillas has lead to an adoption of the ideal by the community as a whole and they were given a canvas on which to further demonstrate this ideal and reach a larger audience.

You see it is only guerrilla because the work is done outside the system, it does not mean that the goals of the actions are not socially oriented.

This is of course IMHO but I think it fits.

Cheers mate.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Great idea. At my restaurant I tell the chef to save all the seeds from when she cuts the vegetables so i.m building a collection.Now i'll make some seed bombs for the next season when it rolls around.Peace, love and understanding.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I love the concept. I have been saving some "very special" seeds of my own to sow outside the municipal court building and police station. Star and Flag.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
*laughs* I am giving you a flag just for the title.

I love the idea.

I have noticed a lot more wildflowers along my highways, wonder if that is someone's work? And it is lovely!

I have also heard of flash mob gardening. They get a hord of people that quickly throw in a garden in like 20 minutes and bolt.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Since food production is going to be a critical issue in the future
I thought I'd throw out an idea. The government seems to own
an awful lot of land, not just national forest and parks but easements
and other areas that are usually planted with grass and sometimes flowers.

Why not let the communities decide what to plant in them? They
could grow veggies or whatever they needed. It would cut costs
on both sides; the government wouldn't have to mow anymore
and the community saves money on food.

Also, rather than incarcerating low-level offenders why not put them
to work on something useful, save jail space and re-integrate them
with their communities in a positive way? Not only that but
communal gardening is a great way for neighbors to bond and get
fresh air and excercise.

Any drawbacks?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I like the idea. If you seed enough edibles, you can prepare for a lot of shtf. And it's hidden in plain sight, most people won't notice anything that's outside of a can or isn't labeled. So you don't even have to have a big storage room.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I think they kinda do this anyways.

Of course the usual thing that ruins everything is that if someone should get hurt or sick then they sue the government. I think that is what prevents a lot of things.

I do know there are some jails where they are teaching the interned how to garden and then cook it. And apparently they are quite enjoying it, and the others are appreciating the new cuisine.

Also in some areas of our city they take the abandoned land that sits between row homes and they turn it into community gardens. I think that is nice.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Kinda cool. I just hope whoever makes these "Gardening Bombs" for either personal use or for distribution purposes keeps in mind that you can do more harm than good if you distribute an invasive species to a native environment which has no natural predation or limit to growth.

Use them wisely. We don't need another "Kudzu" (a.k.a, the Vine that Ate the South) incident on our hands.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is a awesome idea. You could also put seeds in a ballons and set them free. No telling were babies would start to pop up at.

new topics

top topics

join