It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Skills Pt3 - B.O.B w/ links and pictures

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is for anyone concerned about their safety and that of their loved ones
in the event of a natural disaster or martial law.  Shown below is what I have
put together for myself in the case of a real emergency, where living "off the
land" and off the grid are the only option.  This includes nearly everything a
person might need (except food) to survive for several months or longer.

All items have been field tested and were chosen for their quality, weight, size,
cost and usefulness.

At the bottom of the thread there is a list with links for most of the items
shown.

As for firearms I would recommend getting the best quality you can afford.
Pistols should be either 9mm or .45 caliber since pistols are generally for self
defense and not hunting.  Good rifle choices are .22 cal (the Ruger 10/22 with a 4x
scope being my favorite model for small game hunting) or .223 Nato (AR15, M16)
or 7.62x39 caliber (russian SKS and AK-47). The Russian 7.62x39 cartridge has
far better knockdown power than the Nato/US .223 round but is a heavier bullet.
SKS and AK-47 are the best value in rifles, with the SKS being well suited for
women and adolescents as it has a shorter stock.

Shotguns are excellent for close quarter fighting(home defense or brushy areas)
and hunting but shotgun shells are heavy and severely limit the amount one can
carry.  

The .357 magnum, .44 magnum and .40 cal are widely used pistol calibers with
many law enforcement agencies now carrying the .40 cal. as their standard sidearm.
 Also include a gun cleaning kit.  The best addition for any rifle is a quality scope
( waterproof / fogproof ), a night vision scope (uber expensive) and a flash
suppressor.  Make sure your rifle or shotgun has a wide, comfortable shoulder strap.
 A take down bow could also be very good IF - A) you are a very good shot and B)
you can make your own arrows in the wild. 

Item #1, the pocket cooker is a terrific piece of equipment but at 2 lbs is extremely
heavy.   I would include this in my pack only if I were going out into very cold
weather as it is one of the only safe ways to make fire inside a survival shelter.

Without experience most people would try to pack everything with them INCLUDING
the kitchen sink.  It doesn't take a fortune to be prepared just in case things do go
wrong.  It is my sincere hope that you will never have to NEED this pack but in a
real emergency there simply is no substitute nor will there be time to try to put one
together.  At that point it will already be too late.

Here's a pic of my B.O.B. minus clothing and food -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7e1f0df8a5b.jpg[/atsimg]

Thread Continued below

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Items without a link can be found at Army surplus or outdoor stores  (Gander mountain, Cabelas, Dicks sporting goods etc )

Item list - 

Medium A.L.I.C.E. pack      (military surplus)                                                             $20-$40
 Wool blanket converted to Poncho -                                                                           $19.97                                                   www.cheaperthandirt.com...

1- Pocket Cooker    (optional)                                                                                      $12.97                                                   www.sportsmansguide.com...                                      
 2- water Filter, Katadyn hiker model                                                                            $74.97                                                   www.cheaperthandirt.com...
 3- Extra eyeglasses 
 4- Prescription Medications                                                                                              
 5- Potable Aqua tabs                                                                                                    $10
 6- Leatherman tool - many models to choose from.  Buy a quality tool!
  Essential features are blade, can opener, pliers, wire cutters and file
 7- Insect repellant
 8- Hand sanitizer
 9- 9 mm pistol  (customized Tokarev with night sights, Hogue molded rubber grip and extra clip)   
10- Shotshells for small game -                                                                                      $11.49 per10                                      www.cheaperthandirt.com...
11- Non hybrid vegetable seeds - choose easiest to grow for your area -                                                                                 www.southernexposure.com...
12- Mousetraps (2) - yes, for mice!  They will chew through packs and clothing,
       eat you out of house and home then pee in everything they don't eat!  They also carry deadly Hantavirus.
13- Fishing hooks and line
14- Sewing kit
15- First Aid kit - SEE BELOW 
16- Plastic canteen   (2)                                                                                                   $1.95                                                www.imsplus.com...
17- Canteen cup (stainless steel)     (2)                                                                           $7.95                                                www.imsplus.com...
18- Edible Wild Plants book (peterson's field guide)-available used at Amazon.com for  $6
19- Emergency space blanket  (2)                                                                                    $2
20 -Trioxane fuel tabs
21- Gerber sportsman's saw                                                                                            $8.97                                               www.knivesplus.com...
22- Mora knife and sheath                                                                                              $11.97                                               www.sportsmansguide.com...
23- Bic lighter,
      Lansky  field knife sharpener                                                                                     $1.58                                                www.cheaperthandirt.com...  
      Waterproof matches                                                                                                  $6.97                                                 www.sportsmansguide.com...
24- Magnesiun fire starter                                                                                                $9.97                                                www.cheaperthandirt.com...
25- Maglite flashlights with spare batteries                                                                       $8.55                                                www.cheaperthandirt.com...
26- Nylon rain poncho    NO PVC or rubberized                                                             $24.95                                                www.cabelas.com...
27- Bandana
28- Headnet                                                                                                                     $3.34                                                 www.cheaperthandirt.com...
29- Spare socks
30- Cordage 50' each type- parachute cord and spiderwire™
31- Compass                                                                                                                    $8.09                                                  www.cheaperthandirt.com...

NOT SHOWN -
Small Bottle multivitamins
Maps 
6 various size heavy duty ziplock bags
2 waterproof stuff sacks                                                                                    
3 black plastic heavy duty garbage bags
Food  - Dried, several pounds of each -  jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea    (MRE's are too bulky)
Small bottle of salad vinegar - Wild greens are a substantial portion of a foraged diet and a little vinegar goes a long way towards making them more palatable.
Monocular or binoculars
9mm ammuntion  -  100 rounds
Ruger 10/22 rifle with 4x scope - Due to physical limitations, weight is the primary consideration for me. . 22 ammo is very light, so I can easily carry 500 rounds.
 Subsonic ammunition is extremely quiet and I pack 100 rounds of these also.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
B.O.B thread Cont'd -
CLOTHING;
Hat, boonie folding type
Wool watch cap
Gloves
1 set medium weight polypropylene thermal underwear
Spare Clothing - pants, 2 shirts, 2 pr underwear, 2 pr socks, fleece pullover

PERSONAL CARE ITEMS;
Spare pair of eyeglasses
Toothbrush
toothpaste
Soap
Comb or brush
Nail Scissors or clippers
Small mirror

FIRST AID KIT;
Extra prescription medications
Povidine-Iodine wipes
Alcohol Wipes
Antiseptic Cream
Acetaminophin
Aspirin
Goody's powders
Bandages
BandAids
Pain Medications - Percocet, Darvocet, Vicodin (whatever you can get )
Sinus relief pills
Eyedrops
Dental repair Kit (for making temporary fillings)
Tweezers
Moleskins for foot blisters
Small tube of vaseline

Here's my bag with everything in it -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cfbf3cccde40.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Asktheanimals]

[edit on 29-8-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Great info and pics! Thank you!

I will be reviewing the links and will get back later!!

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
S&F, I think this is again a wonderful thought out thread, and SOLID advice. I know the Country, and World are headed for rough times. I am claiming Asktheanimals for the Kingdom of SanchoEarlyJones; as Chief Of Survival Continuity..... Instead of being a Czar as We have currently, You'd be known as the Earl of Survival!..

thanks for the great thread!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Food - Dried, several pounds of each - jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea (MRE's are too bulky)

You need food with a high fat content.
This will provide long term energy.

This is must in cold weather.
The only food you have listed that has even a moderate fat content is the nuts but that is not enough.

The body uses 60 calories of sugar fast and after 3 to 4 hours your blood sugar levels will drop.
60 calories of Fat will give you the same energy but last for 8 to 12 hours

MREs are about 35 to 40% fat calories. they are made for troops that need a high energy output food.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anned

Food - Dried, several pounds of each - jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea (MRE's are too bulky)

You need food with a high fat content.
This will provide long term energy.

This is must in cold weather.
The only food you have listed that has even a moderate fat content is the nuts but that is not enough.

MREs are about 35 to 40% fat calories. they are made for troops that need a high energy output food.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by ANNED]

You make a good point Anned. Granola is very high in fat
though. Food that I carry is supplemental, trapping and hunting
would be the primary source of my fat calories - opposums,
raccoons, beaver and bear all have a great deal of fat on them.

Of course if you plan on killing a bear you better have a large
group to feed and help process the meat or else you will have
a lot of spoilage.
I'm a rather small person and I can't even eat half an MRE at
a sitting. For others though they might be a very good choice.
Fat is extremely important and you make a critical point.
Thanks Anned.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have the same water filter in my bob. It works great doesn't it?
It is sort of disconcerting at first, being able to drink straight out of a river.

I also have and reccoment the sports bottle version.
The filter is built into the cap.All you do is fill it up and drink stright out of it. It looks pretty much like any sports bottle.
Wal-Mart $40

Kind of like this one.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Hi. Good list. I noticed you dont go with a nylon tarp tho. Your thoughts? Last spring I went out a few times without a tent, to refresh stuff I learned as a teen. I came to the conclusion that, whilst I could build a shelter out of natural materials & given enough time make it reasonably waterproof, it did take a fair while. I also practiced using black trash bags. Again, it takes a while. My concern is that if I have to bug out, I could well end up cold, wet & exhausted, maybe injured: like really needing to get under cover & dry with minimal effort & quickly. I got 1 of these & some paracord. I can get it tied to trees/a fence in about 8mins.
PS how much does your kit weigh, with full canteens & food?

[edit on 30/8/09 by Bunken Drum]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum

Hi. Good list. I noticed you dont go with a nylon tarp tho. Your thoughts? Last spring I went out a few times without a tent, to refresh stuff I learned as a teen. I came to the conclusion that, whilst I could build a shelter out of natural materials & given enough time make it reasonably waterproof, it did take a fair while. I also practiced using black trash bags. Again, it takes a while. My concern is that if I have to bug out, I could well end up cold, wet & exhausted, maybe injured: like really needing to get under cover & dry with minimal effort & quickly. I got 1 of these & some paracord. I can get it tied to trees/a fence in about 8mins.
PS how much does your kit weigh, with full canteens & food?

[edit on 30/8/09 by Bunken Drum]

See #26 nylon rain poncho (i know it's a long list easy to miss) it's also a shelter half.

weight with food (8lbs), clothing, canteens (3 qts) and ammo (1000 rds of .22 and 100 9mm.) is....... drumroll plz............57lbs.

One other item have since included is a pair of green crocs. They weigh next to nothing and are great shoes for stalking or around camp.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Excellent Thread and Great comments and additions as well...

Keep up the great work people!!!

Semper

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Hi there, do you mind expanding on this one? Where do you get it from and what does it consist of?

I know how much a bad tooth can drag you down, so any tips for repair rather than removal would be most appreciated.

CX.

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Another one ATA.......you have the Frosts Mora knife there, i have a few of these for myself and also the kids to use. They are IMO one of the best knives for the low cost you can get.

They are very popular amongst the UK bushcraft community, i just wondered if they were as popular over there?

I love the feel of them, their toughness and a basically general hard worker for just a few pounds.

CX.

[edit on 30/8/09 by CX]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The Mora's are great knives. I have ordered just the blade blanks from here
www.leevalley.com...,51222&ap=1 and have made some custom handles out of a variety of unusual scrap woods sitting in my workshop. The blades hold an excellent edge.

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by CX

The Mora's are great knives. I have ordered just the blade blanks from here
www.leevalley.com...,51222&ap=1 and have made some custom handles out of a variety of unusual scrap woods sitting in my workshop. The blades hold an excellent edge.

Excellent, i didn't realise they did the blanks.

Thanks for the link.

CX.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I bought one of these ,
field tested it and I love it. Very simple design. Similar to the ones used in Vietnam by our troops but made from much lighter material.

It is actually very comfortable too. You won't lose any sleep.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Thanx for replying!
I've never tried a nylon poncho, but I was taught to use a canvas 1 in cadets. Honestly, it took time & the shelters were very small. Also, most designs were dependant on the wind blowing from 1 direction. What I like about a tarp is that it goes up very quickly & because of the eyelets & loops is super versatile, so making changes in bad weather should be much easier.
Still, if you can carry 57lbs for long periods, I'm suspecting you're in better shape than me! I'm not exactly a lump of dough, but I know that, including clothes & boots, even 50lbs would tax me to my limits. I'll need things as easy as possible...

JHC, that looks like a good system. I thought about getting the hammoc that goes with the tarp I got. Think maybe I should have, but I'm not bothered about insects here in the UK. Yeah they bite & near water there's no avoiding them, but there's no malaria etc. to worry about.
I'm expecting to be plenty itchy from dirt for a while anyway!

Something else I've always thought essential is a thermal mat. So light, waterproof & saves the time foraging plant material for insulation.
Seriously, I think planning to be hardcore is a mistake. Unless you are Special Forces style fit.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

I guess I should mention that I wear a tac vest and keep certain
items in it such as my knife. pistol. mags. compass, flashlight &
watertabs. I also keep a 100oz, water bladder on the back. Worse
comes to worse I still have enough to survive on if I can't keep
my pack. I could probably dump another 10 lbs from the pack
if I really needed to.

I've often wondered if you could pull a hammock high enough in
the trees to avoid detection at night. They sure wouldnt be looking
for you to be sleeping up there!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by Asktheanimals

Hi there, do you mind expanding on this one? Where do you get it from and what does it consist of?

I know how much a bad tooth can drag you down, so any tips for repair rather than removal would be most appreciated.

CX.

The dental repair kit has a temporary filling kit in it.

Clove oil is excellent for stopping tooth nerve pain.

The resin that accumulates at the base where cattail leaves join is a natural pain reliever for a bad tooth.

People with dentures might want to carry some super glue.

Frontier people would soak a chewed twig of dogwood in whisky and use that as a toothbrush.

You can make dental floss by using thin strands of animal sinew.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Yeah, the vest sounds like a good plan. I'm starting to think I need to invest in more military surplus gear. My pack is Austrian army & has multiple fittings to attach to webbing, but I've not bothered to get compatible gear. Hmmm...
Re: tooth pain
My teeth have been terrible all my life & I have a serious dentist phobia. Clove oil is of limited use. Jamaican Dogwood as tea works a bit. Packing wax into a damaged tooth cuts down the pain considerably, so long as the site is cleaned with strong toothpaste 1st. Honestly tho, if it gets bad, the only relief is strong opiates.
Without meaning to get into illegal behaviour, considering that such are also very useful in other serious injuries, having such to hand is probably a very good idea. For a natural source, Wild Lettuce can be used, as an alternative to Poppies, but its so bitter that consuming enough for pharmaceutical effect is difficult & Lactucarine is approx 10x weaker than Morphine.

Yeah, I like the idea of stringing a hammock high up. I spent some time in a huge squat once, where I was in constant demand. I strung a hammock in the 3 story atrium & managed to get a lot more sleep!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join