It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Inhofe (R) - Me no read bill - Me against bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Originally posted by astrij
For those of you claim he should be commended for adhering to what his constituents want; Is it really what they want or what they have been told they want?

I think it is a fairly safe bet that very few Americans that are opposed to this reform have even bothered to read the 1000 page document for themselves.

Rather, they have formed their opinions of it based upon the propaganda and misinformation that is spread via certain media conglomerates throughout the US.

I would take that same bet for the Americans who are FOR it.

This is what I find funny. It doesn't matter what the bill is or who is proposing what, those who are in favor for it always act smarter then those who are in opposistion.

You can say what you want, but I doubt you have read this bill. If you are brave enough to admit the truth, tell me something. Why are you for it when you have no idea what it says?

Maybe it is you who has formed your opinion around propaganda?

I am brave enough to admit that I have not read the bill. However, I think that many claims in its regards are fear mongering at best. Assumptions like euthanasia, when in reality, from reading snippets, it seems as though it was actually focused on people who were dying and giving them the option of counseling as a means of helping them deal with their impending deaths. That sounds like compassion to me.

Or that Americans would lose their private insurance and be forced to participate in a universal health care system when it was reiterated countless times that those allegations were completely untrue.

I will admit however, that it is difficult to trust politicians these days. One minute they are pissing away trillions of dollars in taxpayer funds to international financial institutions and the next they are offering what seems on the surface, like a viable health care alternative for those who cannot afford private insurance. And of course this list could go back and fourth and on and on.

It is becoming increasingly difficult in today's political climate to know who exactly it is to trust. It makes it even more difficult when the media espouses information from every possible angle and could be involved in any number of agendas.

Whether or not I have read this bill, however, should not absolve the fact that Senator Inhofe refused to read the bill that he decided to pass on. And neither have many American who do not support this bill, either. And as you have stated, neither have those who are in support of it.

As an aside, I do not think that I ever stated whether I was for or against this bill anyway. The true importance of this thread is that a US senator who is paid by his constituents to do his job has decided to do just the opposite.

If this were any other bill, and senators refused to read what it was they were voting upon, Americans would be up in arms. And for good reason too.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by astrij

"I am brave enough to admit that I have not read the bill. However, I think that many claims in its regards are fear mongering at best. Assumptions like euthanasia, when in reality, from reading snippets, it seems as though it was actually focused on people who were dying and giving them the option of counseling as a means of helping them deal with their impending deaths. That sounds like compassion to me."

But you haven't read it so tell me why your opinion on the subject should matter?

You getting your talking points from MSNBC or some other form of propaganda?

I haven't read it either. The only reason I'm not for it is because I have heard Obama talk about how he plans on paying for it and I dont' think it will work.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Couldn't be better said.

I sent my reps to D.C. to stand up to the crud that passes for "legislation" lately. I did so because Ibelieve they know what needs to be carefully considered, and what needs to thrown straight into the shredder.

I especially want them to vote "NO" on ANYTHING that comes from Waxman (cap and trade) or Rangel (Obamacare).

Some Congressmen/women have a reputation for outlandish, impossible "legislation." Their bills are legitimately put in the 'circular file' 99% of the time.

Henry Waxman and Charlie Rangel are notorious for proposed "bills" that have absolutely NO CHANCE of passage. Their aides draft them, and they file them, to appease special interests, "make a statement," or otherwise express themselves.

There is no reason for a busy Rep. or Sen., concerned with his constituents' best interests, to waste time on a (hypothetical) "We Love Mickey Mouse" resolution, or a "Tax the Rich to Death," or "Take Back the Panama Canal" bill.

A WISE Congressman spends his time constructively. Voting "NO" on 'trash' bills and resolutions is prudent and correct. Introducing "trash" is wasteful and childish.

s4u

Deny ignorance!
jw

[edit on 28-8-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
For those of you who have not read this bill (I have read it) and would like to, and possibly beat Inhofe in reading it before him, here you go :

Healthcare Reform Bill : H.R. 3200 : PDF 1018 pages

Let's read it if you have not and bring it into the discussion and intelligently speak on why Inhofe might not have bothered to read it.

You can go here to see who has and has not voted on it as well :

Open Congress : Actions and Votes

You can even vote if you support it or not.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

double post (how did that happen?)

[edit on 28-8-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
For those of you who have not read this bill (I have) and would like to, and possibly beat Inhofe in reading it before him, here you go :

Healthcare Reform Bill : PDF 1018 pages

Let's read it if you have not and bring it into the discussion and intelligently speak on why Inhofe might not have bothered to read it.

You have sold me. I will take the next few days or so to read it. I suppose that would be the intelligent thing to do before opening my big mouth regarding a subject in which I may not be fully educated on.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Since Mr. Inhofe has chosen to neither read the bill or want to know what's in it, maybe one of his constituents can explain it to him by sending him this. It is a little patronizing, but from the sounds of it that's exactly what he needs as right now he's simply acting like a spoiled child with his hands on his earns screaming "nananana I don't want to hear anything about healthcare." I should know, I have three of them.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Here is a very good reason on why he won't vote for it. I posted it on page 2 I think but will post it again.

www.news9.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Alright, I've downloaded the document. I'll have it translated to English and I'll see my fellow ATSers in about a year.

Wish me luck.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by astrij

Keep it in PDF format.

I began printing the Bailout Package, but after three ink cartidges, I decided to just read it from the computer.

reply to post by jd140

As I mentioned earlier, him making the comment was a negative sound byte.

Negative sound bytes can guarantee a politician might not get re-elected, espcially if the lobbyist's paying pull out their funding.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Now I get it thinkprogress.org...

[edit on 28-8-2009 by haterproof]

[edit on 28-8-2009 by haterproof]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by haterproof

Hah, amazing video!

Maybe we should start showing people this!

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Isn't this how all politicians are? What! Did you just realize it? At least this one is honest, most just lie and you guys believe, such a sad world. Spineless.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Except in this case, honesty is the BAD thing.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Since this is ATS, perhaps this example will drill home what's wrong with this Senator's refusal to even read the Bill:

Anyone remember The Patriot Act? They passed that one without reading it, just voted along party lines.

And don't even get me started on the Bank Bailout Legislation...

What party lines?

House Reps
Party -Yeas-Nays-PRES-NV
Republican-211-3-0-5
Democratic-145-62-0-4
Independent-1-1-0-0
TOTALS-357-66-0-9

Senate
YEAS - 98
NAYS - 1 (Fiengold-WI)
NV - 1

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The Patriot Act, in my opinion, was only passed because of 9/11.

I think a lot of people felt that because of what happened, we should do whatever was necessary to stop the terrorists.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceP1974

To tell you the truth, I couldn't remember how the vote fell along party lines until you reminded me. But it not only makes me angrier, it only serves to prove my point even further. Neither party of jackholes bothered to read that batch of toilet paper before passing into Law!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The people who oppose the health care reform legislation that is still in the process of being discussed and amended and haven't even looked at the legislation (I bet there are a lot more than Imhofe--he's just honest about it) are showing their hand.

They don't care to know anything about it. They don't want to contribute to the ongoing process of drafting legislation because they know already that they don't want to add anything constructive to the debate.

They have already decided to do everything in their power to stamp their feet and just say "No!"

The rationale is simple:

Anything President Obama does -- bad.
Anything Democrats do--bad
Government--bad
People who say no to bad things--good.

They are counting on the American public to just swallow these assumptions without questioning. It's easy to say no and hard to say yes. As P.T. Barnum once said, "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the public."

I think the American people have some surprises in store for them. The people who want health care reform are at present being drowned out by the cries of the naysayers, but before this is over they will be heard.

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I think the American people have some surprises in store for them. The people who want health care reform are at present being drowned out by the cries of the naysayers, but before this is over they will be heard.

Have you read the Bill. If so, do you understand the implications of every single paragraph. This bill, in it's current form, is almost unreadable. For that reason I have to agree with the naysayers.

However I do agree with you on the fact that this legislation will be passed. People will be sold on the idea that Health reform is needed and will support any Bill whose title fits. Most could care less what is actually in the Bill or the fact that they need a law degree and a month off work to read and comprehend the Bill.

How can anyone support such a monstrosity.

Edit to add:

The rationale is simple:

Anything President Obama does -- bad.
Anything Democrats do--bad
Government--bad
People who say no to bad things--good.

This is not true. At least not for every one opposed to this Bill. Some of us just want readable legislation. If I am going to support giving away the keys to the castle I, at the very least, want to know what it will look like when I come back...

[edit on 3-9-2009 by harvib]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Cool thread...just goes to show you that Public Relations trumps any relevant trait associated with positions of societal responsibility...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join