It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Guilty of Bad Photoshop Use, Not Racism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

If Microsoft is to be tagged "racist," its critics need to do a lot better. I understand the sensitivity involved, and some bozo should have thought twice before editing a white man's head to replace a black man's head in an advertising photo, but that doesn't make MS racist.

Hot news: This happens all the time. It's just usually done better, or ideally, an entirely different picture is selected. And it happens here at home, too.

A few months ago, standing in a Wells Fargo bank branch, a friend says he saw two versions of the same ad--each slightly different.

One included a Latina woman, the other an Asian woman, completely swapped--whole body--one for the other. Does this make Wells Fargo racist? Of course, not

www.pcworld.com... y_of_Bad_Photoshop_Use_Not_Racism.html

Hmm, bad photoshop editing or not, Microsoft needs to really start concentrating. Google about to come up and send Microsoft on a hike, its about time they start working with the public rather than becoming public enemy number 1.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yeah the faux guy looked like he had a broken neck in the picture.

It was ridiculous.

Are they saying the Polish are shallow enough to prefer seeing a white man involved within the picture so they will be more inclined to buy Micro$oft's products?

They can say it was done for marketing reasons but I thought it was just lame.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Apparently they use the same guys to do the Photoshopping, as they use to do the programming. they might have done better just cutting a guy' head out from a magazine, and pasting it on.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Oh man, I can't stop laughing...that just looks so silly!

I understand the reason, though silly, that they did this--they wanted to appeal to the largely homogeneously white Polish people. That being said, I wonder why they didn't photoshop over the Asian guy. Is it possible that, the photoshopper, after doing the one head, just stopped and said, "Man, this is hard..."

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae53c8499f0a.png[/atsimg]

For those who have not yet seen this: The top image was the original "un-photoshopped" version, the bottom one is the photoshopped version. (Not that it is not obvious :lol

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It's safe to say Microsoft sucks at photoshop, just look at this one as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I didn't think the editing was actually that bad. It looks a little cheesey but then so do the other people in the picure. I don't see this as racist. Maybe they just thought the guy was a little too ugly to fit into this perfect and sexy world of ours.

I actually photoshopped my friends head onto a black mans body and turned him all white. It was on the body on a boxer getting punched. I was actually very proud of it. Anyway, if Microsoft is racist, I must be too.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

You wonder why they go through all that effort and then end up on photoshopdisasters when the could have just taken a sprinter to a track and photographed him?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So this ad was directed at the Polish populace....hmmm, gee, I wonder how many black folk live in Poland? And I wonder how many Asians live in Poland? This is getting old. I think it should have been ALL Poliish people in the ads. Let's be realistic....who really cares???

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by System

Your story and microsoft's is in a completely different boat. You photoshopped for fun, I also do that all the time...no harm done. Microsoft in the other hand photoshops a black person out of the image for an ad compaign in poland, when the rest of the world see's the original?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Then I apologise for not reading the whole story. I thought everyone saw the edited version. I think someone needs to give the person behind this ad a slap.

top topics

join