It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs guns, when you got one of these.. Very effective

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

a silencer too its always another option

a slingshot is not an option for me tho

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance Denied

yes a coconut and sling shot are almost idiot proof, the only problem is out side of supermarkets you cant find many of them in most parts of the world

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Legal in California. I have one in my survival kit - bought it at Big 5 Sporting Goods

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have a slingshot and while I've had fun flinging rocks and ball bearings at things, I'd not pack even that extra few ounces in my pack if it was a real survival situation. If you put in equal practice with a bow, you have a far deadlier and more efficient weapon. Granted,it is larger and harder to carry bit well worth it,IMO. Much as I love my bows, I'm under no illusion that they are superior to firearms in the department of killing things.

As far as being able to shoot quietly, there are these wonderful rounds for the .22 called CB's. They come in long or short rounds, although I believe velocity is the same. They are subsonic,and seriously quiet. They are quiet a bit quieter than many of the powerful air guns,while still shooting a 29gr bullet,substantially more than a pellet. Last week,a mule deer doe was hit on the road near my house. She was down but not dead, unable to move her back legs but still trying to crawl on her front legs. I took a .22 and a couple Cb long rounds and went to put her down. It was dark and there was a house nearby,so I didn't want to frighten anyone. I shot her once in the back of teh head,and she collapsed instantly. I put one through the forehead just for insurance. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to penetrate the skull with these little rounds, but they did the job and no one heard a a thing.

You can also handload most rounds down to subsonic levels, if you have the right data. I use Hammond game getters,which use .22 powerhammer loads to shoot lead balls in a regular rifle. Again,very quiet and with a heavy lead ball, very deadly.
Storing ammo or components is not hard. A shoebox full of primers can last you a lifetime of wise use. Same goes for .22 ammo. I have no reason to believe I'll run out of ammo in my lifetine, no matter what happens. If we run out of ammo, we've likely also run out of things to shoot at.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been covered. A Pipe gun 1/2" pvc pipe 1 metre long with a extra heavy duty rubber glove finger secured over one end. Obviously you dont want to come up against someone with a gun against this, although with razor projectiles it could cause some damage from a safe distance when hunting. Would be handy to have a heavy duty sling shot by your side with some big nasty projectiles for close range combat.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Good to have one around, if all else fails for what ever reason. Though, I still think bows are the best alternative and in some cases better than guns.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Well this thread has made me feel a lot better about the huge arsenal of non explosive weapons my house hold has accumulated. We have a couple of sling shots, bought at wal-mart in PA. Air soft guns, BB guns, pellet guns, cross bows, Chinese stars...

My husband has this thing he made out of pvc pipe used with lighter fluid. I think its called a potato gun. It launches stuff. If he doesn’t put anything in it he calls it a "dry fire". It is loud as hellll, sounds like a gun. Man do the kids get a kick out of that thing!!

Anyway, cool thread dude

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
For those choosing guns over slingshots, please give this notion a thought:

In a rebellion or otherwise guerrilla tactics situation, would you rather be the army, or people with slingshots shooting grenades/improvised explosives from trees/bushes with slingshots?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Good to have one around, if all else fails for what ever reason. Though, I still think bows are the best alternative and in some cases better than guns.

The slingshot's that the German guy in the OP's video uses are a bit of a white elephant.

Yes the gear he's got is good. Yet all that is made by himself and he WILL NOT teach anyone how to fabricate or sell any of it on the market due to litigation fears.
The thick ribbon-type rubber bands he is using are special one's that I've yet to see anywhere else.

Great bit's of kit, but underpowered...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I used to hang out on the same forums as Joerg, most of his ideals come from others, he just builds off of that. I remember him checking out some Russian made slingshots, those where the craziest looking ones that I ever seen, some of them where homemade compound slingshots. Wish I had kept that link!!!

A slingshot is not a long lasting survival weapon, the bands can dry out very fast if left in the daylight, and can snap unexpectedly. In the winter the rubber bands loose their snap, and shoots best in the summer. The best way to maintain a slingshot is to store them in a dark place near the ground. I keep mine in a ziplock bag with extra bands stored in a Alice pack.

If looking to build your own survival slingshot, look up Theraband Gold on ebay (that is what Joerg uses too) . You can buy huge strips of rubber, cut it with one of those rotatory fabric cutters. A survival slingshot should be small, no bigger than your palm and be over the top shooting style. They are easy to carry and store in your pockets, very accurate and powerful too.

Joerg demostrates over the top style slingshots.
www.youtube.com...

The handmade slingshots made by Fish in the UK (www.huntercatapults.co.uk) are extremely popular. The laminated wood is really sturdy, and the clever design makes the Fish products very attractive indeed. The "Hunter" model had been reviewed earlier by The Slingshot Channel, and the arrival of the new ergonomic model (called "Ergo2") called for another video. The outcome was almost predictable: This is one of the very best commercially available slingshots on the market.

The best slingshots are the ones you make yourself, plus fun....

edit on 22-4-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This guy IS Lord Humungous from the Road Warrior! LOL

Some how that movie was a documentary of the future where this guy takes over.. also explains how he made those amazing road warrior vehicles...
edit on 22-4-2011 by 8311-XHT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth4hire
I suppose these are outlawed in many states...

Anyone know?

you can buy them at any wallmart...they are only good for very close things...go 50 yards maybe and forget it...it will not have enough force to do the job and not enough penitration to kill beyond that.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Stock bought, this is true. Buy different gauge medical tubing, and they gain more power though. It won't replace a gun in all situations obviously, but I can think of some uses that I would rather pick up a free rock, rather than waste some bullets. Taking out lights is a great use for slignshots for example.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join